In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Black Locust Score Behind The Dollar General Store

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Eric Wanderweg, Dec 22, 2023.

  1. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,560
    Likes Received:
    67,839
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    I needed to get some trigger time in cutting something with my freshly resurrected 028 wood boss, so I decided to halve the elm rounds from this score. She’s a noodler!
    ADAF2D71-E4FF-4590-8F13-DD1B788883A2.jpeg 37F02ADC-ABBB-4790-A222-7F0A42F7FFED.jpeg
     
    metalcuttr, Softwood, Rich L and 10 others like this.
  2. Yawner

    Yawner

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2015
    Messages:
    2,128
    Likes Received:
    11,915
    Location:
    Louisiana
    The corp was busy back then! There were three flood control lakes built in my small town in about 1960. It used to flood a lot, it was a terrible problem. Must be in a bowl of topography.
     
  3. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,560
    Likes Received:
    67,839
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Alright, I have to share this even though it’s not firewood related. Back when I first worked this score, a coworker of mine grabbed a bunch of black locust logs for milling, with no solid plan in mind for the lumber. Fast forward over a year and a half, and it finally came to fruition. Behold, the highest BTU deck in southern New England!
    IMG_1494.jpeg
    EDIT:
    The first course of lumber in the foreground is white oak. The rest is black locust.
     
  4. theburtman

    theburtman

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2019
    Messages:
    4,140
    Likes Received:
    31,747
    Location:
    Vermont
    Very nice!
     
  5. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,560
    Likes Received:
    67,839
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    I thought so too. This is the entrance to his wood shop. Makes me want to save up to buy a sawmill someday...
     
  6. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,234
    Likes Received:
    50,438
    Location:
    Ct
    Nice. Did he varnish them?
     
  7. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,560
    Likes Received:
    67,839
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Spar urethane.
     
  8. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,234
    Likes Received:
    50,438
    Location:
    Ct
    Purty. Did he make any comments on what working with the wood is like? Personally from my little experience I find it stable but easy to split boards with fasteners. Looks like he screwed it down? And plugged?
     
  9. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,560
    Likes Received:
    67,839
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    He did note that it was hard on his sawmill blade(s). I have to imagine his planer blades too. I haven't seen it in person yet but I think you're right, he pre-drilled his holes, sunk the screw heads and plugged them afterwards.
     
  10. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,778
    Likes Received:
    215,138
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    And to think of all the lumber I've turned into firewood.

    Have yet to do anything with the BL I milled at buzz saw's in 2022. :emb: Thinking I'll make some simple stand up planters.
     
  11. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,778
    Likes Received:
    215,138
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Whats left there in terms of BL Eric? Have you gone in there lately?
     
  12. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,560
    Likes Received:
    67,839
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    I haven't snooped around there in a while. Last time I had a good look back in the spring, the homeless encampment was still in the woods, so I gave up. Unfortunate really. There was at least a couple more loads of BL from what I remember.
     
    metalcuttr, RCBS, eatonpcat and 3 others like this.
  13. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,778
    Likes Received:
    215,138
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    S'pose we could go back when the leaves drop and I could fire up the 400 with the bark box muffler. That should keep em at bay.
     
  14. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,337
    Likes Received:
    31,575
    Location:
    Over here
    Cleared em out a nice spot eh? :rofl: :lol:
     
  15. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,560
    Likes Received:
    67,839
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Thread bump. Almost 3 years after working here with buZZsaw BRAD, and this spot is still producing. This past weekend's prolonged rain event caused one of the black locust trees on the edge of the parking lot to break apart and hit the asphalt. It was plastered with an untold amount of bittersweet vines but better than poison ivy, as Brad pointed out. I PM'd Brad asking if he wanted it, as I've been too busy around the house to hoard more firewood. He indeed was interested (big surprise Mr. Locust King himself wants more locust!) so I talked to the owner of the property and was granted permission to cut up and remove said tree. Brad came up this morning to work the score. Unfortunately I didn't have much time to either stuporvise or hang out, but we did end up having a short BS session together.

    Pictures from the day it came down:
    blowdown1.jpg
    blowdown2.jpg

    Some of Brad's handiwork working on what he was keeping from the top:
    bl1.jpg
    bl2.jpg
    brad.jpg

    On Labor Day I went and picked up a new used truck that belonged to my late mother in law that passed at the end of July. I told myself (and my wife) that I'm always going to baby this thing and keep the mileage low.
    truck.jpg

    That doesn't mean that it's not a truck, and won't be used as such :) This is the first wood that I've moved with it. In true Brad fashion, he showed up bearing gifts. Some smoked cheese and.... this hophornbeam. :thumbs: I never scored any before myself, and seldom see them out in the wild. Thanks again Brad :handshake:
    truck2.jpg
    My 15 year old lucked out today and had a last minute day off from school due to a mechanical issue at the tech school he's enrolled at. He tagged along for the ride. That's my newly resurrected Poulan top handle on the tailgate. I made a couple small cuts with it, but still need to tweak the high jet a tad. It was running pretty fat up top.
     
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2026 at 4:37 PM
  16. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,560
    Likes Received:
    67,839
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
  17. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,778
    Likes Received:
    215,138
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Thanks for posting the pic.

    An embarrassing amount of room left there! :emb:

    I had unloaded the uncut limb wood when I realized I could use my phone and send you the pic.

    Had I got the rest of the trunk it would've made a full load.
     
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2026 at 12:31 AM