In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Burls

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by Woodslave, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Woodslave

Woodslave

KIMG0409.jpg KIMG0409.jpg KIMG0478.jpg KIMG0409.jpg I seam to have a lot of Black Cherry burls on my property. I have sold a few, but just wondering what the market is in other parts of the country. I'm currently cutting in an area that has a bunch, I'll end seal them and set them aside. I did sell some logs to a guy from Vt. That made beautiful bowls. He really liked the crotch wood for the wild grain patterns.

2. NYCountry

NYCountry

I had a cherry tree fall on my property few years back and some gave me 3 cords of split dried wood for it, he said he was gonna make some coffee tables out it ,

HolsatiaRedneck, M2theB and Woodslave like this.
  3. Woodslave

Woodslave

First, sorry for the repeat pictures, I'll catch on. I'm better with my tractor and chainsaws than damm computers. I have lots of Black Cherry tree's, but not a stick of oak on my property. I will burn tops from the cherry, it heats pretty good.

KsKent, HolsatiaRedneck and Midwinter like this.
  4. Woodslave

Woodslave

Black Cherry does make beautiful lumber, especially when you get into some crotch wood. The flames and swirls is really nice looking stuff.

5. yooperdave

yooperdave

Wish I was more knowledgeable about turning bowls and would be able to offer advice. Still learning.

6. Woodslave

Woodslave

KIMG0138.jpg Picked up a nice Black Cherry burl today, have a couple more to get. I'll need to get some help to load the others.

7. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Nice! Burls are very desirable. You may have more value there than you realize. Maybe list on craigs to see if there are any turners or wood workers close.

Woodslave likes this.
  8. Woodslave

Woodslave

I have sold a few burls and some nice Black Cherry logs to a guy that turns bowls. Cherry crotch wood makes some great looking slabs for bar tops or counter tops, tables and bench. I have a few more burls down on my woodlot that the logger cut and left for me, just too big to pick up by myself. I know of a guy downstate that pays .50 a pound.

The Wood Wolverine likes this.
  9. Woodslave

Woodslave

Just got off the phone with an older gentleman interested in some burls. Said what he usually does is when he gets a burl he offers pick of the bowls he turns to the seller or buys outright. I think I would rather get a bowl out of one of my tree's than sell outright. The other good thing is he's willing to teach me how to turn my own bowls. Funny how a simple phone call for an hour or so could turn into something very interesting to say the least.

10. Woodslave

Woodslave

Another large Cherry burl that was cut down at my woodlot. There is still a few more in that pile that I'll need help loading. KIMG0165.jpg

11. HolsatiaRedneck

HolsatiaRedneck

Sounds good to me, i think we all like to see the end product. keep us updated.
    I also seen alot of woodhandles for knives made with all kind of burl, so if you know a knife maker... :thumbs:

Woodslave and The Wood Wolverine like this.
  12. billb3

billb3

So if I have a couple of those in cherry trees here, when I cut that tree down for firewood (very little straight wood) I should leave a couple feet on each side of the burl and put aside rather than throw it out ?

Woodslave likes this.
  13. Woodslave

Woodslave

Billb3 Yes, or you could cut it closer and end seal it. If you sell them you try to cut as close to the burls as possible if you are selling by weight