In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Brand new to Stoves, need help with old country comfort please!

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by ---Chris---, Jan 3, 2020.

1. ---Chris---

---Chris---

I checked with B and G and unfortunately they dont have nor can get the collar. :confused:

wildwest, FatBoy85 and Chaz like this.
  2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

That would be a new one to me...

wildwest, FatBoy85 and Chaz like this.
  3. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

There’s a call out for both Duravent and metalbestos on your label. Maybe some cross referencing is in order?
    It’s seems as tho it would be fine.
    Keep us updated.

4. ---Chris---

---Chris---

I guess i shoulda read the tag better :headbang:

I had the stove in my truck and the fireplace guy told me i couldn't use double wall because it didnt say it (he was reading the label). But it does say "...duravent, metalbestos" Well that solves that. Alright now just waiting for parts and ill post how that goes and hopefully some installed pics by the weekend. Thanks!!

5. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

No worries Chris:salute:
    This is also known as (at a minimum) a double wall system.
    Google it. :yes:

6. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Sounds like a fun project. Your stove being older probably prompted a salesman to be confused or unbeknownst to the stove as it depends on how long they’ve been in the industry. If you talked to some who have burned in this stove, then they may know but most of these kinds of stoves are either being taken out of houses now and disposed of or put in shops for last use if the stove was in the house, having been replaced by another more efficient running one. Still a good heater though. With dry wood, there’s much less to be concerned with. Hope the venting battle has been solved when it gets to you. Looked to me like that rusting/corrosion was possibly responsible by less of a seal but I wouldn’t rule out that if the stove wasn’t used often moisture ran down the former venting prior to it being in your possession. Food for thought but with most stoves today, peering down the main vent, often there is that ceramic blanket that is laid on the baffle for another layer of heat efficiency. Suppose you can get some of that stuff in there, providing you have either a baffle or air tubes to support it. Not to cram it in there and choke it but flat across the vent and might give you some extra btu’s saved. Good luck!

Chaz and wildwest like this.
  7. ---Chris---

---Chris---

So i got the stove side of this problem solved. Fab'd up an adapter and it looks half decent but its on there solid.

Attached Files:

Chaz, Marvin, wildwest and 1 other person like this.
  8. ---Chris---

---Chris---

But now my issue is the box at the ceiling. I thought i was ready to roll but now im lost. I bought a ceiling to pipe adapter but where the screws go on the adapter, is wider then the actually chimney pipe. So im sending self tappers straight into the square box which is thin guage and doesnt sit level at all. Also i dont trust the thin metal to hold this weight. Ill atatch some pics. Thanks for any advice or help in advance!

Attached Files:

Marvin and wildwest like this.
  9. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Not quite following you here...is that the pipe adapter in the pic?

Chaz and wildwest like this.
  10. Kimberly

Kimberly

You might have to replace the ceiling box. In fact, I don't like the way the second photo looks. Have you been in the attic space to inspect the chimney? You can also inspect the ceiling box installation.

Chaz likes this.
  11. Kimberly

Kimberly

Here is a photo of an installation of chimney and ceiling box. The chimney is supported and the ceiling box connects to the chimney; flue connects to the ceiling box.
    [​IMG]

Marvin likes this.
  12. ---Chris---

---Chris---

No, no adapter in the pic, thats just what is coming out of my ceiling. Thats all that was here when i moved it.

Chaz and brenndatomu like this.
  13. yooperdave

yooperdave

Looks like someone modified it. Get up there and do a close visual on it; you want to get into the attic and investigate also.

Don't trust it just yet. Inspect the rest of the venting while in the attic also.

Chaz, wildwest, brenndatomu and 2 others like this.
  14. ---Chris---

---Chris---

So those pictures are from the roof looking down. I pulled the chimney pipe out to inspect. The attic space is too small to access it.

Attached Files:

Chaz, Marvin and brenndatomu like this.
  15. Kimberly

Kimberly

When you said chimney pipe, do you mean double-wall SS chimney?

---Chris--- likes this.
  16. Kimberly

Kimberly

That does not look like a proper ceiling box for the chimney; I think you are going to need to replace that.

Chaz likes this.
  17. billb3

billb3

Well you don't put stove pipe in a chimney enclosure.

Chaz and yooperdave like this.
  18. BHoller

BHoller

You shouldn't no. But lots of people have which is why it is good to check

Chaz and Kimberly like this.
  19. Kimberly

Kimberly

People do all sorts of things they shouldn't, like the post on here of the guy on a 20 foot ladder with a chainsaw. I never got a photo but I use to drive by a house that had black stove pipe sticking out a kitchen window; that use to make me cringe every time I saw it. However, when I looked closely at the photo, I could see the outline of what looked to be where double wall chimney made contact. However, that doesn't look to be a proper ceiling box to me; there is suppose to be a connection for the chimney. On the inside of the house the box looks like it has buckled; maybe from the heat or weight of the chimney. I am thinking it is a good thing the owner here has pulled that; I would question the installation. However, he can now make it right so he can burn safely.

BHoller likes this.
  20. ---Chris---

---Chris---

From my ceiling going through my attic and out of my roof. It is ameritec triple wall chimney pipe. It is 8 inch and reduce to 6 at the ceiling coming through the ceiling support box. I have a wood framed chimney coming out of my roof and this goes through the center of that.