In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Brought an EGO cordless chain saw

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by wood and coal burner, Sep 30, 2026.

  1. wood and coal burner

    wood and coal burner

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2018
    Messages:
    303
    Likes Received:
    2,108
    Location:
    Quakertown,PA
    Well I wanted a cordless chainsaw that I could just pick up and go with. Also didn't want to break the bank so I placed a limit of $300 on it. Decided on the EGO 16" with 56volt battery. Brought from Lowes and it was $30 off and I also had a 10% coupon on top of that. Plus free shipping so a $279 tool for $225 plus tax. Tried it out today after giving the battery a full charge. Decided to give it some easy wood first and then some harder.

    First was some maple about 5" diameter - no problem cut 5 rounds.
    Then was some hickory 8" diameter - still no problem cut another 5 rounds.
    Next some red oak 10" diameter - bogged it down once but still managed 4 rounds.
    Lastly some 12" cherry - started to loose power and the saw stopped and I had to let the battery cool, continued cutting and it stopped again, finally finished with 3 rounds.
    Tried another and the battery was dead.

    About 1/2 hour for all that including marking my cuts. Not bad but it certainly proved it is not a gas chainsaw. Certainly has its purpoes though. What is nice is no fuel to pour, much quieter (even though I still wore my hardhat with face screen) and I did not smell like exhaust when done. Another plus is it was not a lot of work.

    Conclusion - not a bad tool and I didn't expect too much out of it. For ease of use and convenience a big plus. Certainly would not use it to cut big logs but small stuff and bucking - yes. It also keeps me from working too hard but another battery would be nice.
     
  2. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,866
    Likes Received:
    215,695
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Congrats on the new toy! It has its place in the arsenal.

    I bought a 20volt Dewalt saw with a 12" bar (bare tool) a couple years back. Mostly for bucking smalls and an occasional pruning job. I already owned a few batteries so was set on the brand. Nothing special in terms of performance, but handy when I use it. Nice not having to pull a rope to start and quieter than a gas saw.
     
  3. Burnin Since 1991

    Burnin Since 1991

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2025
    Messages:
    422
    Likes Received:
    3,212
    Location:
    Concord River Valley, Massachusetts, USA
    Yep, I got one of those battery powered dewalt's last winter. I don't do as much cutting as I used to and the battery stuff works great for me. I just bought a $40 battery powered pole saw off of temu.com . I had zero expectations and first look and I wasn't real impressed. I charged up the batteries, put it all together and son of a gun if it doesn't work pretty slick. I need to clean up some storm damage on cape cod in a few days/weeks so I will see how it holds up.

    Most of my battery powered is dewalt. It's the buy one brand and stick with it, right or wrong because nothing is interchangeable and I get it. Good for biz, but not for us.
     
  4. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,387
    Likes Received:
    31,928
    Location:
    Over here
    It's no longer a power issue, but an issue of carrying the energy to supply the power. 1/4 gallon of gasoline holds a whole lot of energy. I'm five or six years deep owning a little Makita 18volt unit. I actually have two due to misplacing one in the woods for a couple of weeks. No bother because that unit had some thermal gremlin and was always cutting out when it shouldn't have. The newer one is much better about that for whatever reason. I pulled the older unit apart and cleaned it thinking it was crudded up but no, it just doesn't like to work very hard. I use it for arm sized stuff and down. I think 6" is probably the biggest thing I've cut with it. I'd like them better if they used .325 instead of 3/8 LP. Decent for what it is. My 34cc top handle is faster through a cut using the same lp chain, but it weighs a couple of pounds more. I got 'in' strictly with grape vine cutting in mind and the Makita *excelled at that job. Makes much more sense than gasoline due to the distances between each cut needed. I can wreak havok on vines armed with the Makita and a pair of 2" loppers. Whatever is too much for the loppers, the saw takes care of. I hang it from a weedeater strap over my shoulder to allow free hands for the loppers. A whole 'system' I have, after much experimentation.
     
  5. cezar

    cezar

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2021
    Messages:
    485
    Likes Received:
    2,013
    Location:
    KY
    Best part about battery saws; no earmuffs. Do all your limbing in peace and quiet and then spend ten minutes with the gas saw bucking up logs.