In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Bundle season 2022

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by Woodchucker, Apr 5, 2022.

1. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

They're similar. I cut my firewood at 16". Bundle size is about 12"x10". I use 14"+/- cutoffs as another option for mini bundles. I market those to people who burn in chimeneas, smokers, small fireplace inserts, etc. I prefer to sell everything rather than throw it in the burn pit. :thumbs:

buZZsaw BRAD likes this.
  2. Woodchucker

Woodchucker

Delivered wood for about 3 hours on Saturday. Drove all over western Iowa which was kind of nice. I dropped off 15 bundles in my hometown, 10 bundles 10 bags right off interstate 80, 10 bundles 8 bags in council bluffs(miscounted when loading the truck:headbang:), and 15 bundles in a town by the Loess Hills. Im already wishing I charged more for the bags. They're a lot more work and I have a feeling they are going to sell fast. I have two other stores that I will be delivering to beginning of May, then I need to talk to my local grocery store and get some delivered there.

3. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Good deal! :makeitrain" Yeah go up for the bags and let prior customers know beforehand. Your hard work is worth it.
    Ive been seriously considering selling (retail on CL/FBM) nugget bags of cedar...one cubic foot bags. Probably for next burning season. Got into a score that has a lot of it on the ground. I make some into regular bundles/boxes of kindling. Cedar nuggets i keep for the firepit mostly.
    Any pics of your bucket trick to fill bag?

Sandhillbilly and Woodchucker like this.
  4. Woodchucker

Woodchucker

I basically just found a 5 gallon bucket with the bottom cut off and put it in the bag, then fill it till the bucket is in the way, take the bucket out and fill the rest of the way. I saw a video of, I think Back 40 Firewood, using a 7 gallon trash can to do his. That would probably work a little better.

buZZsaw BRAD likes this.
  5. Woodchucker

Woodchucker

Made another 60 bundles and another 10 bags since my first delivery. All the bundles I've made have been ash that I've had to resplit to bring it down in size. Ill resplit them and stack them into a tote, then move them inside with the skidloader and bundle from there. Delivered 20 bundles to my local grocery store. I have an additional 2 gas stations I'm planning on delivering to this weekend. I've had multiple inquiries for a 1/2 cord or 1/3 cord for campfire wood in the last two weeks. Gonna have to test burn some wood tonight.

Sandhillbilly and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  6. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Thats great! :makeitrain" One of my complaints is keeping year round dry wood for bundles and having three houses where it is stored. :picard: Storage is a major problem. One of my regular stations texted today and needs a refill. Up to 45 bundles. Ill deliver next few days as i have to assemble them. It should empty a stack the holds 1.75 cords that ive been slowly refilling.

Do you have a moisture meter to check MC on splits?

7. Woodchucker

Woodchucker

Yea I'm almost full in my woodyard as well. I have a moisture meter and I use it occasionally. For campfire wood, I don't think you need to have it as dry as you would for a modern EPA stove, since its outside and the burning conditions are so different. But, there is definitely a noticeable difference in 25% moisture content wood and 20%. I really need to get some wood that will season fast, like cottonwood, pine or willow. They throw a nice flame so they're good to mix in with ash and other dense hardwoods. I have oodles of silver maple that are close but we haven't had a lot of hot days yet to get it dried out.

8. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

If i recall you are out in the open getting lots of sun and wind. I imagine that silver dries pretty quick for you? Mostly a yard tree around here and a scarce scrounge for me. Usually will have a twisty grain too and i like nice straight splits for my bundles.

WinonaRail likes this.