In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Bedding a threshold to concrete floor.

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by GHinNH, Dec 23, 2020.

1. GHinNH

GHinNH

Lets see if I can explain this so it's understandable...

Two rooms in the basement with a 6' wide opening joining them. One room has ceramic tile, the other has flagstone. Between the two floors is 4" of bare concrete.
    So... I got a piece of oak and ran it through my table saw to form a "T" of different depth to overlap the floor thickness differences, sank some 1/4 drop in anchors and used brass flat heads countersunk in the wood.

So far so good...except... there is still a uneven gap along the center where the concrete is and I know repeated stepping will eventually crack my stained and poly'd work.

So the question is what can I use to bed it to the concrete? I was thinking squirt something down, cover with plastic then screw the threshold back down, let it harden and then remove the plastic. That way it will still be removable so I can refinish it when necessary. Pardon for the appearance of the stone and tile, the previous owner never took care of them and I still need to strip and seal them... 20201223_123526.jpg

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    metalcuttr likes this.
  2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Groute...and use wax paper for the release film...

3. PA Mountain Man

PA Mountain Man

I have the same detail between my kitchen and great room. Tile to carpet. Since you did such a good job with yours, any chance you could do mine? The piece of red oak is laying behind the furniture waiting to be installed for a couple years now. Gotta keep a few things on the honey do list or it gets filled up again!
    Good idea with the plastic. Construction adhesive will work. Tape the tile on both sides for when it oozes.

metalcuttr likes this.
  4. GHinNH

GHinNH

We're all neighbors in a sense, but that commute is a bit much with the holiday traffic. I was thinking construction adhesive myself, tape on the floor along the edge is a good idea, glad I thought of it.

metalcuttr likes this.
  5. GHinNH

GHinNH

Didn't cross my mind for some reason, I might even have some in the garage.

metalcuttr and brenndatomu like this.