In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

bonfire pics

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by sirbuildalot, Jul 16, 2020.

1. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I had a bonfire this weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I even carved up a watermelon for the guests

[​IMG]

2. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

Burning pressure treated wood is a really bad idea. The exposure to arsenic through the smoke and ashes is a real threat. Arsenic is a potent neurotoxin and exposure to it has been implicated in a whole host of nasty diseases. The only person you are fooling by not getting "caught" is yourself or you unsuspecting friends downwind.

3. Timberlake0377

Timberlake0377

I don't think arsenic has been used in PT wood for like 16 years. Unless it's an old deck or something, it shouldn't contain arsenic. BUT, probably should still light it and watch it from a good ways away to avoid the smoke! We'll probably find out here in a few years the newer chemicals they use are just as bad, but for now....

4. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

I try not to burn treated wood and stuff just to protect ole Mother Nature. But I don’t get obsessive about it as fires in west burn houses, cars roads etc etc

5. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Excellent points Dave. :yes:
    At FHC we pride ourselves on sharing our knowledge- of proper stove performance and firewood preparation, among other things... this should include what we burn in our outdoor pits and such.
    Part of what we also share is our caring for each other, and to a large extent the environment. This is why we choose to heat with a renewable resource.
    And after all, many of us found the site by way of an Internet search, and best practices should always be promoted.
    :salute:

6. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

You are correct, the use of arsenic in PT wood was stopped in 2003, it is still available for marine and agricultural applications.

New treatments of PT wood are copper compounds which while non toxic when they leach into the ground are still toxic when burned.

Once the label is removed and the wood weathers it can be difficult to tell whether the wood is CCA wood or a newer treatment wood.

7. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

exactly I burnt some cedar fence 15 years old, it looked clean BUT I did not pay for test probably should have why I say I try not am NOT obsessive.

8. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

Right, people are going to do whatever, just wanted to make the point be known, sorry for the derail...back to the fire pics:)

9. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Understood completely! Any man that trains his dogs, hounds no less, to come back after they jump a rabbit during the chaos at a GTG has earned the right to be heard. My opinion

NH mountain man, leoht, mat60 and 5 others like this.
  10. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

I appreciate the info...Most likely will still burn any small amounts of PT waste that I make at my house and take the risk. Over the years, I have worked at a Shipyard, Pulp and Paper Mills, Steel Mills, Foundry's, Auto Plants, Chemical Plants and most likely any other Factory/Mill you can think of...I figure I have been exposed to much worse than PT wood fumes.

11. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

Really not wishing to beat a dead horse here, but its my understanding that the damage can be a cumulative effect for some diseases, throw in personal experience and genetics of the individual (my daddy did it this way his whole life) and it can seem like a crap shoot to most folks so they end up taking your approach. So as the safety guys like to say ALARA. Is it reasonable to just not throw the PT on the pile?, for me it is.

12. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Makes sense...

13. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Our turn. We mostly burnt the branches from the elms we took down. We were up there with Holly and sitting there looking at the pile. We were going to have it tonight but changed our minds. Took a run down to the house and packed up some beer and some paper and off we went.
    20200807_183614.jpg 20200807_183953.jpg

NH mountain man, leoht, mat60 and 9 others like this.
  14. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

We had a pretty spectacular bonfire this weekend. I took some junk pallets I had hanging around, and stacked them about 6' high in the fire pit.

[​IMG]

The flames reached as high as 20'+. My wife was a little uh "concerned" My aunt who was on the deck about 40'-45' away said she could feel the heat from the deck.

NH mountain man, leoht, Chaz and 7 others like this.
  15. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Nice bonfire.

NH mountain man, Chaz and mat60 like this.
  16. billb3

billb3

As it is considered hazardous waste you're not supposed to. A neighbor could call the local EPA office and they might send agents out and have a really long talk with the parties involved. That's what it took to get a neighbor to stop burning household garbage in an outdoor fire pit along with fresh cut brush from his part time landscaping business after he ignored visits and warnings from the local PD and FD.

17. Ron T

Ron T

Good one

18. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

The only thing with tall fires, is you have to be watchful for leaners. This one did start to lean to the left once the pallets started giving way.

[​IMG]

I pre wet the ground around the pit, for at least 10', and had a hose at the ready. I was actually able to pull this back towards the center of the pit with a long handled all steel hoe I made.

19. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

20. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Nice!!!

Is the Swedish torch Hickory?

Chaz and Chazsbetterhalf like this.