In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Block Off Plate

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by ReelFaster, Jul 9, 2018.

1. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

When I install my insert this late summer/early fall I intend on putting up a block off plate. Was at my local box store this weekend (lowes) and found this for approx $30.

I did not purchase just yet because my question is would this be ok? Or should I try and find a galvanized piece of sheet metal or would this do just fine? Also wanted to ask would aluminum be ok to use? Lowes has that as well! I have a local steel and metal shop too that I can probably get anything I need for this project but just wanted to ask. Thanks much in advance fellas!! 20180708_080810.jpg

2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

That would work fine...will rust though...I'd just get a piece of galvanized...I think they stock sheets of it for making duct work and the like...might even be a lil cheaper...and aluminum would be fine too.
    You can go a lil lighter than 22 ga. too...what ever they stock should be OK...22 ga. would work...just harder to work with...you are just blocking off air movement.

FatBoy85, Horkn, Chaz and 1 other person like this.
  3. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Thanks so much Brenn! I think I saw 24 or 26ga aluminum I may just go what route!

FatBoy85, Horkn, Chaz and 1 other person like this.
  4. fishingpol

fishingpol

I would stick with the plain mild steel. It will last years.

Galvanized can off gas zinc at certain temps and cause serious health effects. Your temps from the stove and liner may never get to that temperature point, but you will be heating a galv sheet every day the stove is running in your living space. Just my .02.

5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Hmm, yeah, didn't think about that...I was thinking galv. off gassed at something like 800*...but I see they say not to use it over 392*...I don't get why its commonly used for vent pipe on oil furnaces...400* would not be that abnormal...

FatBoy85, Horkn, huskihl and 2 others like this.
  6. fishingpol

fishingpol

I've seen it many times on boilers, not sure why. Corrosion resistance to nat gas is my guess.

FatBoy85, ReelFaster and Horkn like this.
  7. Horkn

Horkn

I'd just use this plain steel. Cut and or shape it to fit. Paint it with high temp stove paint for good measure. Then stuff the area above it with roxul.

ReelFaster and brenndatomu like this.
  8. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Thanks fella's prob just gonna grab some 24-26ga steel to use. I was intimidated by the whole block off plate but once I did the template and really got up in there I don't think it will be so bad.

brenndatomu likes this.
  9. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Its not that bad...kinda fiddley getting everything in there once the stove is in place...but its do-able with a little patience.

ReelFaster and FatBoy85 like this.