In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Caliper bushing(?)/spring is stuck. Honda Civic

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by JackHammer, Jul 25, 2021.

1. JackHammer

JackHammer

You are going to make Warner lose his job saying that!

2. Warner

Warner

It’s cool, everybody’s different. It’s not the first time I have heard someone say they have been doing this or that longer than I have been alive…

3. JackHammer

JackHammer

I was referring to the #metoo comment.

4. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

That’s a pretty common issue with those rear pins. My son had the same not long after getting his 05 TL. They were probably neglected since new.

I agree Kevin. I’d much prefer antisieze in there over a grease. Just my experience.

brenndatomu and PA Mountain Man like this.
  5. Warner

Warner

6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I'm on both sides of this issue...I've used AS on slide pins plenty of times, it worked ok, but the next time I took it apart (several years later) the AS was dried out and the pin, while not froze in place, was not sliding freely...I went back to using "brake grease" and have been seeing better long term results.
    The other issue I've had was here recently at work, where we use AS alot! I had a stainless shaft/hub assembly that I coated with AS before putting it together (as recommended by the OEM) the hub gets heated to about 250-300* so it will slide over the shaft and can be pinned in place before it cools/shrinks (a light press fit) This particular piece had never been apart since new, and I expected a fight because it spent the last 8 years or so in a damp nasty atmosphere, but it came apart fine.
    After reassembling the shaft/hub we quickly realized that there was an issue elsewhere and the whole thing needed to come back apart again...should be easy since everything was new and coated with high temp AS, right? NOPE! We had an epic battle getting it back apart...when it finally did come what we found was hard thin flakes of AS between the shaft and hub...making the "light press fit" into a "tight press fit"! :hair: It went back together with some high temp grease the second time!

PA Mountain Man likes this.
  7. Warner

Warner

Well put, I’m not saying AS won’t work more there are more longer lasting products out there. Had a few come backs with AS, witch meant I had to repair on my own time so my opinion might be a bit bias.

brenndatomu and PA Mountain Man like this.
  8. Warner

Warner

And you touch the stuff in the morning and you will find it on your pillow that night! Stuff gets everywhere!

huskihl and brenndatomu like this.
  9. huskihl

huskihl

That's another good thing about using grease rather than AS….in 2 years when you replace the pads the grease is all gone and the pins are just rusty. No AS on the finners :D:zip::picard::deadhorse:

10. Warner

Warner

:salute:

A quick watch for anybody interested.

11. JackHammer

JackHammer

So I got some high temp grease, 2 new pins and new rubber bushings. Put everything together and it is working great. Feels right under my foot and is not locked up.
    I do hear a skittering between the rotor and the pads. I drove maybe 4 miles to test everything. Will this sound go away with a few more miles? It goes away with more break pressure. I am thinking that this is probably just due to me opening everything up and the pad will level out after a while. But... I also don't want to find myself in a bad spot if this is not the case.

Beetle-Kill likes this.
  12. JackHammer

JackHammer

Thanks for the help everyone! I ended up replacing the pads, calipers and rotors. Working much better!
    :yes:

13. Fifelaker

Fifelaker

Yes, it now sucks for slides. I've heard the temperature is too high for the silver stuff.

14. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Standard AS is good up to 2000*(ish...varies by brand a bit), the high temp stuff (nickel based) only buys you another 4-500*
    Loctite Anti-Seize | What Type Do You Require?