In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Boating for fun, work or fishing

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by J. Dirt, Apr 26, 2017.

1. moresnow

moresnow

Looks like a sweet setup for serious fishing. What is the powerplant?
    Show us a few pics of the salmon and crabbing routine's. Being a midwest and Florida fisherman it's all very interesting to me. Especially your "dry?" boat launch!:eek: Waiting for the tide I suppose. Rather interesting. Do you get the boat out at a ramp during higher tide? Guessing so?

2. spotted owl

spotted owl

No pictures for awhile, I mostly cut my thumb off two weeks ago, it’s gonna take a bit to heal up. This is 100% a fishing and trapping boat. Power is a 140 Suzuki. We were doing mock up this season to figure out what works best and where. Salmon is just hand trolling, usually done up around SE Alaska. Manual gurdies with 30# balls. Crab I’m not sure yet. I haven’t crabbed out of a small boat before. I’ll lease a permit for a few years while that gets dialed in or decided against.

Flat bottom it can sit on tide flats while we run traps or dig clams. The flat bottom, bow flare and angles have been perfected over the generations for landing back up on the beach.

No ramp. Launched right off the beach into the surf. Time the wave sets, back the truck down, pop the boat off, go park above tide line, run back to the boat, push out and away you go. Landing, just the reverse, time the wave set, full throttle and slide up on to the beach. Back the truck down, trailer tilts and load up.

If you google, Pacific City dory, there’s a bunch of stuff and videos. Here’s a couple to get an idea. Not as intense as Deep Creek but it works pretty good for us.

This one is kinda long but the first 4-5 minutes is good

Owl

3. moresnow

moresnow

Very interesting. First time seeing that! Gotta be hell on the trucks with all the salt? As much fun as we have keeping rust/corrosion away on the boat I can only imagine these guys are fresh water rinsing the truck/trailers big time.
    The Suzuki's are nice and quiet. We use a pair of 175's on a center console that have been pretty reliable outside of the lower end output shafts corroding away. Kind of odd?

metalcuttr and Brandon Scott like this.
  4. moresnow

moresnow

IMG_2839.jpg IMG_2842.jpg IMG_2843.jpg And we are off to another good start! Yesterday. All Browns. All 16 to 20 inch. Using a drift boat.

5. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Nice trout! :thumbs: You just had to post that, huh?! Are those stocked? I got my trout stamp for this year but haven’t gone out yet. I do believe a weekend trip is in order now that I’ve got the itch…

6. Ohio

Ohio

0423222037a_Film2.jpg
    Caught this tiny bluegill last night. I have not been fishing in over ten years. I cast another time after releasing and I'm almost positive I caught the same fish again. It beats getting skunked. Hopefully more fishing this summer.

7. moresnow

moresnow

10 yrs is a long time away from fishing! Certainly hope you get many chances to get out in the future.

8. moresnow

moresnow

Yepper I had to post it for sure! These Browns may have come from our state sponsored stocking program indirectly. They may also be from naturally reproducing stock. I can for sure say they were caught in a stretch of water that is not considered a trout fishing destination. This water is not directly stocked to my knowledge but does get fed by many stocked streams. No great surprise a few trout exist here.
    I pre-fished it for a guiding service of a buddies and had a jaw dropping day! My intents were to catch primarily Smallmouth, Northern Pike, and possibly Walleye. We caught none of the other species. Zero:loco: :crazy:.
    The last and only other time I fished here my wife and I caught so many Smallies we quit counting.
    Thinking I have a long season ahead just fleshing out the opportunities on the rest of this river and a couple others locally that are generally off the radar to the Trout fishing crowd. Excited.

9. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

No fishing yet but I have been getting the boat all squeaky clean and outfitted for Lingcod season opener May first. All cleaned and waxed, motors run and tested, batteries charged and fueled up. Now have to get all rods and tackle loaded and start tying leaders. Always a big push to make ready for the opener. Be glad when I can stop working and just fish! cleanboat.jpg

10. moresnow

moresnow

metalcuttr nice looking boat. Cant say I am familiar with the brand. How do you like the Honda's? Do you troll for Lingcod? Downriggers or outriggers ever used out that way?

metalcuttr likes this.
  11. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Nothing wrong with that. I have just as much fun catching bluegill, perch and pumpkinseed as I do trout, catfish or largemouth bass. :thumbs:

12. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Hey moresnow , it is a brand particular to the NW. Quite the icon here with an enthusiastic cult following. Wide and very stable but with enough dead rise to handle rougher water. Being it is wide, I was going to name her "Fat Bottom Girl". Because of certain resistance :hair:I ended up with "Nancy Lee". Things were much calmer afterwards!:handshake: The Hondas have been totally trouble free and very stingy on gas. Down riggers are very common for Salmon but I prefer to mooch for them (drift fish with herring). Out riggers are used by commercial trollers but not so much for sport fishing. Lingcod are salt water bottom fish and not a true cod. They are structure oriented and very toothy and voracious and can get up to 80ish pounds. Where we fish close by there is a slot limit of 24" to 30" with plenty of fish in that range and better eating than the largest ones. They have meaty and mild white flesh. That is me under the canopy.

Attached Files:

13. moresnow

moresnow

metalcuttr Thanks for the detailed description. Sounds/looks like good fun and good eats. Good luck on the opener.

metalcuttr and Chvymn99 like this.
  14. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Thanks! For grins, the fillet above has a slight green tinge. Many lings get this and much greener, while others are white. Everything turns white when cooked. Fun to mess with people not in the know.:bug:

moresnow and eatonpcat like this.
  15. Rope

Rope

metalcuttr There is a remote chance I will be going to Tacoma to pick up a boat. If this slim chance happens lunch is on me.

16. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

I will be available at any time with an appetite. You get the lunch, I'll get the liquid stuff. Sure would be a hoot!:thumbs:

eatonpcat and Rope like this.
  17. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Finally got out with my brother. Skunked the first time but had three large fish on, almost to the surface then they inexplicably came unbuttoned. Second trip my brother had to go for glory and caught two lings 42" and 43" which were way beyond the slot limit (26"-36") and had to go back. I also hooked a smaller one that was promptly knocked off the the line as my brother (a novice netter) tried to bag it. Normally don't bring releasers into the boat but these big ones have a habit of rolling in the net and getting all tangled. I didn't feel like sacrificing my net by cutting it so we untangled them in the boat. Lings are very durable so no problems if you use a soft net and get them back quickly. Maybe just cut the line next time but I hate to sent them away with hooks in their mouths. I kept asking my brother "Can you spell fish fry? Can you use it in a sentence like "we ain't goin' to have a fish fry if you keep catching those big ones." Fun time though and nice weather! These fish were in the 30+ lb range. bigfish1.jpg bigfish2.jpg bigfish3.jpg

Rope, eatonpcat, MikeInMa and 4 others like this.
  18. moresnow

moresnow

Thems some big ole critters:yes: Good to see somebody is getting action! Enjoy.

metalcuttr and eatonpcat like this.
  19. Warner

Warner

Nice catch metalcuttr . The cod in the gulf of Maine have been protected for a bit. Bigguns were fun 20 years ago. 59CC77F9-BA48-4310-A813-0FB6A419B832.jpeg

20. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Catching some keepers now (26"-36") and also some larger fish as well. Some pictures: My partner with a 32"fish dingaling1.jpg Bluest fish in a while at 27" dingaling2.jpg Fish in the box dingaling3.jpg "It is Leviathan, he causes a stirring of the waters" dingaling4.jpg "Old Bucket Mouth" Don't stick your hand in there! 46" and released dingaling5.jpg Heading home in front of the rain! fishing3.jpg

eatonpcat, Chvymn99 and MikeInMa like this.