In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Buying ammo for trades

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by FatBoy85, Jun 13, 2020.

1. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Question: I’ve not found much but is there any Russian/ Eastern ammo plant that makes brass ammo for AKs? The regular makers like Wolf (heard they don’t make their ammo, they just buy it and label it as it), and TulAmmo. Wolf does have it in .223 but it’s a premium version. Russians settle for “good enough”.
    My reasoning behind this is since I had read that AK’s are quite destructive on brass enough that it renders Brass rounds unable to be reloaded. So would they had focus on making a more steel friendly chamber, since it’s loads cheaper than its brass option. At least from a military standpoint, this is inherently cheaper.
    I’m aware they make brass rounds in Taiwan or Indonesia but perhaps their actions are more forgiving? Russia is also said to be more abundant in iron mines so they make the steel while brass gets saved for more valued applications.

stihl sawing, Chaz and Horkn like this.
  2. Horkn

Horkn

Sounds valid. I also know that AK's will shoot anything. So since they will, why bother with more expensive cases?

stihl sawing, Chaz and FatBoy85 like this.
  3. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

There’s a YouTuber who’s by the name of Lunker, he does some video with an AK that they had some issues with. The cycling. I guess the bolt would spring forward, they’d fire but no return. The bolt would be stuck and needed some machining. They took some Dremel work to it, seemed to do the trick.

I don’t recall what they used for ammo, but seems to me that it would be wrong to blame ammo as a whole when the gun needs a slight deburring or smoothing to clean the action up. With some guns not getting a great deal of quality control, being slapped together by automatic machinery, one could assume some fine tuning is needed.

I thought I would need to do that on my 1911 since the site for their guns says “Firearms may require some millwork”. So far I’ve only had it malfunction once and that was an unfired round that got caught stove-piping in the chamber. Beautifully working .45 though. Even got lucky, picked up some ammo for it last week.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    stihl sawing, Chaz and Horkn like this.
  4. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

5. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Chaz, stihl sawing and Horkn like this.
  6. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

They are louder, especially with a muzzle brake.

Chaz and FatBoy85 like this.
  7. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I’ve been on a bit of a research bender with those and the compensators and flash hiders. Been paying attention to what’s on the end of some people’s barrels and what they’re performing since yesterday’s trip was a good variety of people with their firearms. Lots of AR’s yesterday, couple AR-10’s.

Some have nothing, just a cap with iron sights if that. One fella was shooting what looked to be .223 but hard to tell, no flash and no brake or hider. Another had an interesting one but I couldn’t exactly tell what it’s true function was. It would let out a good bang, little flash same for two shots then a loud deep *thunk* with a bigger flash. Seemed like it might have been a combo functioning attachment? Much bigger than mine so to speak.

Chaz, Horkn and stihl sawing like this.
  8. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

The ones without anything might have been a california compliant one. they can't have flash hiders. couple other states that can't either. Muzzle brakes are ok i guess, i really don't care for them. i never seen the need for one on a small caliber weapon. now maybe on a 50 cal or 338. plus you can't shoot a gun with one without ear protection and i don't like wearing that stuff hunting. for the range they are fine. you have to wear it anyway.

With that said i do have a few rifles that they come on and have hunted with them. i wear the sonic ear plugs.

Chaz, Horkn, Ronaldo and 1 other person like this.
  9. Horkn

Horkn

Uh yeah. My dad bought a browning BAR mark II with the BOSS system on it in 300 win mag. That was his deer rifle before he started to have issues walking due to ALS. He didn't want to ding that safari grade gun you so he bought the 6.8 spc ranch rifle. Anyways, that boss system is LOUD with the muzzle brake. The other non brake one is on it now as that doesn't make near the sound that the holey one makes.

Chaz, Ronaldo, Beetle-Kill and 3 others like this.
  10. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

I'm not a big fan of the radial-ported muzzle brakes. They do reduce some of the recoil however in the larger calibers, you definitely get a lot of the noise/pressure coming back towards you. I had one on my .375 Ruger Guide Gun and removed it.

47125.jpg

11. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

I've heard guys say they keep a 308AR loaded for home defense with a muzzle brake. I never said anything but they apparently have never shot a gun indoors. i can't imagine a 308 indoors with a brake. I took the flash hider of my 223 i keep loaded and put a flash foward muzzle device on it. it throws all the noise and flash toward what ever you shoot at. i have shot it outdoors and can tell it's not as loud but haven't indoors.

Chaz, Beetle-Kill, FatBoy85 and 2 others like this.
  12. Horkn

Horkn

Subsonic 300 blackout or 7.62x39 much better for that kind of duty. Lighter too.

My dad would hunt from a shack. Plywood walls and old windows to open and shoot from. That BOSS brake on 300win mag was hella loud.

13. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

14. chris

chris

Problem with rifle or high velocity/ power hand guns inside - goes right through walls- just saying. shot gun better inside. if i were to shoot a 308 inside it likely wood exit the building. Even a .22 would make it through at least one if not 2 walls. On most home structures of more or less current construction. Now homes built in the old plaster lath type walls are a bit different.

Chaz, Horkn, FatBoy85 and 1 other person like this.
  15. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

If it’s explained in a way, its like having a whistle on the end of a gun. At least from a learning perspective I suppose?
    :eek:o_O damm if it didn’t blow the windows out or give you a concussion, I’m shocked. Used to shoot at a range with metal roof, hell my Mosin had some power and noise. No brake on that one haha. Every shot sounded like a 5 lb stone being dropped on a steel plate they use to cover holes at construction sites before paving.

Chaz, Horkn and stihl sawing like this.
  16. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Definitely agree with this. There was an informative video talking about what shot to use for self-defense in a shotgun. #8 or any in the 4-8 shot vs buckshot (00), they did do a slight synopsis on rifled slug as well. The danger was concluded that overshot of buckshot being higher than birdshot. It would depend on how far the intruder would be away being effective of course and tests show how much expansion occurs to which shot and shotgun choke would have an effect as well. Wouldn’t surprise me if Turkey chokes on the end of some shotguns but anything more than 10-15 yards seems out of the question.

17. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

18. Horkn

Horkn

Yeah, just did some reading on them. Short barreled AR's really do well with these.

19. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

They work well on most long arms. They really help on pistols. The reduction in concussion is noticeable.

Chaz, Horkn, FatBoy85 and 1 other person like this.
  20. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Are those a universal threading?

Chaz and Horkn like this.