Anyone know much about it? One of the big oaks next door on my dad's property is losing leaves rapidly. This tree is a good 40"dbh and was probably here before either of the houses. I noticed one day a few weeks ago that alot of leaves on the west side of the tree were starting to brown and I just thought maybe they were stressed from the crazy wind storm we had back in June and the lack of rain we've had here all month. But I noticed that the leaf die off is spreading throughout the tree now. I did some research and came across this http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/forest/community/bls.html Looks like I might lose the tree if indeed it's BLS. Any way to tell the difference between leaves dying due to drought and bls? Im crossing my fingers it doesn't spread to my other giant oaks
That is really a shame smokin. According to the link the tree will eventually die so plans probably should be made. However, if it is not bls, then perhaps a blight and the tree would continue to live. Perhaps only time will tell. Did you take a few leafs and compare with the picture they show of bls?
The leaves on the ground seem like they're just dried out and dropped like they do in the fall. From what I can see up in the canopy it very well could be bls. Im going to have a certified arborist take a look at it for me. Really hate to lose this tree but we'll see how it comes back this spring.
That is a shame. We never can predict how that stuff will move around. a few years back, we had whole neighborhoods loose maple leaves. They turned brown in late August and fell off. But the tress recovered the next year and have not repeated the problem.
If it does die ( ) how will you take it down? Looks to be strategically located between house and damage... Sorry you might loose such a beautiful oak next to your dad's property.
We've got a 60' boom lift that I'll probably use to top it then just bring the trunk down in the yard.
As long as the tools are up and running when you need em haha. Currently the lift has a hydraulic pump issue we're trying to diagnose. So hopefully the tree doesn't die anytime soon.