In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Bought a wood hauler

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by JoshC, Oct 6, 2014.

1. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Love the truck!!!

JoshC likes this.
  2. Certified106

Certified106

The truck turned out great! Love it !

JoshC likes this.
  3. JoshC

JoshC

Thought I'd report back in and share an update. I've used the truck and handful of times. Since I got the timing fixed and flow masters installed, it's fun to drive!

A couple of weeks ago I thought I'd troubleshoot my cooling issue. I pulled the water pump off expecting to see it rusted away. But, it was actually perfect looking. So, I put it back together and poured some radiator flush in the system. I ran it for a while and it developed a leak. Where from? The weep hole on the pump of course. So today I bought a new pump and radiator cap and installed them. Since I was going all in, I figured I'd hookup the lines to my heater core and also reinstall my thermostat. Wild, i know right?! Topped off with fluid and started her up. I half expected to see coolant spray inside of the cab but it didn't. Ran it till it got warm and by gollie if I don't have heat in the cab now! I watched my gauge to see what it would do when I hit 180 degree and sure enough the thermostat did it's job and I'm a happy camper!

Stinny, wildwest, HDRock and 6 others like this.
  4. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Glad everything is working well. Extras like heat in the cab is a bonus especially with winter nearly upon us.

5. JoshC

JoshC

Yeah no kiddin! My brother and I ran out real quick in a rain storm on sunday to grab a load I had cut Saturday morning because I was afraid someone would steal it. Although I was just down the road from the house, having no heat makes it difficult to see!

I do have a question, maybe you all will know. I don't have any reverse lights (they don't come on). I haven't started to troubleshoot the issue yet, but do you know where the reverse light switch is?

6. basod

basod

You have two different years of body/chassis there is a neutral start switch located on the driver side of the transmission in later models, and older ones had it located in the steering column

JoshC and wildwest like this.
  7. Razo

Razo

This really came out nice!

JoshC likes this.
  8. firecracker_77

firecracker_77

Man is that pretty. I love that dump bed. Real jealous! :D:drool:

JoshC likes this.
  9. JoshC

JoshC

Things are going well used the truck to haul some brush I cleared Sunday. And of course the heater core is leaking in the cab! I figured this would happen. This isn't going to be an easy job.

10. HDRock

HDRock

that sucks your heater core is leaking, good luck, heater cores aren't easy to work on for sure big PITA

11. basod

basod

heater cores in an old truck like that aren't too bad to swap out, most the work should be from the firewall side in the engine compartment.
    And as you've already figured out - no defrost is kind of scary;)

Don't know if you chased down the backup lights(if they are needed for inspection disregard) but a simple toggle switch with some halogens mounted off the frame will light things up pretty easy

HDRock, JoshC and Stinny like this.
  12. bearverine

bearverine

Now that is a West by God Virginia truck! Like the others, I'm so jealous of the dump bed!

Stinny and JoshC like this.
  13. Freakingstang

Freakingstang

that's quite the wood hauler you have there josh. I'm jealous.. sure beats my rickety trailer that I have to unload by hand..... awesome job.

eatonpcat and JoshC like this.
  14. JoshC

JoshC

Thank you. It finally quit raining long enough to get back on the heater core. I pulled it out a couple of week ago. So now i have working heat, cooling the way it should and no leaks. Reverse lights are next. Had to take a break for deer hunting season :D

15. Stinny

Stinny

Wow. Quite a project Josh. Nice job on all of it. Hydraulics rock!

JoshC likes this.