In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Black Locust Questions & Potential Score.

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by buZZsaw BRAD, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Stoveshamster

Stoveshamster

Most of the guys I know hoard from the Southern State. The amount of oak, cherry and Locust there lying on the ground is quite remarkable

2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I cut one log today that was barkless, dry and above ground. Chips were a different color...tannish brown. The rest were barked and/or sitting on grade almost submersed in composting vegetation. I wasnt sure if it was even locust but was right there.

3. B.Brown

B.Brown

if its locus, get as much as you can, when you can, for as long as you can!! Super wood, great p0sts, and it does burn hot. It does build creosote though, watch the chimney.

4. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I hit the score today for about 45 minutes to start and get my hoarding "fix". There was a couple log sections that were on the ground barely visible. I hacked away, then used the machete and pickeroon to pull them out of the prickers/vegetation and found several others barely visible. Another trunk i uncovered and bucked a few rounds off. A couple were almost buried but still good. I cant belive im digging logs out of compost and the wood is solid. I didnt even touch the main tree. IMG_1733.JPG IMG_1734.JPG IMG_1735.JPG
    These trees were felled by the May 2018 tornado. Bark still partly hung on on this piece. The rest of the stuff was like picking up banana peels after i pulled the bark off which was my only gripe. Do you guys let the rain wash them off or deal with it? I was dropping them on the pavement yesterday to knock the schmutz off. Im tempted to debark what i can and come back a in couple days IMG_1732.JPG the worst one for decay. It may have been there longer than others but i have no way of knowing.
    IMG_1738.JPG
    todays load. More nuggets as i bucked mostly precut logs. The rest should be consistent lengths. IMG_1736.JPG IMG_1737.JPG

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  5. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

Nuggets like that are great for packing the stove before bed when it gets real cold... if it ever gets cold again? Where did winter go?

6. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Im the opposite. Ill use nuggets for "supervised" burns and splits for extended as they are easier to pack. Nuggets are SS fodder too, but locust maybe not.
    You're not kidding about where is Winter? Some snow forecast for late Saturday here changing to rain with some Winter like temps coming. I just want some cold days.

7. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

I plan to let a few pieces of my BL haul sit by the stove for a few days. Hoping the surface wet dries off.

8. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

are you trying to burn some of the skinnies? Some of the stuff you got seemed nice and dry already. Mine was buried and wet. One log was above grade and the chips were brown rather than green which is a good sign from what i learned yesterday.

9. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

I split some of the barkless pieces and the MM indicated 25% . Most of it went on a rack to dry for a year or so.

I then split some of the driest I could find. Upper teens on the MM. The splits have been in the sun several hours. I'll put them by the stove for a few days. Then, toss a piece in and see what happens. If it sizzles, then I'll give it more time. If it burns, then it's good to have options.

10. Woody Stover

Woody Stover

The thin sapwood might retain a little moisture but that should burn off pretty quick. As long as you don't see much water coming out the ends of the splits, it should be OK..

11. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

I have been cracking open (splitting in half) the smaller rounds just so they’d have the chance to dry out better. My score was green so none of the bark was falling off. Do you really think it is a good idea to leave some smaller rounds round so they burn longer?

Attached Files:

12. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

In your case cut green with bark on okay to half. Anything over 4" i split in half for the most part. Rounds are better for extended burns. Me its mostly a lifelong habit of my split size. Not a bad idea to leave a few "in the round" IMO/IME

13. Woody Stover

Woody Stover

If I have some smaller ones but want them to get dry as soon as the splits, I sometimes will just crack them open at one end to get some air in there, but not split it all the way in half.

14. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Hit the score again yesterday. From now on ant follow ups will be in my LOCUST Quest! thread. One moe question to any reading this.

Will you seperate green fresh cut locust from any standing dead/long blowover wood? Or will you mix and season them together?

15. farmer steve

farmer steve

I always sort and seperate.

16. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

even if the dead/fallen stuff is wet? The four areas ill be working the wood is all blow over from the May 2018 tornado here. Some is ground contact. Some is elevated with bark on yet.

17. farmer steve

farmer steve

Yes. CSS with a top cover and it will dry out a lot faster than green. If the elevated stuff is dead the bark will more than likely come off when you cut it.

18. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

If green, then I'll stack with other wood, that has similar drying times.

19. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Thanks. One other question farmer steve . Cut about half a PU full of the BL today (adding to my thread shortly). I know it dulls chains fast but does it cause them to stretch as well? I brought the saw in tonight and sharpened it. Notice it had some sag and i tightened it up. Metal was cold too.

Midwinter and farmer steve like this.
  20. farmer steve

farmer steve

I don't think i ever noticed it being any different than any other wood. My only thought is that the chain might stretch due to more heat from cutting that dang hard locust. What brand chain?