In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Black Locust or Honey Lucust?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by bjkats, Aug 17, 2022.

  1. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,560
    Location:
    US
    I’ll say it again… dead, down, barkless, and aged (semi petrified) it’s pretty much unbeatable.
    Fresh(er) cut/felled, bark on… yep, I agree with you, not as impressive- unless you can season it for 20+ years!
     
  2. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,753
    Likes Received:
    214,938
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    I my 3 years experience with locust mania i agree. That long down stuff is rock hard.
     
  3. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,173
    Likes Received:
    166,456
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    I like Honey locust a lot, but you really need to mix it in with other types of wood to keep it happy in the stove. It needs 3 years to season, which is another thing.
     
  4. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    Yes I was and for reference 2 different stoves one being an insert. The bark is something else I find it amazing how the bark was giving off heat as well. Especially the thick stuff that would come off as chaff in the splitting. Rot is minimal but the 3 trees that I've had experience with is one had rotted but fell over on a neighbors fence. Termites were present.. The next one was pulpy in areas but the tree was so large that it sprouted at its inception and the two trees in a spot were just vying for the main spot so it had rot spots but the rest of the tree was just perfect. The last had rot in places but a lot of the tops were dead and had some of the best firewood to date. I know oak is great it just doesn't grow around me much unless someone planted it as a yard tree. Closest is Oregon white oak.
    Yep some of the best wood I've burned was this dead tipped BL that a neighbor had. Whew. Hard to beat such a good thing.
     
    Horkn, Eric VW, theburtman and 2 others like this.