In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

By The BTU

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by thewoodlands, Mar 4, 2014.

  1. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Here's a list of the work I have for this spring/summer/fall by the BTU.

    All this wood is down from last years wind events or damaged by the ice storm this winter.

    1. Hop Hornbeam (Ironwood) 26.4
    2. Sugar Maple / 23.2
    3. American Beech / 22.7
    4. Yellow Birch / 22.1
    5. Red Maple / 20.0
    6. Black Cherry / 19.5
    7. Hemlock / 15.3 (Shoulder Season Wood)
    8. White Pine / 13.2 (Shoulder Season Wood)

    I took the BTU ratings from here.
    https://chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm
     
  2. Loon

    Loon

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    6,560
    Likes Received:
    37,138
    Location:
    North of the border
    Sounds like a bunch of fun work woodlands :cool: You guys have alot of Ironwood over there?
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  3. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    It will be a busy year cutting, just like everyone else. Yes we have alot of Ironwood, I will only take the damaged trees.
     
  4. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I'll have some seasoned (two years) Ironwood for this coming heating season, I'm hoping the Oak scrounge I did will be ready too.

    I usually have some ready for my neighbor but after this cold winter, what I have will stay with us.
     
    Backwoods Savage and Loon like this.
  5. Loon

    Loon

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    6,560
    Likes Received:
    37,138
    Location:
    North of the border
    Dont blame ya one bit ;)
     
  6. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I started looking for some dead Elm on my ride on the sled, pic 8696 is just two smaller ones, we have a chit load of these in different areas of our property, pic 8695 is that split Ash that won't come down, pic 8697 has a damaged Ironwood from the ice storm.
     

    Attached Files:

    NortheastAl and Backwoods Savage like this.
  7. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,161
    Location:
    Central MI
    And to think zap. This does not account for what will come down this year.
     
    NortheastAl and thewoodlands like this.
  8. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Thanks for reminding me, like you said before, it's never ending.

    I'm actually ready to hit the hills for the downed beech, depending on the weather it should be a good year cutting.
     
  9. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,161
    Location:
    Central MI
    Zap, it was beautiful weather today here. Almost got to 20 with plenty of sunshine. Give us hope that soon that sun will warm the outside air too.
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  10. Fanatical1

    Fanatical1

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2014
    Messages:
    2,688
    Likes Received:
    12,293
    Location:
    Ohio
    Looks like some easy pickens to me. Close to the trail, not too big and not much splitting. All gravy in my book.

    First on my list this spring is a scarlet oak that broke in half in a bad storm we had a while back. It was nice that it came down next to a spot where I have been stacking some wood! After that is some tulip, maple and white oak all dead standing or down.

    You can see the other half of the trunk layin down behind the wood pile.

    image.jpg
     
  11. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    We have a two day warm up starting on Friday, we really don't get warm weather until the third or fourth week of March.

    It's just a matter of time before we get back to normal, lots of people talking today about how sick of winter they are.

    Up this way we're hoping for a few more weeks of running the sleds, just snow not the cold.
     
    Backwoods Savage and NortheastAl like this.
  12. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Nice size tree, that smaller dead Elm I hope to use for 2014 -15 shoulder season wood.
     
    NortheastAl likes this.
  13. sherwood

    sherwood

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2013
    Messages:
    980
    Likes Received:
    1,917
    Location:
    Big RIdeau Lake, Southern Ontario
    Zap, I've been cutting up a lot of smaller Ironwood that has been down for a while. I must have twenty at least still to go. Have a larger Ironwood, about 12 DBH just off my road that Terry damaged slightly ( strip of about 3 inch x 8 inch of bark off) after the last big snowstorm when he widened the road way wider than it has ever been to have room to plow the snow. Hope it survives.

    I have 5 sugar maples within about thirty feet of the house (some closer) that are all showing signs of dying - long term result of that infamous ice storm when their tops were all badly damaged. I don't feel comfortable dealing with them because they are so close to the home. Going to get a friend to look at them - he's a much more experienced tree cutter than I. If he doesn't feel comfortable cutting them, then I get the Thompson's in. They are fabulous, but also pricy.

    Have a beech that a porcupine ringed and is now over and hung up in a tree, an two large Beech that twisted and split in a wind storm. They are don the cliff near the beach, but I may C/S them, and gradually carry splits up the cliff after each swim this summer.

    Have a dead ash that is small, near my garden fence. Have been enjoying watching a pileated excavate huge holes in it this week. It needs to come down.

    Then, I have to cut all the up to thirty year old trees that have grown in since I built, which have stolen all my veggie garden's sunlight.

    Then I have to C/S/S the stuff hydro cut on the hydro right of way across my property.

    All told, should give me a few years wood. Then, I have to deal with the downed trees on my sister's property.

    Maybe I'll take my camera out tomorrow, when it will be warmer, for pictures, then try to figure out how to post them.

    Availability of wood is not my problem.

    I wish I could find somewhere that had data on BTUs from dense versus normal growth wood. I'm going to weigh some of my Ironwood and Maple this spring. I have very dense, heavy wood. I'm sure I have way more BTU's per cord than most. I have to have, given the amount of wood I burn versus others.
    I'll try weighing a few cubic feet of Ironwood for starters.
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  14. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    It sounds like you'll be busy for a few years.