In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Buy pellets now?

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by Well Seasoned, Mar 10, 2022.

1. bogieb

bogieb

Although that is a technically true statement, I could also say free pick up (versus delivery) ain't "free" - but it's usually a heck of a lot cheaper than the $80 delivery charge that I would get hit with. Are there times that paying the delivery charge makes sense? Absolutely, like if I can spread that cost amongst a load of 6 tons of pellets that have been priced way below market. At other times, it makes no sense at all and that "free" pick up is more attractive.

Very few things in this world are "free", you just pick and chose what "costs" (time, labor, tools and other resources) you can/are willing to bear. Some people can't pay physical labor costs, some people can - and some will view such as a way to get exercise, or even socialize. Some people, their time time is in short supply, others have time to spare. We are all project managers in that sense - we just don't think of it like that.

theburtman, corncob, slvrblkk and 2 others like this.
  2. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

corncob and bogieb like this.
  3. corncob

corncob

Me, I'm a Rock Auto junkie. Just got the complete brake package for my wife's Transit Connect including new coated rotors, loaded brake calipers, rear drums, shoes and adjusters as well as new wheel cylinders and brake hoses as well as new ABS sensors and front hard lines. Just did the front's and send back the caliper cores and used their pre paid mailing label for Fed-Ex. Must have a heck of a deal with Fed-Ex because 2 calipers boxed up was 20 pounds and the ship cost from here to New York was a whopping $8.89. The cores have a deposit of 50 bucks each on them. Everything was in stock and I had everything within a week from ordering.

I had to take about half of the under hood components out to access the drivers side hardline. Air box, motor mount, battery, brain box had to be removed to access the hardline. Ford's better idea I guess. Kind of dismayed they used steel brake lines instead of Ni-Cop lines. I almost ran alloy lines instead. I own the Ridge tool double flaring tool and have a roll of alloy brake line in the shop.

I swear by Rock Auto and if they don't have what I require, my second go to is 1A Auto.

Orson_Yancey likes this.
  4. corncob

corncob

I hate to say it but I believe it's going to go even higher. I had to rob the piggy bank just to fill my 500 gallon bulk tank with off road diesel, something I've never had to do before. 500 gallons delivered at $4.50 a gallon is quite a bite for me and it's COD too. Least I can recoup the cost by increasing the price of my hay (which everyone is doing anyway and my biggest customer (who buys 95% of ) understands. It's the old Regan 'trickle down effect'. Only lately the trickle has turned into a river. I've increased my per bale cost from 25 to 35 bucks a round on first cut and 40 on second. I have no choice as I either increase the cost or go out of business.

The spot market price for mixed hay (alfalfa grass rounds) is running at 60+ per presently and that is the pickup at the barn price. No delivery. Delivery charges are running at 2 bucks a mile.

Crazy times and it's hard to stay abreast of the rising costs.

One of my good friend's manages a fleet of 54 road tractors pulling Fed-Ex short doubles all over the United States running team drivers and they fill them (when on the road), every day and each tractor holds 300 gallons so at the pump price, that is well on the excess of 1500 bucks a day times 54 trucks. You do the math... At least Fed-Ex offsets the fuel cost with a reimbursement program but the initial costs come right from their (owners) bank account. Sure glad I'm not on the hook for that bill.

It's all avoidable in reality but when you have a chipmunk running the country, anything and everything can happen and it is.

The issue is again, the trickle down effect and all that extra cost gets 'trickled down' to you as a consumer. Why everything is so expensive today and getting worse.

Me, I'm small potatoes with my operation and I want to stay that way. I like being a one man operation. if I screw up, I have no one to blame except myself and I've pulled some shots in the past and learned from my mistakes but in the current economy, even a small mistake can put you out of business real quick.

5. corncob

corncob

I'm set on pellets (5 ton in the barn) and I still have to go fetch a couple ton of off grade seed corn so next winter won't be a cold one for us (thankfully). Having said that I bet there will be a whole lot of people in this country that will have to make some hard choices. Do you put gas in your buggy or food in your mouth or food in your mouth and no heat? Some very hard choices will be made next winter by a lot of less fortunate folks of which we aren't thankfully.

Just put a new roof on the house and the shop to the tune of 17 grand and paid the bill promptly. The roofer was amazed I paid it right away. he told me most people wait at least 30 days, sometimes longer. I had planned on doing it and had the funds available. Will be my last roof. I won't live long enough to do another though 2 of my 3 rentals are needing new roofs as well. That will wait until next year so I can squirrel away the funds.

SKEETER McCLUSKEY and bogieb like this.
  6. Orson_Yancey

Orson_Yancey

I expect the end of the Summer and Fall will be a busy season for pellet sales. Yes, it is going to be hard, for people
    who will have to make some hard choices.

bogieb likes this.
  7. Iron Stove

Iron Stove

Yeah, I have a few tons on deposit. I gree, there is going to be a lot of hurt, since energy touches everything in our lives. I fear for the people making the choice of eat or heat, etc. That reality will be here by fall. And our Govt leaders are inept, or have a agenda and want to see people become govt dependant for their lives. Time will tell very shortly.

Orson_Yancey, bogieb and theburtman like this.
  8. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

I disagree, I own rental units in some lower income areas, the poor on assistance, will continue to get free food at food shelves, they do not pay for fuel as lye heat will help them and churches pay the electric bill. That’s for apartment dwellers, ones in govt buildings heat and lights are included.

I’m real concerned about the single parent raising kids, have a job, they got a raise but won’t cover the Inflation group.
    Too proud to ask for help, throw in a woodstove/pellet stove on a budget don’t do it right and catch house on fire, You start putting off healthcare for them not their kids, eat junk food put on weight, survival mode

Skier76, theburtman and bogieb like this.
  9. Iron Stove

Iron Stove

Actually, I was referring to those in the second paragraph. The working poor, elderly , retirees living on SS. Above poverty line, but barely scraping by, and don't qualify for assistance.

10. Smokinpiney

Smokinpiney

Picked up 53 bags of green teams today for a little over $3/bag. I'm always on the lookout for decent pellets at a good price these days and found a woman who was moving and selling what she had leftover from this season. Luckily they were only about 30mins away. My boy was excited to climb the mountain!

20220526_194227.jpg

11. bogieb

bogieb

Gotta love thos CL/FBM deals - I peruse them on a regular basis.

jtakeman, Smokinpiney and slvrblkk like this.
  12. Smokinpiney

Smokinpiney

Yep! I usually check both on my lunch break. I just happened to catch this deal about an hr after she posted it.

bogieb likes this.