In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Buddy helping with stacking

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by tfdchief, Mar 8, 2014.

  1. tfdchief

    tfdchief

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
    Messages:
    1,233
    Likes Received:
    7,637
    Location:
    Tuscola, IL
    My new dog Buddy, came to us in December, 5 months old, is experiencing his first burning/cutting/stacking season. He loves to help me. We go to the wood shed every night and he follows me every trip. This weekend, my son was helping me split and stack. Buddy likes to help.
    Buddy stacking wood.JPG
     
  2. Loon

    Loon

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    6,560
    Likes Received:
    37,138
    Location:
    North of the border
    Cool picture chief ;) Looks like ya got a great helper for life :)
     
    HoneyFuzz and tfdchief like this.
  3. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Rin Tin Tin ......almost.:thumbs:
     
    HoneyFuzz and tfdchief like this.
  4. tfdchief

    tfdchief

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
    Messages:
    1,233
    Likes Received:
    7,637
    Location:
    Tuscola, IL
    I hope so loon, He is turning out to be a good one for sure. At my age, he might be my last.
     
  5. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Nice pic Chief, I think the Sav would approve of his stacking job.
     
    HoneyFuzz, Loon and tfdchief like this.
  6. Locust Post

    Locust Post

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    8,951
    Likes Received:
    52,505
    Location:
    N. E. OH
    What breed Chief.....here's my soon to be new helper since we lost our beloved Rudy last summer
     

    Attached Files:

    HDRock, HoneyFuzz, Got Wood? and 4 others like this.
  7. tfdchief

    tfdchief

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
    Messages:
    1,233
    Likes Received:
    7,637
    Location:
    Tuscola, IL
    I hope so, 'cause Buddy is going to meet Dennis one of these days, so he just as well be prepared. :)
     
    HoneyFuzz and thewoodlands like this.
  8. tfdchief

    tfdchief

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
    Messages:
    1,233
    Likes Received:
    7,637
    Location:
    Tuscola, IL
    Oh, what a cuttie! Sounds like your situation is so similar to ours. Lost my beloved Oggie in November. In December we found Buddy at the Romeoville Humane Society, 3 hours from us. They tell me he is one of the "designer breeds" He is a mix between a Beagle and a Shih Tzu and called a Bea-Tzu. They vary a lot in the way they look. I really don't care about breeds much, just the dog, and this guy is just everything I like in a dog. He is now 9 months old and still full of puppy mischief, but that is OK, I don't like wimpy dogs, wimpy Buddy is not! He is independent and confident, but yet he can be so loving and loyal. He has won my heart and saved my life since my Oggie died. She was my best friend.:( LP, what is your new little guy's breed. The short ears looks like he might have some Jack Russel in him. My Oggie was a Jack Russel.
     
  9. tfdchief

    tfdchief

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
    Messages:
    1,233
    Likes Received:
    7,637
    Location:
    Tuscola, IL
    Oh, I have to add. I sometimes call him "my scruffy ole dog" His coat is scruffy and I just love it. My wife wants to take him to a groomer. I am fighting that one. I say he is a dog, and it is winter....he needs his scruffy ole coat of hair. It serves him well too, because he loves the cold and snow. He would stay out all day! He rolls in the snow like a little kid, never gets cold. My wife put a dog sweater on him the day we got home and it took him all of 30 seconds to rip it off and comence chewing on it. I said, honey, I don't think he needs or likes sweaters! :D She wasn't impressed. :mad:
     
  10. Locust Post

    Locust Post

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    8,951
    Likes Received:
    52,505
    Location:
    N. E. OH
    Buddy's a good looking dog Chief and I know what you mean about no whimpy. I like one that you rough house with but they can also be gentle with a young kid. Our new addition is another Australian Shepard like Rudy.
     

    Attached Files:

  11. Fanatical1

    Fanatical1

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2014
    Messages:
    2,688
    Likes Received:
    12,293
    Location:
    Ohio
    Wow! Really like your dog, and those firewood stacks are almost flawless. Nice job on both.


    Congrats on finding your new best friend. I can relate....:)
     
    HoneyFuzz and tfdchief like this.
  12. tfdchief

    tfdchief

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
    Messages:
    1,233
    Likes Received:
    7,637
    Location:
    Tuscola, IL
    LP, beautiful dogs, both! As my life has progressed over the years, I have grown to love animals more and more. I can't live without them. They are so unconditional. I hunted for over 35 years and don't begrudge anyone that pleasure. But between the pain and suffering I have witnessed after 35 years in the fire service and as many years of having best friends and losing them, I just can't kill an animal anymore. I see them happy and playful, full of life, like my best friend at home, and I just can't bring myself to end their life for no really good reason. Animals can teach us so much and certainly have me. The animals I have called best friends and encountered during my life, have changed my life more than probably anything else I have experienced.
     
    HDRock, HoneyFuzz, Loon and 2 others like this.
  13. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Buddy looks mighty proud up on that stack.
     
    HoneyFuzz and tfdchief like this.
  14. HoneyFuzz

    HoneyFuzz

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2014
    Messages:
    4,490
    Likes Received:
    14,862
    Location:
    Northeast , Ohio
    Cool pic..and cool pup !! Reminds me of a coon hound treeing/bird dog pointing :)
     
    tfdchief likes this.
  15. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    "At my age, he might be my last." Funny… that sounds a lot like my aunt. She been saying stuff like that for as long as I can remember. She's 96.

    Buddy looks like a lot of fun.
     
    tfdchief likes this.
  16. tfdchief

    tfdchief

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
    Messages:
    1,233
    Likes Received:
    7,637
    Location:
    Tuscola, IL
    Buddy is a lot of fun! for sure. He helps keep me young. He doesn't care whether I am tired, sore, or just plain worn out. He is like, Dad, lets play man :p I love him.
     
  17. tfdchief

    tfdchief

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
    Messages:
    1,233
    Likes Received:
    7,637
    Location:
    Tuscola, IL
    HF. It did me too. I used to have bird dogs, and this little guy reminds me of them. Lots of spunk, stamina, and "go all day" His back yard is his kingdom and the squirrels, rabbits, and opossums have to dodge him if they want to visit my watering hole or gather acorns. He is King. He can smell anything a mile away.
     
    HoneyFuzz likes this.
  18. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Gizzy does the same for us. Has us laughing all day. We're crazy about her.
     
    tfdchief likes this.
  19. tfdchief

    tfdchief

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
    Messages:
    1,233
    Likes Received:
    7,637
    Location:
    Tuscola, IL
    Stinny, I am glad for you. Dogs are as important in our lives as any humans. I will live a lot longer and happier because of the dogs that have stolen my heart. This latest guy is no different. He is such a good companion. We split and stacked wood again today and he helped me stack the uglies since they are just his size. :axe::tree::thumbs:
     
  20. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Sounds like a good time. And you're so right, dogs just know how to say the right thing. Giz likes to tear around clamping 6'-8' sticks in her mouth. And, she always has to show them to Dad. I'll be working and I'll feel a stick hitting me in the back of a leg. Won't stop until I tell her, "wow, that's a good stick!" She'll be trying to break it's neck… what a terror… I call her an evil snow badger… :)
     
    HDRock and tfdchief like this.