In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Bar Oil Shortage?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by buZZsaw BRAD, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Rush Battle

Rush Battle

I went down the rabbit hole on 2 stroke ope oil. I ended up with Red Armor, but I’m not convinced it’s the best and it’s super pricey. I’ll use this gallon and then see what I think I guess. Thanks again!

Dumf, Screwloose, Chaz and 4 others like this.
  2. dahmer

dahmer

I’ve been using Red Armor the last couple years and have no complaints. I run it at 40:1 and buy it by the multi pack.

3. dahmer

dahmer

Also concerning Rural King. Wife and I made a run today and went to pick up another gallon of bar oil, stash was down to 10 gallons. Grabbed a gallon, shelf was full. Noticed a display of Sunoco canned fuel again but this stuff was 40:1. Picked up a “gallon” can, 110 oz. Got to check out and it was $9.98. Not sure if it was a special or priced wrong but I’ll get more just to have.

4. chainsawsoldier

chainsawsoldier

I saw this thread and checked on how much oil I had left, I only have 1 gallon on the shelf, and the jug on the truck is almost empty. According to the website, all TSC’s within 60 miles are sold out. At least Menards has some in stock, but I am waiting to stock up until it’s on sale again.
    I also keep a couple cans of the canned gas on hand just in case it’s needed, as I’ve ran out before when the gas station was shut down.

5. Skier76

Skier76

I found some at Wal-Mart in Hinsdale NH a few days ago. Black Max, had a picture of a bear on it. Brand I've never used, but oil is oil! I think it was around $10 for a gallon.

6. jrider

jrider

Glad I got 6 gallons when I did. Went through the first gallon this week

7. Rush Battle

Rush Battle

I plan to run it at 40:1 as well. Not liking the idea of 50-100:1 at all.

8. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Seems like a pretty good one, based on the below statement! :yes:

9. Rush Battle

Rush Battle

I went over and lurked through much of that thread. Seems like amsoil dominator was really good but they say it doesn’t prevent corrosion much at all, so seems pretty bad to me?

10. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I was referring to the RA that you bought...came in second, so obviously pretty good stuff...probably better than the Yamalube S that I have been running for years (with zero issues)...but I have that about used up now, so might need to find another jug of whatever I decide to use next...might come down to whatever quality grade oil that I can find a good sale on :D

11. huskihl

huskihl

The guy doing the testing was hung up on that also. So he dunked a few crankshafts in different brands of oil and put them in open ziplock bags in his polebarn. It’s been a few months and no rust yet.

12. Rush Battle

Rush Battle

I knew what you were saying, you always make great points! I should have been more clear, but I was just commenting on the first in the list just for interest sake. Hope you can find a fantastic deal on some good oil!

13. Rush Battle

Rush Battle

Interesting! You don't recommend lean ratios even with the fancy oils, if I remember correctly?

14. huskihl

huskihl

Not at all, but to each his own. For the most part, the average firewood cutter won’t put enough hours on a saw for it to be an issue. It’s the tree guys and firewood sellers who usually see the failures. Loggers run them over with the skidder long before bearings fail

15. Screwloose

Screwloose

Glad to hear Red armor is high on the list. Been using it at 40:1 for a while now. For what it's worth my son straight gassed my echo hedge clipper last year. It was totally run dry when he filled it and he did over 100' of cutting with no oil. It didn't get stuck, sound bad or show any issues whatsoever. Runs like a top this year too.

M2theB, dahmer, Chaz and 4 others like this.
  16. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

Just got home from North Platte, no bar oil shortages there. Picked up 2 gallons of “farm king” brand at Bomgaars @$6.99 ea. Another farm store had plenty, as did menards

17. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

HD had bar oil yesterday. $10/gal.

18. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Tractor supply today
    20200723_101933.jpg

19. MAF143

MAF143

I picked up a gallon at Menards for $6.99 the other day with the 11% off. If TSC doesn't have the 2 for 12 here, I'll stop at Menards again for some more. Everywhere else I've seen around here was close to $10 or higher.

Thanks for the tip TurboDiesel , I don't get to our local TSC very often anymore.

20. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

I never see different weights summer/ winter around here. Except once and it was the high dollar Stihl stuff. Around here it’s just bar oil