In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Boating for fun, work or fishing

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by J. Dirt, Apr 26, 2017.

1. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

That’s cool I’ve got the wireless MotorGuide and unless your within 2’ of it forget controlling it!

2. trail twister

trail twister

Had a Safety Mate I bought in the summer of 1969, hew hull an dused Evenruide motor. Motor was trash blew in 3 weeks of nothing but trolling, dealer didn't want to fix it till dads lawyer called him reminding him I had taken it in because it didn't seem to be pumping water like the rest of the rudes I saw. another 4 weeks and it threw rod berrings and other trash all over inside the boat. Once again dads lawyer had to talk to the dealer and I made them dismount the motor to fix it this time.

I went to a Mecury Marine dealer and had a new 65Hp on and in the water in a half hour, great motor. we would ski with it nearly all day then go trolling in the evening with it.
    Traded that rud motor for a Honda Super Hawk motor cycle and the guy who got the rude up graded his cussing vocabulary. Left him on the opsite side of the lake from the public launch and the Marina charged him $20.00 to dock there while he went for the truck and trailer.

I decided in 1972 I wanted a small fishing boat so bought a Star Craft Deep/Wide v with a 9.9 Mercury. Has been a good boat, Was stolen once but recovered when the guy that bought it from a pawn shop tried to redguster it for a motor. I still have it and use it a little bit yet.

I bought a Coleman Ram X 17 foot canoe to canoe the river near our UP Michigan property and fish beaver ponds. some ponds and the fact there are 4 of us promped me to buy a Coleman Ram X 15 foot canoe. Still have them both but the 17 gets the most use now.

In 1997 Decided I wanted a bigger boat for fishing ther Bay's DeNoc in the UP, our property is on Big Bay DeNoc.
    Have used it there a lot but also Michigans Saginaw Bay and Lake Huron of Lexington Mi. It is a 19 foot Star Craft Pro Fisherman with a 115 Mercury.

These days when the water is still cold My friends and I fload the small rivers with the Ram X to fish but once the water gets warm we float in our intertube rigs.

:D Al

3. Midwinter

Midwinter

4. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Anyone heard of Belzona?

5. Horkn

Horkn

Here's a not so great picture on a not so great weather point of the long weekend at lake Wisconsin. My boat's the little 19.5' correct craft.

20190703_194032.jpg

I should have taken more pics, because getting an overhead picture like that of this boat isn't easy. We were on the second story balcony of a tall house on the shoes, giving a great vantage point.

The cool thing about this picture is that you can see the Merrimack Ferry on the upper right corner of the picture. It's guided by cables, and goes 24-7. It's free too, and there's ice cream shops on both ends of the waiting areas.

6. Horkn

Horkn

No, what's that?

7. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

WWW heard it's JBWeld on steriods and can seal a hairline crack on the block.

8. Horkn

Horkn

I see.
    Belzona 1111 (Super Metal) composite

I could've used that in a few applications over the years.

9. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

But she's the coolest of all of them :) :dex:

Supposedly there is a composite dealer 3 hours north of us but I have a feeling it might be "an authorized XYZ only" that can purchase it. I'll find out.

10. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

IMG_9401.JPG Just a few pictures from a ride today, it sure felt nice. The water is down a few feet compared to our last outing here but still high for this time of year.

When I first posted, I put up some old pictures but took them down. Picture 9346 is a rock from the previous time out and 9389 is from today and you can see how much the water dropped.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  11. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

12. Horkn

Horkn

Mink, or Fisher? Unless it's a super dry otter. Bare minimum it's from the Weasel family nonetheless.

13. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

14. Horkn

Horkn

15. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

16. Midwinter

Midwinter

Brandon Scott, J. Dirt and metalcuttr like this.
  17. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

Oh most will be frozen, we'd never eat all that at once. See a lot of other people catching them but have really talked to anyone to know for sure what they got

Brandon Scott, J. Dirt and Midwinter like this.
  18. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

My Dad was a Navy pilot stationed in Argentia, Newfoundland when I was about 11-12 years old. We used to cast red and white Daredevil spoons from the dock into Argentia bay and catch cod. The one you are holding is a dandy! HUGE fish to a small boy! The Newfoundland people were fine, courteous folks . They thawed slowly but were warm and hospitable when they got to know you. They were especially kind to youngsters! Good memories!

19. Midwinter

Midwinter

Just hitchin up the boat to go do some fishin...

J. Dirt, eatonpcat, Stinny and 2 others like this.
  20. Stinny

Stinny

J. Dirt and Brandon Scott like this.