Thanks WW I think I figured out why. We forgot to turn off the soaker hose for almost a whole day and I think the swelled and burst from the shock of water.
That is almost always the problem. Used to happen to us if it rained a lot. Take 'em in and make sauce or somethin'.
Cure for that problem lays between 2 slices of toasted sourdough bread covered with mayo, fresh thick-sliced bacon and lettuce.
Pete, this year as you well remember started with super dry weather and we didn't get much rain at all in June and July. Then starting on July 30, the Lord answered our prayers and sent rain. Now we are hoping He will answer again and turn the rain off or at least down a notch or two. Since July 30, we have received 7 3/4" of rain and that is a lot for less than a month in this area. No doubt, the tomatoes could not stand the shock and yes, perhaps you watered them too much.
Yep... Its called feast to famine in the watering cycle... They just cant adapt that quickly to the change...
moisture varied too much. Best way to grow tomatoes is under cover and water with a soak house. Not practical for a lot of us, so we take what we get. My thought is to water them every day it does rain, always water the bottom and avoid splash. (prevents a lot of disease). I have some in the greenhouse and they don't show any issues. Tomatoes are among some of the most fussy plants of all of them. Subject to some of the widest ranges of diseases, influence by about any weather change, and host to a number of insects. One of the reasons to grow more than you'll need. I've grown some of those ones that have hybrid resistance to this and that. Nearly tasteless. I prefer the old classic standbys. May look ugly, but the taste is just like nothing you get a the supermarket. I also know I have to move tomatoes around the garden. Planting them in the same place just increases the risk of problems. One thing you can do. When the green tomato starts changing from green to red, pick it then. Set it in a dark place. It will ripen into a delicious tomato and won't crack or have bug holes in it.