In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Buckingham tree gaffs

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by Not_chip, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Not_chip

Not_chip

Hey guys, I was looking on craigslist and found a pair of gaffs, ( Buckingham SB9403) for $118, figured they were worth looking into, so I asked about them, I dont know how many of you guys (and gals) climb, but anyone got any idea how good of a deal they are? they are in pretty good condition, may need sharpened but nothing to bad, new they are around $260-270 so for $118 I think its a great deal, no idea what the used price should be tho.

J. Dirt and Screwloose like this.
  2. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

Buckingham SB9403 looks like Pole Spikes, not tree spikes. The tree spikes have a much bigger/longer spike on them to get through the bark and into the wood. Pole spikes are fine for a smooth, dry utility pole with no bark but can be dangerous for tree climbing.
    If I'm wrong about the model #, not a terrible price. Just check and make sure the straps & leather pads are in good condition and that the straps aren't trimmed to a length too short to wrap around you're calf. You can get replacements but that will cost a bit more too.

3. Not_chip

Not_chip

the spikes are replacable, and I have lots of thin/smooth bark trees, worst case, I pretty em up and make some money off them

4. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

Then you have nothing to loose. I never climbed trees but I did climb poles in the military back in the day. We called them gafs.

5. Not_chip

Not_chip

just got home from buying them, so far im happy, googled it and most people are saying the short pole spikes are better anyways, unless im on a tree with super heavy bark

6. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

So long as you stick to smooth bark trees like Beech, Maples some Birch, the Hickory's with tighter bark etc. you should be fine. I would not use them on Mature Black Birch, Shagbark or most Oaks though. Have to be careful working dead trees too, if the inner bark is rotting, the outer bark is loose and the spikes aren't long enough to go through into the wood, you may have a grip that gives out as you shift your weight.
    I did have a pair of the Pole Spikes years ago that I mostly used for utility poles way back when but started climbing trees and was fine, right up till it wasn't. Deep furrowed Chestnut Oak if I remember correctly. Fortunately I had the belt adjusted correctly and didn't slide down the whole tree. You do have a harness and belt, yes? I sold them and got a set of the tree spikes ( I call them gafs too) and have been much happier. Just use common sense and little caution, you'll be fine.

7. Not_chip

Not_chip

I do have a harness, had a close call yesterday in a tree lol (Not to bad but enough to make you think what your doing)

8. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

:D Taking the fast way down sucks. I speak from experience...
    Maybe that should be my new signature field entry: If mistakes are what gives you experience, I'm what you call an expert.
    There are some very good youtube videos out there about how to properly rig your equipment. I'd say a few hours of watching beats a pair of broken legs any day.
    One more fair warning. You're going to use muscles that hardly ever get used in that way. Don't over do it right away unless you have a few days after where the ability to walk isn't important.

9. Not_chip

Not_chip

was pruning one of our magnolia trees, was using a hand saw, so double tied in, I stepped on a branch just a tad small and it got fun for a second, only fell about 14 inches, but it darn sure woke me up,

J. Dirt, RabbleRouser and Screwloose like this.
  10. Not_chip

Not_chip

also, I might have to steal your signature entry idea, it is too correct for me lol

11. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

It pretty much Totally depends on lots of factors as to pole spurs or tree spurs.
    With pole spurs you will ( spur out MUCH MORE OFTEN) when climbing and working in trees !
    Lots of things that make tree spurs to be desired over pole spurs for climbing trees !
    A spur's job is to allow you to walk up and down and around a tree . And stand so you can work.
    The work needs to be done Where it needs to be done.
    Burls, limb bases, forks, crotches, crooks. All make pole spurs a challenge and sometimes dangerous to work with.
    If your trees are straight and you cut the limbs flush with the bole of the tree. And your careful not to toe or heel out. Pole spurs can be used.
    But you are going to have the occasional face plant on the tree from spuring out.

12. Creekin

Creekin

I've never climbed a tree with spurs, is it hard on the ankles or knees?
    Id like to give it a try one day

13. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

Hasn't ever bothered my knees or ankles, your weight is on the arch of your foot, almost like you're on the ground, but turns the muscles on the outside of the calf to stone and makes em burn like mad. My experience anyway. They definitely take some getting used to.

J. Dirt likes this.
  14. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

It all depends. The bigger the tree, the more work it is .
    Climbing a big conifer or other large trees 4' or greater diameter . Is about the physically hardest job known to mankind.
    Big trees are hard on Every part of the body . with good boots on , its not too bad on your feet and ankles. But is a real task for your knees and hips.
    Its best to practice low and slow on trees in the 12 to 16" diameter category.
    I really enjoy climbing and working up in trees.
    But I've injured my knees too many times in different jobs.

J. Dirt and Mag Craft like this.
  15. Creekin

Creekin

My knees are a bit iffy, maybe I'll stay on the ground, but if yhe opportunity popped up i would try it

J. Dirt likes this.
  16. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

Read up on it !! Study ! Don't just find a set of spurs and try hiking up a tree.
    Many places sell ( Starter) kits.
    If your going to climb. There are a few skills you should have . How to tie certain knots and hitches. And the knowledge of how, where and when to use them.
    Low and Slow. That's how you learn how to climb high and fast.

J. Dirt likes this.
  17. Creekin

Creekin

Thanks for the tips! I'll watch some videos

J. Dirt likes this.
  18. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

19. Creekin

Creekin

Thanks for the link!! I checked it out, there is alot more to it than i ever thought, might stay on the ground for now

J. Dirt likes this.
  20. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

Don’t get scared or discouraged. Just start slow and find someone you can climb with that’s willing to show you some things. It’s fun and enjoyable in the long run.

blacksmith likes this.