In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Buying ammo for trades

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by FatBoy85, Jun 13, 2020.

1. chris

chris

Deep pockets required for top of the line .22rf ammo even at case ( 5000 rnds) prices. That said, Eley black box and Lapua center-x are my primary choices. Neither are top of their respective lines. Then you get into various lot # and velocity some may work well in your unit others not so. Velocity is a questionable variable based on range & weather and atmospheric pressure. What works at 50yds might not be worth a hoot at 100yd or further out Kinda depends on what you are playing at / type of shoot and of course pocket depth.

Chaz, FatBoy85 and Beetle-Kill like this.
  2. dgeesaman

dgeesaman

Lapua Ohio I believe has a 50 and 100 tunnel, and I will request testing at 50 with Center-X and Midas+. Hopefully some Centerx will hook up. If we find a few lots that are close, I will ask to do “tie breaker” shooting at 100y because I do love to mess around with that sometimes. As a shooter, the only more honest test of execution than a .22 at 100y is a springer airgun.

FatBoy85 and Chaz like this.
  3. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Those two statements seem to contradict each other... if ANY ammo would have value in a SHTF scenario, It would make sense that one would not limit oneself to ammo for which one had a weapon. Unless of course you were to think that the SHTF scenario isn’t going to happen. And if that was the case, why stock up on ammo? I would think that stocking up on common calibers would provide one bargaining power

4. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

One thing is for sure that hunting rifles in other calibers like 6.5 Creedmoor, .270, .243, all of these are “lousy” and I don’t mean they are bad but none of them are selling out like handgun ammo and 10mm, .223/5.56 rifle ammo is. It’s not being found less than 50 cents a round...Actually around a dollar each being the norm. That being said these were being the most sought out calibers.

If it were feasible to get that other more expensive ammo, meaning if it ever became needed on an emergency level then that may be indicative things have gone Too far south.
    Since not all of us can afford that kind of ammo, no wonder it’s still on shelves. At this moment I’m watching a Tube video where practice ammo is explained. In no way do I want to make this super extensive.

The school of thought here is that cheap ammo is good to practice with but depending on how cheap, you cheapen the accuracy. Brass:Best. Steel:Ok to Poor.Other: depends on cartridge alloys and powder/bullet qualities. However tuning your gun to practice ammo and then you decide to use better quality ammo, you may likely improve accuracy but not the other way around. It would be the situation where practice ammo is the better traded and save your better ammo on defense.

Now it doesn’t seem like a great idea to stock up as prices of it are inflated big time, unless your local store has a ridiculous stockpile hidden from the public scroungers. By all means, some online snake oils doubled the prices on their bulk ammo overnight and it’s a b**** move to profit that much on ammo that was cheap to begin with. :eek::mad:Of course it’s out of stock too.
    Knowing what ammo is gone now, is probably a hint for the ammo needs for later.

Chaz and stuckinthemuck like this.
  5. blacktail

blacktail

Ammo is selling out as fast as retailers get it. I ordered a few hundred more rounds of 5.56 just because I saw some in stock for a decent price. The FedEx driver said she's delivering about 3x the ammo she normally does.

Chaz and FatBoy85 like this.
  6. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Is FedEx the only service that legally can deliver it...?

Chaz likes this.
  7. chris

chris

Any carrier can, question is will they. No hazmat on completed ammo. Course the hazmat thing is bogus anyway. ya I know more paper work, training?, insurance and on and on. I equate it to some of new rulings on what constitutes manufacturing concerning firearms and sporting goods in general.

8. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I suppose it’s like how firefighters may ask if you got ammo in the house if that thing happened? Precautions more than anything.

Chaz likes this.
  9. Chaz

Chaz

One of my coworkers is a volunteer fireman for our town.

I advised him of my ammo and reloading supplies, as well as their location in the house.

They responded to an electrical fire down the road, they were even at the station probably 5-700 yards away, he said with the water damage, complete loss.

Told him if my place goes up. Just make sure we're out, then enjoy the show.

:campfire: :MM:

:rofl: :lol:

TurboDiesel, blacktail, Eckie and 2 others like this.
  10. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I’d probably say the same thing. Noting if insurance was going to cover the greater majority of that. I just hear that insurances need to be checked in with that coverage is going to happen with ammo in the living space.

Chaz likes this.
  11. Horkn

Horkn

I went to fleet farm today for some shed building supplies and looked at what was available for ammo. Absolutely zero 9mm, some 22lr, no 223, only small boxes of 7.62x39, some 6.8spc, no .308, some 243, big dogs like my 7mm rem mag and 300 win mag no prob. A lot of 224 Valkyrie, even more 6.5 creedmore. Very very low on any shotgun buck shot. No .40 or .45 in handgun amko. Best option was 10mm auto. I bought a Ruger in 10mm when it first came out,. Ammo was tough to find back then because it feel out of favor to the 40 s&w. Now it's making a comeback since people are now finally seeing that the 10mm is a better round compared to the. .40 s&w. I sold that gun while I was in college.

Thinking about buying one again. That or a 45.

12. Chaz

Chaz

Insurance surely knows theres ammo here, they have photos and serial numbers of all my firearms.

Haven't updated since I got the crossbow or compound bow.. Perhaps a chat with my agent is overdue.

Thanks for the reminder

:yes:

FatBoy85 likes this.
  13. lukem

lukem

I don't think they contradict. All I'm saying having ammo to shoot should be plan A, trading it should be plan B. Sure you probably could trade away some 5.7x28, .45-70, .50AE in a doomsday scenario, but I wouldn't think of it as the best use of the ammo.

If I had any of those calibers I'd have ammo for them, enough to where, if I needed to, I could trade some to rebalance my portfolio of ammo or get some other goods.

dgeesaman, FatBoy85, Horkn and 2 others like this.
  14. Eckie

Eckie

Hahaha, I like that term....

15. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Portfolio seems small. Don’t ya want an arsenal?:rofl: :lol::handshake:

Chaz and Eckie like this.
  16. Eckie

Eckie

Well, I guess you could have a large portfolio!!

17. lukem

lukem

You can be a billionaire in things other than money.

18. Chaz

Chaz

The last man/woman standing gets to make the rules

:rootintootin:

TurboDiesel and FatBoy85 like this.
  19. dgeesaman

dgeesaman

Had a good time at Lapua on Friday. They actually collect 50m and 100m data simultaneously.

For anyone who’d like to see more about it, refer here: Lots of Answers: A Visit to the Lapua Rimfire Precision Center - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Chaz, FatBoy85 and Eckie like this.
  20. mywaynow

mywaynow

From all that I have heard the hardest to find have been 45s and 22s. 45 has become the pistol caliber of choice now, by law enforcement and therefore the private purchaser. Now is not the time to buy as an investment though. Remember, buy low sell high. That is what you need to do.