In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Bending PVC

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by jo191145, Apr 1, 2021.

1. jo191145

jo191145

Anyone have experience bending largish 3” pvc drain pipe systems with heat?
    Have a plumber doing a job on my moms house and I think it’s a bit out of their league. Not happy with how they’ve left it.
    It’s a 3” tee that creates a flange for a wall hung toilet. They assembled it out of plumb which creates a crooked flange. About 1/4” out of plumb across the face of the flange. On a wall hung I find this unacceptable. It’s possible you’ll get a good seal but a gamble. Lose that gamble and I’ll have to cut open the wall later and fix it.

so I know the melting point is 180-200F depending on the internet source. Heat gun is commonly used. Toying with the idea of a block heater pad. Wrap it around and plug it in would be nice and easy. Only source I could find describing temp of one was 184F. Sounds perfect.
    Or a heat gun.
    Just wondering if anyone here has tried it on larger more complex shapes than a straight pipe? Would love to hear your tales of woe or success.

Guess I should start conducting my own experiments before tackling the pipe tree.

T.Jeff Veal and farmer steve like this.
  2. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Got any pics?

T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  3. jo191145

jo191145

Oddly enough no I don’t. Snapped a few a couple days ago just to document their mess up but it’s not on my phone.
    I’ll get some tomorrow.

4. PA Mountain Man

PA Mountain Man

I would use a sawzall.:whistle:

5. jo191145

jo191145

Chainsaw may make a better statement.

MikeInMa and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  6. jo191145

jo191145

First pic shows out of plumb. There is a PVC flange sleeve that will slide into that.

second pic shows part of the carrier assembly. The cast iron ring and bracket the plumbers broke. Started the process of making a new one today. Busy day. Insulation guys arrived and I taught my mom some blacksmithing. Taught myself too :) Had to make a ring of steel as the first step in fixing the carrier.
    Took me months to find that old new stock carrier. Wasnt enthralled with the idea of trying to find a second. Nationwide internet shopping searches during covid is a real mess. That’s why I’m fixing it instead of just buying a replacement.

These plumbers really dropped the ball this day. Broke the carrier. Had wrong hole saw so they just hacked out the sill plate with a sawzall. Out of plumb tee. And they tried to leave that day as finished with a huge water leak. I was so pizzed I had to leave the house and cool off.
    This is one of the reasons I normally do everything myself.
    Meant to snap some pics of the trunk line in the basement. Forgot. Not the easiest conglomeration of odd degreed elbows and angles to melt into a different position. Thankfully it’s not much movement required.

Attached Files:

T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  7. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

How does it attach? Wax ring connection to the pvc and mounting studs to the wall? If the pvc was providing some kind of support, I could see how a little upward angle would cause it to bend down with the weight of the toilet. But I wouldn’t think you would want plumbing to support the toilet. Hang in there. Good that you are making sure things are getting done correctly. Fewer problems later.

jo191145 and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  8. Redfin

Redfin

What does under floor connect look like?

jo191145 and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  9. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Ive bent straight sections, but not fittings.

jtstromsburg and jo191145 like this.
  10. jo191145

jo191145

https://www.zurn.com/media-library/web_documents/pdfs/specsheets/63136-pdf

not wax but a foam type ring. In days of old they would be Felt.

Best I can tell this carrier is a replacement part for 1950- 1960’s residential wall hung toilets. Of course no one ever breaks a carrier so manufacturing and sales are limited.
    Mom wanted a wall hung. She also wanted an exterior tank not in the wall. Plumbing salesperson got her two 1960’s replacement toilets but no carrier. No return on special ordered toilets.
    Told me on the phone they don’t need a carrier, just bolt it to the studs LOL. That of course is utter nonsense. No wall hung toilet has ever just been bolted to studs. The carrier not only holds the toilet but must hold the pipe and gasket firmly to the toilet.
    So through many trials and tribulations I found this carrier.
    That was just the beginning of my headaches. Carrier is designed for 2x6 wall. But also designed for old black pipe straight tees which at the time did not have the small directional radius PVC has today. Hence new are larger and I’ll need to furr that wall out more.
    The fit is pretty specific. Not much room for error. Having the flange angled like that will make a real hit or miss installation.
    Bottom line is I no longer trust these plumbers to get it right the first time. It’s been hacked enough.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    T.Jeff Veal and stuckinthemuck like this.
  11. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Thanks for the explanation and good luck!!

T.Jeff Veal and jo191145 like this.