In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Buying ammo for trades

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by FatBoy85, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Horkn

Horkn

Yes. 1/2-28 for 223 and for the 30 cal are 5/8-24

Chaz, FatBoy85 and stihl sawing like this.
  2. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I’ll have to see about a 5.56.

Chaz and Horkn like this.
  3. Horkn

Horkn

Same as the 223 for the threaded end

Chaz and FatBoy85 like this.
  4. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Really? Hey I’m glad if that’s the case.

5. Horkn

Horkn

Chaz and FatBoy85 like this.
  6. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

7. Horkn

Horkn

No, not yet, but I hear good things about them.

Chaz, EODMSgt and FatBoy85 like this.
  8. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I’ll be looking on there for a bit I’m sure. The markdowns are substantial for some products but I should find a comparison site for their prices. Can’t complain though, seem to have great deals.

Chaz, Horkn and EODMSgt like this.
  9. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

I've ordered from opticsplanet many times over the years. Sometimes they are a bit slow to ship (list it as in stock but have to order it) however most items arrive quickly. I've ordered Leupold scopes from them with no issues.

Chaz, FatBoy85 and Horkn like this.
  10. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Do they package it well, the peanuts or bubble wrap and the like? I’m only leery about optics being handled but usually if any website has a good return plan, they’ll fix it and send a new one.

Chaz, Horkn and EODMSgt like this.
  11. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

It's been about three years since the last time I bought a scope from them however if I remember, it was packaged ok. I ordered a custom scope direct from Leupold and all they did was ship it in a box barely big enough for the scope box and with no packing material whatsoever. No issues with the scope however I wasn't too thrilled with the way they shipped an expensive custom item (and right from the manufacturer). I've returned a couple things over the years to opticsplanet and had no issues with returns.

Chaz, Horkn and FatBoy85 like this.
  12. JackHammer

JackHammer

How do you like the Ruger Guide Gun? I looked at those but I opted for a Henry in .45-70. I liked the fast second shot of the lever action. Also, if I find 4 deer lined up in a row, I won't need a second shot. :D

Funny enough, I picked it up during the lockdown and aside from slow shipping, I really had no problems with purchasing the gun or ammo. I guess uncommon calibers aren't so bad after all.

FatBoy85, EODMSgt, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  13. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

I'm a big fan of bolt action rifles and am impressed with the Guide Gun (I have two, one in .375 Ruger and one in .300 WinMag). Great for brush country and rapid deployment.

14. chris

chris

I too am a fan of bolt units, but i do have a pump carbine, and semi auto( not on ar platform) and that is aside my Garand., plus bolt hand held loundenboomers. Spent many years in competition with the bolt units- hence my preference. With the bolt units I do not have to put up with lawyerized triggers.

FatBoy85, EODMSgt and Horkn like this.
  15. Horkn

Horkn

My go to deer rifle has been my ruger M77 all weather Stainless in 7mm rem mag. This thing is a track driver, and does that well past the distance that I typically hunt at. That said, I rarely get to shoot at deer past about 100 yards up north. I could easily use either the 6.8spc SS Ranch rifle, or the 7.62x39 AR I'm awaiting to put together for deer up north. Now if I either start hunting down here in the farm fields or out west by my cousins in Western Wisconsin, then that 7mm M77 will be needed with the long fields they have.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    Ronaldo, FatBoy85 and EODMSgt like this.
  16. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

I have options (let's just say I have a 'selection' to choose from :D) but my go to is usually a bolt action. The bear I got last year was with a Browning X-Bolt 30-06. I love that X-Bolt platform.

Horkn likes this.
  17. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I’ve not seen any 45-70 be a SUPER popular choice because usually the ammo that is Out is plinker ammo.
    Not specifically no but any ammo that is 50 cents give or take a round is pretty much off the shelves. Sounds like a fun round to shoot though. I’ve wanted a lever Loading rifle, Marlin in that caliber. Although I’ve heard things about Marlin rifles made today now that aren’t all that about quality control.

I can’t say for how much you paid for those but all rifle ammo used in specific for hunting or training for it, stayed on shelves. It’s definitely any SHTF type that you can shove several hundred rounds into a box is what people seem to want to get. But I can see why a big caliber like this could be something very useful.

EODMSgt, JackHammer and Horkn like this.
  18. JackHammer

JackHammer

You are right. The ammo is specialized and a little less common in most scenarios.

The funny thing is- my shtf firearm is a Hatsan .30 big bore air rifle. Theoretically, you could take down a deer with it. The pump is 50lb, so a little heavy but it does great. A tin of 100 rounds is like 8 bucks. I like it and would recommend. I use it for raccoons and the occasional skunk.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    FatBoy85, EODMSgt and Horkn like this.
  19. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Might have to check this one out. Your gun being a pump gun is definitely a well thought out idea, gonna internet this thing now. Thank you.

JackHammer and Horkn like this.
  20. chris

chris

That Hatsun is a PCP rifle ( pre compressed air or- scuba tank at 3000psi ) He has a bout twice the price of the rifle in the pump. Yes I also have various pcp units in 177 and 22 been lusting after that 45 cal Texan from Airforce along with a couple others. So many toys so little time- not to mention the pocket book. Big old coon in the log pile at dark 30 this morning - went out there to encourage some German hornets to find a different home and was surprised by the coon, Rats - I didn't take a pistol with me.

Horkn, JackHammer and FatBoy85 like this.