In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Buying a Used Car

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Dana B, Feb 18, 2015.

  1. Dana B

    Dana B

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2014
    Messages:
    607
    Likes Received:
    1,588
    Location:
    Southern New Hampshire
    We're in the market for a used car. We want to pay cash and keep it under 7k. Preferrably private sale.

    I've looked at Craigslist and auto trader and they are both full of dealers posting as owners for private sale.

    Has anyone had good luck with finding a decent private sale via the internet?
     
    My IS heats my home and Stinny like this.
  2. stuckinthemuck

    stuckinthemuck

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,247
    Likes Received:
    15,345
    Location:
    Wandering around in the NH woods.
    Stinny likes this.
  3. rottiman

    rottiman

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    14,437
    Likes Received:
    95,936
    Location:
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    No, usually word of mouth about some mom or pop who doesn't drive anymore, is your best bet. A lot of those "garage queen" bought new, seldom driven vehicles are around. Trick is to be able to track them down..............
     
  4. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Uncle Henry's over there in NH? As long as you take your time and really look things over, from an online find, I don't see how it's any different from any other way to find em. Sight unseen? That's another story.
     
  5. rottiman

    rottiman

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    14,437
    Likes Received:
    95,936
    Location:
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    Tony, Codfish and Duke will probably beat you to them..............LOL
     
  6. stuckinthemuck

    stuckinthemuck

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,247
    Likes Received:
    15,345
    Location:
    Wandering around in the NH woods.

    What are you looking for? USAA has a car buying service for used cars from preferred dealers.. I can at least get you a couple of leads as well as the price that they quote for USAA members.. Then you'd have a number to work with....
     
    My IS heats my home likes this.
  7. Jack Straw

    Jack Straw

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    8,402
    Likes Received:
    52,443
    Location:
    30 miles west of Albany Ny
  8. Dana B

    Dana B

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2014
    Messages:
    607
    Likes Received:
    1,588
    Location:
    Southern New Hampshire
    F

    Funny that you should mention USAA. My wife is former military and we are both members. We have a credit card with them but don't do our banking with them.

    What we are looking for is very specific actually.

    2004-2009 Subaru Forester w between 70K-120K on it in good condition with no rust or body issues. Trim package color etc doesn't matter as long as it's in good condition. I think we should be able to find one for under 7K if we look around enough. If you could tell me a little more how the USAA program works I'd appreciate it.
     
  9. Dana B

    Dana B

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2014
    Messages:
    607
    Likes Received:
    1,588
    Location:
    Southern New Hampshire

    I've heard of them before but never used it. I'll have to look into it. thanks
     
  10. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,717
    Likes Received:
    224,376
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    Have your intended purchase checked out by your mechanic (the one you trust and do business with) for a more reliable opinion. Used vehicles really needs to be put in the air on the rack and inspected. Unless you know the seller personally, it is worth the extra few bucks involved.
     
    wildwest likes this.
  11. Dana B

    Dana B

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2014
    Messages:
    607
    Likes Received:
    1,588
    Location:
    Southern New Hampshire

    There;s a guy in town that would look at it for me as longer as the seller would agree to drive it down to my town.
     
    papadave and yooperdave like this.
  12. stuckinthemuck

    stuckinthemuck

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,247
    Likes Received:
    15,345
    Location:
    Wandering around in the NH woods.
    If you log onto the USAA website (which you should be able to do for credit card payments) just go to "Our Products" and select the item in the lower right hand corner, "Car Buying Service"...

    Screen Shot 2015-02-18 at 2.53.02 PM.png

    I plugged in your criteria.. mileage, years and price and came up with a grand total of 6 cars that met the criteria nationwide.. If you're willing to travel, you could find one in a place that you don't have to worry about salt use so the undercarriage should be better..
     
    raybonz and My IS heats my home like this.
  13. stuckinthemuck

    stuckinthemuck

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,247
    Likes Received:
    15,345
    Location:
    Wandering around in the NH woods.
    Something like this might work though.. 2003 with 105k miles on it in Virginia..
     

    Attached Files:

    My IS heats my home likes this.
  14. Dana B

    Dana B

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2014
    Messages:
    607
    Likes Received:
    1,588
    Location:
    Southern New Hampshire
    Cool. Thanks Stuck.
     
    stuckinthemuck likes this.
  15. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    Anytime my wife and I are in NH, you see subarus everywhere.
    Why are they so popular there?
     
    raybonz and Stinny like this.
  16. Dana B

    Dana B

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2014
    Messages:
    607
    Likes Received:
    1,588
    Location:
    Southern New Hampshire

    Well most of NH is more rural than most of eastern MA and the number one selling point for Subaru is the all wheel drive. My current car is a 2003 Outback with 220K on it and still going strong. It has a lot of rust of both rear wheel welds but it keeps passing inspection. It's my first Subaru but I've come to appreciate the brand, minus the rust issues. I'm hoping to get at least another year or two out of it. The car I'm looking to buy is going to be stored on my property and rolled out when I need it. I like to plan ahead and not pay interest on anything unless I absolutely have to. Trust me.......if you gave me a penny, I could squeeze it hard enough to make old Abe recite the Gettysburg Address, in French!
     
    raybonz, wildwest, Stinny and 3 others like this.
  17. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    They're very popular in Maine too. We're on our 5th Sube since 1978. Wife has a Legacy wagon. Good in most winter weather with studded winter tires.
     
    wildwest and My IS heats my home like this.
  18. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    Studded tires are still allowed up there? When I was a kid
    I remember when my dad had the winter tires installed on the cars
    in November and they were studded. I don't think Mass allows them anymore
     
    Stinny likes this.
  19. Dana B

    Dana B

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2014
    Messages:
    607
    Likes Received:
    1,588
    Location:
    Southern New Hampshire

    I've NEVER gotten stuck in a New Hampshire winter with my Subaru.

    Even when there's like three to four fout of snow packed in at the end of my driveway from the plow going by I can still get out if I haven't snowblowed yet.

    I just have too get a running start, make sure no one's coming down the road and let the inertia of the vehicle blast right through it.

    As much as I like my wife's RAV 4 during the Sprin,g Summer and Fall, there's no way I'm making it out of the driveway under those conditions with it. In the right hands, with the right tires, a Subaru is like an M1 Abrams, minus the armament. I just wish the rust wasn't so prevelant as I've seen other Subarus with body rust issues. not so much with Toyota and Honda.
     
    Stinny likes this.
  20. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    I have a 6' Fisher plow on our Wrangler. From all the years running the Subes, and now having used this plastic light weight plow on the Jeep... it would work nicely on the front of a Subaru wagon... no sweat.