In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Been waiting for better weather to do this!

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Haftacut, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Haftacut

Haftacut

Figured I’d better do this before the darn thing fell out from under the truck! Gonna order the new one tonight. Came off better than I thought it would. CA3CEBAB-7A8B-4627-97BF-B089DF3EFE7A.jpeg C5585CBC-7DD6-4CBA-A948-A9FDE77C1323.jpeg

2. Gavorosalini

Gavorosalini

Specific culprit or years of use?

3. PlumbSplitter

PlumbSplitter

I wonder how many people wait until the hitch AND the trailer are skidding to a stop behind the truck.

4. Haftacut

Haftacut

I probably wasn’t too far from it but didn’t want to be “that guy”:rofl: :lol:

5. Haftacut

Haftacut

Opposite order, but yes!:rofl: :lol: I noticed with full loads that it appeared my hitch was “bending” down, butt then returning to its original position when empty. Upon inspection, I found the weld had nearly failed at the end of the square tubing where it connects to the truck frame. I immediately stopped pulling anything and waited for better weather. Since I noticed it, I towed my trailer empty twice and my splitter today. I was so nervous after towing the splitter, that I removed the hitch and ordered a new one when I got home. Not worth it! Already pushed my luck too much:rofl: :lol:

6. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Yikes ,

Yeah it was time !!

7. Smaug

Smaug

I hate rust. I work on vehicles for a living, and having rust makes everything 10 times harder.
    Bolts sieze, parts break, and it always seems to fall directly into my eyes and ears. You can't even cut it out with a torch.
    Whoever designed this physical universe has a real strange sense of humor.

8. Haftacut

Haftacut

It sure does make it harder:headbang: Got the new receiver installed yesterday between shifts and got the old hitch cut out of the old reciever this evening and cleaned up with a wire wheel before spraying a coat of primer and then paint on it. Should be ready to go in the morning! Everything went together surprisingly well except for one of the top bumper bolts went in pretty hard. I got it flush with the bumper but was too nervous to torque it to spec. Didn’t want to break it off. Figured there’s 7 other bolts holding the bumper on and I had no trouble with them torquing down:whistle::yes: Glad it’s done now! AAFD0FD3-C4BE-4373-B3B6-0067C9D86617.jpeg B7F4BD51-AA8F-4936-9095-B53AEAA5B078.jpeg ACEDA174-CF41-4672-BB0B-BF6FD10BEDC4.jpeg

9. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Michigan.
    Agree with the above. Here rust condemns more vehicles than mechanical failure.