In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Butchery

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by BCB, Jun 20, 2020.

1. BCB

BCB

I'm starting to get more into home butchering. I have 14 broiler chickens on the lawn now that'll be ready in a little over a month. I'm planning on picking up a whole hog soon and having the farm harvest and clean it and saw it down the middle. I'll take both halves home and will break it down myself.

I butcher my own deer during hunting season and I've been slowly putting together a collection of items that I'd like to use at a dedicated butchering spot at my house. I plan on picking up a double door reach in cooler and will use that as a small meat locker for the garage. I hunt Sept-Dec so having something bigger that I can hang a whole deer in instead of the extra refrigerator would be nice.

Anyone else break down their own meat commercially or for their own consumption?

Here's a whitetail that I harvested during last year's archery season. I'm starting to get that itch to hunt already lol.

72396034_10218453576864479_4745782740018790400_n.jpg

2. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

I butcher my own deer, but I'm certainly not professional. I don't bother hanging, just butcher it same day, put in vacuum seal bags and into the freezer.

3. Chaz

Chaz

We raised and harvested turkeys a few years back, but not since.

If I get a deer, I process it as well.

I follow my Dad's teachings

"It may not be the prettiest cut, but it will taste good."

:thumbs:

4. M2theB

M2theB

I learned a lot from a friend and enjoyed applying the techniques. And it made a big difference as I got more experience. I haven’t hunted in three years as work has been eating into the hunting hours.
    It’s nice knowing how to do it.
    And yours looks great!

5. BCB

BCB

I like letting mine age about 3-5 days before freezing it but I've done both depending on how much time I have.

6. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Very nice deer, looks like zero fat on that one or did you trim off the tallow? I’d like to follow this one. Looks informative.

7. BCB

BCB

The fat content generally depends on the sex of the deer and what time of year it's harvested. The deer in my picture was a yearling doe taken mid Oct. so not much fat on her but very tasty and tender meat. I harvested another doe in mid Dec and she had a ton of fat on her. You want to remove as much deer fat as you can. Its waxy and doesnt taste good like pork or beef fat.

Bucks pack on the pounds leading up to the rut then they burn a good amount of fat during the rut chasing tail. The does pack on the pounds all fall to make it though winter.

8. Smokinpiney

Smokinpiney

I've been butchering my own deer for almost 20 years. I've definitely learned alot over those years and I've also gotten better equipped over the years as well. I back up to the rear door of my shop (tailgate level) and bring them inside where I have an electric hoist mounted to the rafters. If the weather permits I'll hang them anywhere from 3-7 days. Otherwise I have an upright commercial fridge that I'll quarter them up and put them in until I'm ready to debone the meat. Then I do the final trimming and vac sealing in the kitchen.

This year I'm trying to get one of the old reefer boxes dad has, setup next to the shop so I can use it as a walk in. It'd be great to be able to hang them regardless of the temperature.

9. jrider

jrider

My dad was self taught when it comes to butchering but he passed on his information to me. I’m 43 and only know raising and butchering our own meat. We do cows, pigs, chickens, and used to do turkeys. I’m also a hunter and butcher my own deer as well. Here is a picture of some beef aging in our cinderblock garage- which maintains a pretty level temperature.
    As far as wrapping, my family doesn’t like vacuum sealed. It takes too long, packages slide all over the place in the freezer plus it doesn’t keep the meat as good as freezer grade plastic wrap and paper.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  10. BCB

BCB

made some venison brats and hot dogs on Sunday. Smoked them in my new green mountain Davy Crockett. The kids love them.

F7FBA6DB-E07F-48C5-97C5-B1F7291D13A6.jpeg AB453E55-0022-450D-84EA-19431EE8BE89.jpeg 08B87717-F4D4-49E7-B15C-6F3725331AAA.jpeg AC4F2266-3E75-4F26-BB6A-A691D5566347.jpeg

11. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

hey your reefer box idea sounds like a primo idea. This would allow you to do all kinds of animals no problems. If that ends up becoming a business angle for you...may provide some options for you and anyone who might wanna carve up meat for their and families freezers.

12. Highbeam

Highbeam

I've butchered a few deer and even a whole mess of 25 chickens one year. Ever since the pink slime debacle we grind all of our own meat from big commercial 30 lb beef packs.

For deer, take out the backstraps and tenderloins. Then debone the whole thing, get some pork fat for 10-15%, and throw her all through the grinder.

I'm on my third grinder and this 400$ one is the best. Hope to keep it forever.

#12 Big Bite Meat Grinder - 0.75 HP | LEM Products

T.Jeff Veal, bear 1998, Chaz and 3 others like this.
  13. BCB

BCB

I just picked up a LEM Big Bite #8 - .5 HP on sale about 2 weeks ago. Worked great when making my hot dogs and brats last weekend.

T.Jeff Veal, bear 1998, Chaz and 3 others like this.
  14. jrider

jrider

Debone the hams, partially freeze them and run them through a deli slicer. Best cheesesteaks ever!

T.Jeff Veal, Chaz and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  15. bear 1998

bear 1998

Yes...it wont be long n another season starts. Boy....a cooler to hang a deer or two at a time would be nice!
    I usually don t get too excited at the beginning of archery season (usually too warm or hot).
    Gonna try some new recipes this year for venison...usually keep the backstraps...make cheese bologna...chipped deer,burger,etc
    Maybe get a bear this year...i have a few runnin around. I have gotten 2 PA bears n i must say.....i really enjoy bear meat when prepared properly ( gotta watch for trichinosis)

16. BCB

BCB

6CC48083-9439-4251-B5F6-4A36715289A7.jpeg Picked up a commercial reach in. Going to use it as a small meat locker. Still need to move stuff around in the garage but it’s where I want it.

17. bear 1998

bear 1998

Not to be nosey (ok..im gonna be nosey)..where did you find that n what did ya give for it....
    Would like to find one like that if it wouldnt cost an arm n a leg...thats nice

18. BCB

BCB

My neighbor owns 3 restaurants and was replacing this unit so he gave it to me for free. It's a freezer but he says it holds between 35-40 so it'll work as a refrigerator for me lol.

I was looking on an auction site and texted him to see which brands were better than others and he mentioned he had one that was being replaced and that I could have it if I wanted it.

Here's the auction website I was checking out PCI Auctions

19. bear 1998

bear 1998

Thanx....ill check it out.

20. Chaz

Chaz

Awesome score
    :dancer:

Talk about being in the right place at the right time.