In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Bought 2 new chopping axes today.

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by Hoytman, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Hoytman

Hoytman

Tried three times to creat this thread. Let’s see if this works.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/groundwork-ultimate-chopping-axe-175-in-60111132

I know these don’t seem to have good ratings on the TSC website, but I snagged 2 of them for far less than the original price. Other than handle length I can’t see a difference between them and the Fiskars and I could have bought 4 for the price of the Fiskars. TSC wants $34-$36 dollars for a 14” hatchet. Same thing at Lowe’s for $26.

Only reason I bought these was because they were so cheap. I’m looking to buy a smaller high quality hatchet and an axe. Got any suggestions?

M2theB and Ronaldo like this.
  2. Yawner

Yawner

A long handle is necessary for splitting most firewood. That one is 18 inches and will be handy for splitting small pieces or resplitting already done splits. I have a short handle Fiskars and it's great for easier pieces but you can't get much leverage for splitting rounds like you can with a long handle.

M2theB likes this.
  3. Hoytman

Hoytman

Yep, I have a couple old short handles already, but they need some attention, so I plan on buying a couple more and at least one being the Fiskars. Just wish they had a wooden handle. I’ll be buying from Lowe’s and using a gift card and saving money over buying it from TSC. I need to price the long handle axe’s and maul’s at TSC and Lowe’s...see which is cheapest. I have gift cards for both places, which is nice. Not sure about those plastic handles, how they will last or how shock resistant they are, but I like how the heads are designed and they are sharper than anything else on the racks.

Still would like to buy a short and long handled set of higher quality...something with a nice wooden handled that can be made shaving sharp.

4. Yawner

Yawner

Fiskars has lifetime guaranty and they honor it.

Dakota Hoarder and Hoytman like this.
  5. Hoytman

Hoytman