In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Brand new stove - PE Summit - first weekend

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by BetterCallMaul, Feb 27, 2017.

1. BetterCallMaul

BetterCallMaul

Just got my brand new stove, liner, cap, etc. Installed on Friday. It's a PE Summit insert.

Being a complete novice, I had a hard time starting my first break-in fire Fri night. I think I'm getting the hang of it now!

Now to search for more wood for future burning seasons!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Locust Post, WeldrDave, Loon and 21 others like this.
  2. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

I have a Pacific Energy stove I have been using for 17 seasons. I love it.... great investment. Yours looks very nice.

Sent from my Z832 using Tapatalk

3. HarvestMan

HarvestMan

Nice! I like the look of it. What size firebox does it have out of curiosity ?

Well Seasoned likes this.
  4. mirnldi

mirnldi

I have a PE super insert. It was a very good investment. I wanted the summit but it was too big for my fireplace. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loon, Well Seasoned and Ronaldo like this.
  5. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

Great choice! PE stoves and inserts are first class all the way. They are very simple to operate and burn exceptionally cleanly and efficiently. For example, here's how clean my chimney was after 1.5 heating seasons with our T5. First sweep of the chimney I'm jealous of your Summit. I would love the EBT for my stove, but our house is just not big enough to handle a Summit/T6 sized stove.

Loon, Well Seasoned and mirnldi like this.
  6. bert the turtle

bert the turtle

PE Fusion here.

You'll get the feel of lighting it soon enough. I've got different ways of getting a hot fire going quickly depending on what kindling I have around and what kind of wood I'm burning. You'll rarely go wrong using a lot more kindling than you think you'll need and plenty of criss-crossing to let the air flow.

Loon, Well Seasoned and mirnldi like this.
  7. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

Burn well-dried wood and you will NEVER have a problem getting a draft/fire going. In contrast, I have the opposite problem. Sometimes, my stove takes off on me (750+ STT), even when the air is completely shut down. No worries... in the end it is just a short spike on the way to a nice long ride. I'm learning how to keep it under control. The vast majority of the time it cruises at a perfect 650 STT.

Loon and Well Seasoned like this.
  8. BetterCallMaul

BetterCallMaul

Thanks everyone. I'm just getting the hang of everything - kinda glad I'm getting it at the end of the winter so I can get a feel for it, run it occasionally and then be much more prepared for next winter.

Two bonuses for a stove install at the end of February:
    1. Installer had tons of availability
    2. Went to Tractor Supply to get a fireplace tool set and it was on clearance for $4.99

It's 3.0 cu ft. I've only gotten it half full so far and it's still throwing a lot of heat.

Loon, papadave, Well Seasoned and 5 others like this.
  9. mirnldi

mirnldi

Yes these PE's definitely throw some heat! Just a reminder. When u remove the top plate, check to make sure your baffle gasket is intact.

10. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

Has anyone tried burning it without the baffle gasket, how much difference would it really make?

Sent from my Z832 using Tapatalk

Well Seasoned likes this.
  11. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

Burn it hot and clean. I got lucky, it's just a couple steps from my couch, out onto the deck to check for smoke/clean gas out the chimney. I've been up and down all the time for the last two years checking the stack. That taught me how to burn cleanly. Now I don't need to check as often. However, I realize, it's not as convenient for many people to continuously check the stack.

12. BetterCallMaul

BetterCallMaul

When you say check the stack, do you mean check for smoke? When I first start the fire, I get some smoke and then when it starts getting going, it burns clean. Is smoke okay at the start?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

13. Sean

Sean

Kootenays, South Eastern BC Rockies Canada
    Congrats BetterCallMaul on the new stove, it looks great. Yes smoke in the beginning during start ups and reloads is to be expected. The goal is to get the stove up to temps asap so that your secondaries can reburn the smoke. Watching the stack is a good idea especially if youre wondering how clean you are burning. Heat vapors is all you will see when burning clean but you will see steam during a clean burn when its cold outside.

Loon, papadave, Well Seasoned and 2 others like this.
  14. Huntindog1

Huntindog1

buy you one of those cheap fireplace shovels while they are on clearance at tractor supply.
    then put itin a vise and flatten it out and then put a 90 deg bend in it about half way.
    Makes a good tool to push your ashes back against the back wall and push out the air from
    the ashes then pull back the hot coals towards the the front of the stove for you next reload.
    You will want to do this every time you reload as this will improve restarts with all the coals
    raked up front and will save you from cleaning it out so much as pushing the air out of the ash
    compacts it and takes long to fill the bottom of the firebox over time.

Loon, papadave, Well Seasoned and 2 others like this.
  15. Huntindog1

Huntindog1

Firebox size of the summit it one of the biggest nicest ones on the market for a fireplace insert.

Its approx 20 inch by 20 inch square box for easy northsouth or eastwest loading

16. mirnldi

mirnldi

I have burned without the gasket not knowing. Dealer said for the stove to perform the way it should, gasket should be installed. There only $4.

17. mirnldi

mirnldi

Smoke in the beginning is fine. As it warms up it dissipates

18. Oldhippie

Oldhippie

Nice install! It takes time and patience to get a good routine and good wood supply in the rotation, but it's worth the effort.

Welcome to FHC!

Loon, papadave and Well Seasoned like this.
  19. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

Yep, I was compulsively looking up at the stack for smoke. And yes, you will get smoke on start up until the fire box heats up enough for the secondary air to start reburning the smoke.

Loon and mirnldi like this.
  20. mirnldi

mirnldi

[​IMG]
    The PE is working today. High Wind Watch and plummeting temps today.