In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Brand new to Stoves, need help with old country comfort please!

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by ---Chris---, Jan 3, 2020.

1. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I guess I don't see why you cant just stick a stove adapter in there and go? What is the ID of the hole?

2. fox9988

fox9988

How well does the crimped end of the stove pipe fit? If it fits fine, it should work fine.

3. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Chris welcome to the FHC, I have seen a variant of this type of stove that was specifically designed to run into HVAC line with electric dampers

4. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Looks to me if the crimped end fits snug it should seal just fine and the two holes can be used for screws to attach it

FatBoy85, ---Chris---, Chaz and 3 others like this.
  5. Kimberly

Kimberly

Check the ID of the flue opening. You might can get a shop to weld on a steel collar. Saw this on ebay uk; that is five inch and not six but just to illustrate.
    [​IMG]

Marvin likes this.
  6. yooperdave

yooperdave

I can't remember just where I saw them, but I have seen stoves with the same set up, that is....not flue collar. I am thinking that the crimped end of a single wall stove pipe will fit right in there and then you have a starting point for your venting.

Good luck!

FatBoy85, Eric VW and Chaz like this.
  7. Kimberly

Kimberly

I am thinking the same as YopperDave; I was thinking the same, drill a hole in the stove pipe the size for the bolt holes. Reach through the opening and screw in two bolts to secure the pipe and then continue on from there; it should be as good as if you had a flue collar. That will get you to heating this year with the stove and you have time to see what is available. You can put a flange around the stove pipe to dress it up as well.

8. Nitrodave

Nitrodave

I’m sure code would require an appliance adapter.....
    :deadhorse:

FatBoy85, billb3, yooperdave and 2 others like this.
  9. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

OP mentioned doublewall pipe...an appliance adapter is how I would start off with doublewall here...if the hole is too large, wrap the adapter with ceramic gasket...flat, or rope style...

FatBoy85, Chaz and yooperdave like this.
  10. ---Chris---

---Chris---

Thats my biggest concern, im sure the fireplace store was just trying to sell me a new stove but he was basically saying if i fab anything up my h/o insurance will drop me and blah blah blah. So that kinda scared me lol. I dont mind paying for the right part if i have to.... but finding the "right" part is looking impossible.

FatBoy85 and Chaz like this.
  11. ---Chris---

---Chris---

Ill order this and give it a try, id is 6" exactly so the crimped end should snug right in right? Thanks!!!

FatBoy85, Chaz and brenndatomu like this.
  12. yooperdave

yooperdave

Talk to your insurance agent first. Then educate the stove salesman.

I had no problems installing and insuring non-epa and epa stoves with my ins company.

FatBoy85, Chaz and Eric VW like this.
  13. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

You need to get the same brand as your pipe...it has to match

14. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

BTW, for any of you that don't care, ;) this stove was manufactured here locally, by a company with a long history in making bodies and truck cabs...the stove line came later on.
    Orrville Body Co., truck cabs, history, sleeper cab, quad cab, John LeChot, Orville Products, Meyer Products, Louis Berkman, Orrville, Ohio George Breneman, Allen L. Steiner, John A. LeChot - CoachBuilt.com
    Kind of an interesting read...at least to me.
    Oh, and that B and G stove shop listed above is still open...just went by there Friday night.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    FatBoy85, Chaz, Marvin and 1 other person like this.
  15. ---Chris---

---Chris---

This may be a stupid question, but once again, brand new to stoves... are Duravent dvl and M&G duravent different brands? Like you mentioned, i need everything the same brand but i keep seeing duravent branded on one thing and others says m&g duravent. Are they the same thing? Thanks everybody for the help!!!

16. Kimberly

Kimberly

I would call the B & G shop tomorrow and ask them about the flue collar; (330) 492-7800. They may have it in stock.

---Chris--- likes this.
  17. Kimberly

Kimberly

Yes, I saw that in my research; quite interesting.

18. ---Chris---

---Chris---

Will do

Chaz likes this.
  19. Nigel

Nigel

My European stove, a Scan Andersen a10, had this "no collar" look. It came with a bolt-on collar but my stovepipe didn't fit it too well. I bought the ICC "stove adapter" (using ICC connector) and it fit perfectly.

"Connect ULTRABlack to stoves with flue collars that do not project above the top of the stove. It can also be used to connect to stoves with irregular shaped or sized flue collars."

Basically screwed on the bottom of double walled connector for an extra length of interior pipe to stick out.

The "stove adapter" on this page ULTRABlack | ICC Residential Chimney

20. ---Chris---

---Chris---

So i ordered the adapter brenndatomu posted. Should get here in the next couple days and hopefully thats the solution. However, someone i spoke to at a stove store mentioned that i can only use double wall if it states its specifically on the back of my stove. I posted the back label at the beginning of the thread. But it shows min clearence for single wall and metalbestos. Does that mean im limited to only those and cant use duravent doublewall? Thanks again for all the help with my first stove!!!