In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Bought a new vehicle lately? How'd it go?

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by RCBS, Aug 22, 2024.

1. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

I know my antimatter blue is that way.

wildwest, Horkn, RCBS and 1 other person like this.
  2. RCBS

RCBS

Thanks guys. Currently have myself in a tizzy trying to figure out how I want to go about protecting the finish. An old hobby of mine that is struggling to adapt to modern methods. Somewhat overwhelming, having to learn about a completely different truck platform and update my detailing repertoire. I can't own a vehicle and not know the service practices, maintenance and general foibles.

Gonna purchase a 'clay mitt' and some iron remover soon. I have never before used either of these products. I am a traditional clay and wax kinda fella....or I was at least. :) Can't decide whether to coat with my long time favorite synthetic wax from Meg's, or do the poly sealer from Griots. Gonna lay the new fancy ceramic spray on stuff overtop of whichever.

The 'problem' with a pretty truck is that you must keep it clean & shiny. I was told that I would wash the paint off of the last pretty one I had. lol That's just the crutch those unwilling to keep their vehicle in good order use to comfort themselves. :thumbs:

3. RCBS

RCBS

I choose to try to 'befriend' the F&I people, rather than go to war with them. I let them know that I know how the game works and invite them to be fair. In this instance I threw him a bone in the form of extended warranty plan, because I know the dealership makes money from them. Their price was reasonable and within $100 of the lowest I could muster using thrid party sellers. I know they need to eat, but I also must as well.

If you want to stop the onslaught of dealer add-ons in the finance room, just tell them that you do not wish to finance any extras, just the car. The combination of finance and dealer add ons is a double dip for them. If they persist (and you have good credit) tell them that you will secure your own finance if purchase without add ons is questioned. They want the finance kickbacks as much as they want the sale, possibly more depending on market conditions.

I avoided all that mess this time around, thankfully. Should be taking delivery in a couple days.

wildwest, brenndatomu, Horkn and 3 others like this.
  4. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Good tips RCBS thanks last one was 6 months ago for my 18 yo daughter. I know my credit; hers I checked but at 18 getting her history was limited.

there is only so many dealers here and our area seems more expensive than NYC area

Last edited: Aug 28, 2024 at 9:01 AM
    wildwest, brenndatomu, Horkn and 3 others like this.
  5. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

The transmission went on our Nissan Murano a couple years ago. I got sticker shock at the quotes to replace it. It is very clean for a 2011 with 185k miles so we thought of selling it as is and buying new. This would be primarily for her. This was during COVID and couldn't find much to suit her needs and decided to fix it as I didn't want to commit to an extended payment plan at my age. Even looked at a stripped down new F150 with 4WD and I got sticker shock. At this stage of the game I'll buy used especially a truck as I've driven a "beater" most of my life and I'm fine with it. End of October it'll be seven years since ive owned my familiar F150 and for $3900 it doesn't owe me anything. I had kinda planned for it to go this long and should consider a "new" one soon.

Best of luck with the new truck and be sure to post pics.

EODMSgt, Eric VW, wildwest and 3 others like this.
  6. Horkn

Horkn

Those frontiers look to be the best deal in a compact, which is really a midsized truck today.

blacktail, Eric VW, wildwest and 2 others like this.
  7. RCBS

RCBS

I would like to have a work truck in my stable as well. Can't find anyone to buy the motorbike I want to sell to fund one with. I've become spoiled. I have been driving super dependable trucks for 18 years now...never needed a hook because the truck was unwilling. I can't get that from the work truck I also desire. Being confident in knowing that my vehicle will drive me to Buenos Ares and back at the drop of a hat with no problems is a luxury that I have become accustomed to. A far cry from my early days of vehicles where the next town over is *probably do-able. LOL

8. RCBS

RCBS

I looked around at the market and the Nissan was the best choice for me. I am what many would consider a 'toyota fanboi', so it is shocking to most who know me. Being an 'old head' I don't need any of the gizmos that they use to push sales these days. Are they nice? Sure. Did I live my whole life just fine up until, without? You bet. I let all the subscriptions and doodads expire on my last truck because they were not really useful to me. Who am I to think that I need a WiFi hotspot coming from my pickup truck? lol Like I got anything at all going on that pressing.

blacktail, Eric VW, wildwest and 4 others like this.
  9. JRHAWK9

JRHAWK9

I use CarPro's IronX and it works great. I will be buying this next though, as it's an iron and tar remover. Other half has a white vehicle, so every spring I have to get rid of all the fallout "rust" spots that show up over winter.

CARPRO TriX Tar & Iron Remover 500ml (17oz)

10. Horkn

Horkn

Well, considering that all new tacos are 4 cylinders and no V6 option anymore, Nissan will get a lot of sales. Time for Nissan to either make the Xterra again or make a real Pathfinder again. New 4Runners are all the same 4 cylinders as the tacos and you have to buy the Lexus GX to get a v6

11. RCBS

RCBS

Absolutely. If they were to lean into it, they could eat Toyota's lunch here. Real bad timing discontinuing the Titan with the Tundras having most of their engines recalled. They are expanding the Frontier line for 25. Not sure how much yet, but certain trims will now be available with long beds. (6') Otherwise, new rims, bigger screen lol, and some exterior dress ups. Tacoma's reliability has come into question at this point. It was the main draw in the beginning of those trucks. Simple, dependable, affordable. That formula is long gone now.

blacktail, wildwest, Eric VW and 2 others like this.
  12. RCBS

RCBS

You'ins have a lot of Iron in the air out that way. I detailed my 06 Tacoma when I got home from my trip to Wyoming and it nearly turned my clay bar pink. I was shocked as I never see much accumulation otherwise. I was only out that way for 8 days. I'm just looking to remove any and all contaminants on the new truck before I get to slapping down layers of protection. Full disclosure means that I have many times before done multiple washes, clayed and applied and removed multiple products back to back to back to back and then the next day I can't lift my arms up. :whistle: Looking for ways to make this a little easier on myself, but still do a thorough job.

13. JRHAWK9

JRHAWK9

Could very well be, I know it's also a white color thing, those spots tend to really stand out as does tar spots.

I get it. :salute: I've been detailing my own cars now for 35 years. I use Menzerna polishes and a -RUPES MILLE- polisher for paint correction after decontamination but before I do any paint sealing.

upload_2024-8-28_10-29-38.png

This past weekend I used that polisher along with a wool pad/compound to remove some pretty nasty stuff from my sister's car from what she scraped the side of her car on the garage. LOL I then followed up with Menzera polish to get rid of any micro-scratches the aggressive pad/compound may have caused. Turned out great and she was shocked I was able to get them all out.

<EDIT> The photo above is of my car, not my sister's which I removed the scratches from. After I read it, I realized it may have been misleading.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2024 at 12:33 PM
    Horkn, wildwest, Eric VW and 3 others like this.
  14. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Good choice, because if a trans rebuild will make it reliable for a few years to come, you are better off...buying a new one would have cost you as much in taxes as what it cost you to pay for that trans...and for that money you got a reliable vehicle for a few more years, but the tax money gets you little to nothing, and you still have a boat load of payments to make!

RCBS, eatonpcat, Horkn and 3 others like this.
  15. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

My buddy, who is a lifetime auto body guy, tells me that whole ceramic thing is a scam...not sure if he means the prices, or the product (both?)

RCBS, eatonpcat, Horkn and 2 others like this.
  16. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Any clue on the height getting in and out of it vs my Duramax? (2005)

RCBS, eatonpcat, Horkn and 1 other person like this.
  17. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Sadly it was the SECOND time it was done. We bought it used in 2015 or 16 and doesn't get used that much. Both times I was running an errand and it crapped out. I've heard that its something to do with Nissans...notorious for tranny issues from what I was told. I wouldn't buy one. She picked it out.

We got three prices on the work. I got a deal by paying cash of course. The place was a lot cheaper. Still a good chunk of change. Problem was it was during COVID and took forever to find the one for the vehicle.

My next truck will be a Ford of course.

18. Horkn

Horkn

Nissan tried with the Titan. Full size just wasn't their thing.

brenndatomu and eatonpcat like this.
  19. Horkn

Horkn

That's a tough one to figure out, without measuring the height of your current truck.

RCBS, brenndatomu and wildwest like this.
  20. blacktail

blacktail

Used toyota pickups were already expensive, but their new engine options are causing even more people to go the used route. So used prices are even more outrageous now.

RCBS, brenndatomu and Horkn like this.