In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

BIG walnut

Discussion in 'The Sawyer Room' started by davidlandon, Apr 12, 2017.

1. davidlandon

davidlandon

Over 4' diameter (quite large for Arkansas). The grand champion walnut of Arkansas (documented) has less than a 3' diameter. This does have barb wire about 2' up on the high side and yes I see the bad area on it as well. I don't think this ole girl has much life left in her. Can a value even be placed on this? I know my lil 290 ain't gonna knock her down. Should I just leave it be or try to get a lil money out of it? Judging from the answers I've received on previous valuations, I'm guessing someone will say $1.25 plus or minus a quarter.

Attached Files:

2. thistle

thistle

3. Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit

Can an 8' bolt be cut above the wire but short of all the limbs?

If not, I would say that tree doesn't have a lot of value. Makes me wonder what the center will look like.

4. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

blacksmith and davidlandon like this.
  5. davidlandon

davidlandon

Yep that's right where I found that info. Apparently they go by "bigness index" or something, all based on DBH, crown spread and height. I need to figure out how to measure spread and height accurately.

blacksmith and Shawn Curry like this.
  6. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

7. Boomstick

Boomstick Banned

Wow a tree worth discussing!

If it's a champion I'd get it on the registry! Maybe for a few years with it on the registry.
    You might get offers because of it.....

As far as value......Who knows! It's out of my league!
    I personally think it's worth time and the money!

What I would do........ I'd have or call around for a sawer or several of them to look at it.
    I'd look up specialty sawers that deal with slabs and tell them you have a champion walnut!

They may offer cash to do all the work. Then if you sell it on the stump if it's center rotted badly it's their gamble.
    The issue would be finding someone to have the capacity to mill 4+feet diameter. The person who has the capability would probably be interested!

There is decent money in a species like that with that diameter.
    With slabs money is all about size. Clarity doesn't matter unless it's for wood working lumber Which are generally smaller trees.
    For stuff that size, to find the money is a challenge but I think would be worth the time.

I would think it would be a tree for slabs.
    It's hard to sell big money slabs!
    It needs to be dried and kiln dried correctly!
    You could air dry it...
    If I could get at least 4, eight foot 2.5 inch slabs out of it(the possible non fence side), IF I had the right buyer... could be worth at least a thousand a slab in the right market.

Not to get you excited but the ridiculous stuff you see priced high is what that tree are made of.(possibly minus the metal in it and center rot....don't know till you open it)
    It can take years to sell, the right seller location your own connections marketing etc.

Anybody that comes to look at it will know more than me!

With the 290 I've cut trees that big! with the 290 you wouldn't be bucking the large part anyway.
    But I wouldn't cut it until you are ready to sell.
    If it's hollow it's not worth much.

8. RCBS

RCBS

Wow! What a Wolf Tree! I vote leave it.

blacksmith and davidlandon like this.
  9. davidlandon

davidlandon

I contacted the state forester and they're gonna come out and measure it within a few weeks. If it's turns out to be a champion, it'll stay for awhile I reckon.

10. Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit

Every time I see a black walnut thread, I think of these:

Flamestead, walt, blacksmith and 5 others like this.
  11. thistle

thistle

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

12. Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit

The walnut is on the right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

blacksmith, milleo, papadave and 2 others like this.
  13. bocefus78

bocefus78

My forester told me that if you put a tree on our states list, it opens your property to the public to view it. Just something to consider or at least ask about.

14. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I'm not sure what to think! I see big walnut, I right away think of all the beautiful lumber that could be. But an old girl like that, if it's in great health, I'd leave alone and enjoy its presence. If it were not 100%, I'd consider harvest. That burly spot :eek:

blacksmith and Shawn Curry like this.
  15. fuelrod

fuelrod

blacksmith and Oldman47 like this.
  16. Shawn Curry

Shawn Curry

There used to be a black walnut about that size in my sister's yard. They tried to sell it to a local Amish fellow with a mill but he didn't want it. He said if anyone ever cut it down he might be interested in the main leader branch but that was it. The tree was a spittin' image of yours - it had also taken a lightning hit or two (your first pic) and honey bees had taken up residence in the void (your third pic).

Anyway lucky for me they didn't sell it. So most of what's left of it is in my garage. My dad has some in his barn too including a 36" burl.

It's going to be tricky getting a good price, or even anyone to buy it standing at all. Anyone in the business of sawyering is going to see those flaws and want to give you a much lower price. If you wanted to extract the most value, you'll have to saw it yourself. And believe you me, you're looking at a chit ton of backbreaking labor.

Fair warning though - if you do cut it up yourself you'll never want to sell it. So if you want some ideas of what to make from it, see "George Nakashima".

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  17. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Well, maybe we ought to get you a horseless carriage first. Then once your used to not looking at the back side of a horse while cruising through town, we can start to talk smart phone. Nothing better than being able to google, "I just got laid out by my chainsaw when a spring pole got me, I'm gushing blood out of my head, now what do I do?" Hopefully you have better than 3G speed out there otherwise you might be standing there waiting for an answer for a while...;)

blacksmith likes this.
  18. davidlandon

davidlandon

State Forester came out and measured it a few weeks ago. It is the new Arkansas state champion (documented). Not gonna be cut down anytime soon

19. DNH

DNH

Congratulations! Let us know the measurements when you can.