In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Bought a wood hauler

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by JoshC, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Razo

Razo

Probably a 352 or 360, would be rare but possibly a 390. Visually, there is no real way to tell since all those engines look the same and would have 352 cast into the block. Either way they are all good engines.

JoshC and HDRock like this.
  2. Greenstick

Greenstick

Carrington North Dakota-aka-Dakotah Territory
    Hey someone stole my rig that looked and ran just like that. Tell ya what....bring it to me and I won't call the cops on you. ;)

crzybowhntr, Gasifier, Razo and 2 others like this.
  3. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

It is a "FE" so it could be a 360 like they told you. To tell if it is a 360 you need to check the casting numbers on the block and measure the stroke. A 360 and 390 have the same bore and share the same block in some cases. The casting number is on the front of the block on the passenger side. Here is a sight with the casting numbers and it tells you how to roughly measure the stroke. If the casting number on your block is not on that sight let me know. I might be able to find it in a book.

http://www.fordification.com/tech/castingnumbers-FEblock.htm

JoshC, Scotty Overkill and HDRock like this.
  4. nate

nate Banned

I hope that cylinder is in good shape. A 3 stage unit is pretty $$ and PITA to rebuild.

5. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

Usually on old Ford's the motor can be identified by looking for a casting number up under the starter. You should be able to find it without tearing the starter off.

The should also be a number on the intake manifold starting with a "C" or "D", the letter C signifies 1960's and D is 1970's.

So "C8" would mean 1968, "D2" would mean 1972, etc. I saw a number in your one picture and it looked like "CT" for the first two digits, maybe that signifies 19 60's truck motor, would most likely mean it is a 360 or 390 "truck" motor.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble, just trying to help figure out what it is. Nice looking rig, even NICER price tag! Heck I just dropped 1200 bucks on a non - dump trailer this week!! You got a whole damm dump truck for a hundred dollars more!!

Drvn4wood and JoshC like this.
  6. nate

nate Banned

Do Fords not have build tags on the visors or glovebox like Chevy's?

7. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

No but if it did you still would not know what you really had. On an old truck like this someone could have put any kind of an engine in it.

8. JoshC

JoshC

Feeling excited. Yesterday we cut my oak lumber for the flooring. Ended up with 18 (true) 2X6s and 14 (true) 1x6s. I'm very happy! I started to cut way rusted through parts on the frame this weekend too. 3 of the 4 overload spring hangers were junk. The only reason #4 wasn't is because someone had replaced it. Well, instead of buying some I made some. Not perfect but they'll do!

Attached Files:

savemoney, Gasifier, papadave and 7 others like this.
  9. HDRock

HDRock

10. JoshC

JoshC

Had a day at the house so I worked on the rig. I was able to get the spring mounts off on the front of the rear leafs and put a 1/4" plate behind them and the overload spring hangers. Frame is now done, primer sprayed and also put in new plugs, wires, cap and button and she runs like a champ! Tomorrow I'll paint the frame, weld on the head ache rack to the bed and get everything line up to install the bed Sunday! I can't wait to get it back on. Feeling excited!!!

Attached Files:

Gasifier, papadave, HDRock and 2 others like this.
  11. basod

basod

That truck has to look&sound badazz running around without a bed right now:yes: glad it was general tune-up and nothing major on the engine for you.

JoshC likes this.
  12. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

Did you figure out which engine it has?

I am painting a frame, putting a new bottom in the bed and building racks for a 79 F-350 now.

JoshC likes this.
  13. JoshC

JoshC

I didn't research the motor any further. Bought parts for a 360 and they fit.

One of the cherry bombs isn't hooked up so it sounds like a race car at the moment and with no weight on the rear every gravel is felt!

14. HDRock

HDRock

Lookin really great :thumbs:, new ignition parts did the trick eh ! Good deal :), A lot of times previous owners may put in new plugs but neglect the rest

JoshC likes this.
  15. JoshC

JoshC

Getting closer. Bed goes on tomorrow. Quick paint job on the frame so it at least has one decent coat before bed is mounted. I've got some treated lumber to lay down on the frame rails to give the bed a place to rest. I didn't plan real well when taking the bed off and it's been a pain not working on level ground. Oh well.

Attached Files:

Drvn4wood, basod, savemoney and 2 others like this.
  16. HDRock

HDRock

Wow you are going to town on that puppy, nice work :cool:
    :popcorn:

basod likes this.
  17. Gasifier

Gasifier

:thumbs:

18. Gasifier

Gasifier

Very nice job so far Josh. Greenstick is going to love it when he gets it back!

Greenstick likes this.
  19. JoshC

JoshC

LOL thanks fellas. I aim to please.

Gasifier likes this.
  20. JoshC

JoshC

Another tough day put in. A buddy brought his tractor over and between his and mine we were able to get the bed set into place. That was a lot of work! I need the treated lumber to do its job-shrink-and the bolts will line up perfectly for the frame mounts. But it works as is. We also hooked up a manual choke cable, which is a huge help! And lastly, hooked up the muffler that got knocked off. Sounds normal now. I took her for a drive and it had a lot of backfire, but still ran much better. I brought it back home and adjusted the distributer a little bit and got it running better, but it's still not 100%. Anyways, I think it looks so much better with the headache flush with the top of the cab. Did I mention I also delivered a load of wood to a customer? :)

Attached Files:

basod, Greenstick and HDRock like this.