In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Battle of the firewoods- American Beech vs Black Birch

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by sirbuildalot, Oct 6, 2020.

?

American Beech vs Black Birch

Poll closed Oct 13, 2020.
  1. American Beech

61.3%
  2. Black Birch

38.7%
  1. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Earlier this summer I worked this score on a highway on-ramp that had dozens of these Black Birch trees cut and on the ground. I wish I saw it before the state clear cut them all because from what I could tell, it's almost the only thing that was growing there. Even buZZsaw BRAD had a go at it here and grabbed a load. HIGHWAY_ROBBERY.JPG

Chvymn99, Horkn and brenndatomu like this.
  2. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I’d take some BB pics but I don’t want to influence the voters.......or do I. Bwhahaha

Horkn and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  3. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I s
    I still have to go back for more. Have you checked the right side of that on ramp to see if the wood is still there Eric? There was chestnut oak too. I took the birch on the left side. Ive never scored any CO and cut very little in my hoarding career.

Horkn likes this.
  4. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

No influence. Let voters decide. Ill post the BB pics! From the Eric Schamell on ramp referral.
    Some yellow birch mixed in. BB rare scrounge for me. Its around, but only time i see it roadside is along interstates. IMG_2802.JPG

5. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

It's still there, last time I checked was about 3 weeks ago. There is probably close to a full load there, especially if you take the Chestnut Oak too. I thought there's Sassafras as well.... There were 2 smaller White Oak logs wayyyyyy down the hill in the poison ivy on the right side but I took them. Sorry, I know how much you like watching your Oak dry :rofl: :lol:

Horkn likes this.
  6. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

To be fair and unbiased i have to post beech pics too! IMG_2761.JPG

MikeInMa, NortheastAl, Horkn and 2 others like this.
  7. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Truly the two are pretty comparable. Hence why I grouped them together in round 1. Both have tight, thin bark that holds in moisture causing the wood to rot from the inside. Both are pretty high BTU wood, both season relatively fast. Both leave less mess in the stove than other hardwoods. Either one is a great choice. Seems most haven’t experienced one of the two. Not many have both readily accessible.

NortheastAl, Horkn and brenndatomu like this.
  8. Fanatical1

Fanatical1

I have an abundance of both in my woods in southern Ohio... As far as firewood, they are both similar in BTU's..

I picked Beech because it's a cleaner wood without all the bark mess. I also find Black birch to be more prone to rotting especially in rounds with the bark on, but also split it won't last as long as Beech. I have a campfire stack in the woods that contains both and the Birch doesn't last over time like the Beech. I have another friend who burns wood, that says Beech is his favorite firewood. I would take either as excellent firewood.

My forester who visits once every 10 years or so, dislikes Beech so much he tells me to girdle all of them. When asked why he said because they are prone to insect damage and rarely make good saw logs when they get to that size. That's not to say black birch makes better saw logs, but this guy definately found too many hollowed out Beech trees in his career and was biased.

Here's a big black birch with a nice burl I'm keeping my eye on... No pics of any Beech trees though.

image.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    Chvymn99, jrider, NortheastAl and 3 others like this.
  9. JCMC

JCMC

I picked Beech as it is a much cleaner wood. Black Birch would also be welcome in my in my stacks.

10. Bill2

Bill2

Both are excellent firewood. Black birch is the only Birch that you cannot peel the bark off. BUT. I'd take Beech any day over Black Birch. Super fast drying(one season) and very clean-no mess in the house if you have your stove in a living area.

Fanatical1, NortheastAl and Horkn like this.
  11. jo191145

jo191145

I’ll have to go with BB. Never had any beech yet.
    0D106C05-C6A0-4891-A411-A384B20D22D8.jpeg

12. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

IME all birch rots if not split! Beech Rots inside out or hollow .. so a tie?

brenndatomu and NortheastAl like this.
  13. Horkn

Horkn

More BTU's with beech. Won and done.

brenndatomu and NortheastAl like this.
  14. Horkn

Horkn

It all sounds like a great plan until it runs into Shagbark hickory. Absolute best firewood there is. No question.

15. Horkn

Horkn

Yep. BTU is the tie breaker.

NortheastAl likes this.
  16. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I haven’t burned hickory in the stove yet. I have a bit of it that came down in August so I don’t anticipate burning any for a couple more years. Would you take Hickory over Locust? Not too long ago brenndatomu mentioned that although he thought BL was good, he was far more impressed with Hickory. I’m starting to wonder if Hickory is the FHC’s best kept secret... Is all this hype about Locust is just that? Hype?!?!

17. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

I’ve never personally laid eyes on either of those trees.

Chvymn99, brenndatomu and NortheastAl like this.
  18. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

We’ve got a fair amount of shagbark hickory around here, but it seems it’s all on county land. I’ve never even got a piece from the guy I buy wood from when I’m low. I’ve gotten Beech before and I’ve rarely seen a Beech tree here. Go figure?

brenndatomu and Horkn like this.
  19. Horkn

Horkn

I'd take shagbark hickory over BL any day. It's really the best firewood there is. It even smells great and can be used in a smoker too. There's some low btu scales that are out there, but most have it around 28 mbtu a cord. Outside of Osage and madrone, there's really no higher btu wood in America. It's not all about BTU's though.

20. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

I voted for black birch, because I can cut some, now and then. I've never seen beech growing where I cut. I did get some beech a few years ago, in a load of logs I bought, to get me on the 3ry plan. It burned just fine.