In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Backyard Shed - buy or build?

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Born2Burn, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Born2Burn

Born2Burn

Looking to buy a shed for general yard tool, mower, gardening, and splitter storage so that the attached garage has more room. Same old story right?

I have been planning on a 12x14 shed for some time. I have a level stone pad in place and electric nearby for lighting. Only trouble is I’m wondering if it’s cheaper to buy or build one?

Now a days it’s seems like these shed sales lots are everywhere. Some are junk (particle board studs......really?) but I have priced out some quality built ones and it seems like I’m about 4K delivered and done for the size I’m after.

I definitely have the tools and the know how to build one myself but as always time is a factor. I know myself and I’m slow..... probably have at least 2-3 weekend invested in just the construction not to mention securing materials, wiring, and finish work.

I can only assume it is cheaper to buy the materials and self construct than to have one prebuilt and shipped in. Question is how much cheaper? Has anyone done this themselves? Point is time is valuable. If I’m only saving $500 at the end of the job, I’d rather just have it shipped in. Now if I can save $2000, it’s a no brainer to me and I’d gladly take on the task.

Thoughts?

P.S. - wife is on board with either. She wants somewhere to store her gardening tools and supplies without me shoving them out of the way all the time to work on the log splitter!

eatonpcat, T.Jeff Veal, mat60 and 7 others like this.
  2. yooperdave

yooperdave

Back in 99', I built a 12 X 16 for right around 700-800 bucks. That included everything....paint, nails, roofing etc. It saved over a pre-built at the time (of course) but I just don't remember know much the difference was.

I am currently in the same boat now. I need another storage shed. Have to replace a small tin shed.... 4 X 8 I think. The smallest I have found (pre-built) is a 8 X 8. That size is fetching right around 800 and I'm not sure about it having a floor!

Another thing about the pre-built line, I have to make sure that it is a sturdy structure......sturdy enough to handle the snow load during winter months here.

Building it myself is looking a little better all the time.

mat60, Eric VW, Chvymn99 and 4 others like this.
  3. Unclefish

Unclefish

I enjoy building stuff. Draw it out figure out your material list and price it out. It's a shed doesn't have to be perfect. Always good to figure it yourself . You might have stuff there you can use up. Since this while covid thing. I have dug up more stuff to use up and have the time to actually find stuff in garage cellar floating around. Feels good to use it up . Actually even found stuff that I have bought multiple times afterwards and had it the whole time .

mat60, Sirchopsalot, Eric VW and 7 others like this.
  4. cnice_37

cnice_37

I built both of mine. No way I could have gotten what I did without paying closer to triple.

I get lots of compliments on them, so even though it took a while (I also work slow and on weekends) it was worth it in the end.

mat60, basod, Horkn and 8 others like this.
  5. don2222

don2222

Hello
    Buy is cheap & Easy, building can be fun, creative and a much better product in the end.
    My 24 x 42 house was built on cinder blocks 58 years ago. In my experience it all depends what the blocks are sitting on. My house of course has a cement footing a little ove 2 feet below the ground. In the case of my 10x10 shed, I dug 2 foot holes and filled them with 3/4” stone with a concrete block on top in each of the 4 corners and in the middle of each side. The floor using 2x8s was built on top of them with a 4’ wide heavy duty metal utility door on hinges that still opens and closes fine after 7 years!
    Also during the build we did a 1/2” overlap of the roof with the rake boards to tuck in some rope light for a nice look at night!! Lol
    I installed 2 three way switches one in the shed and one in the house but then put a motion detector on the shed for convenience. Then put A ring camera on the corner for a good backyard view.
    The window is not a shed window but a normal size double pane we got at the Habitat homes restore for very cheap price for that more homy look!!
    I did run cable and telephone wires along side the electrical so yes a Phone and cable TV and installed a pellet stove with remote t-stat so it will not be cold when going out there in the winter.
    The walls and roof are insulated and paneling and shelving up on the wall. Even put rigid foam board under the plywood floor so our feet would not be too cold in the winter.
    Also we used an LVL in the roof to avoid cumbersome collar ties so the loft is much more roomy. :—)
    The LVL is supported with an extra 2x4 at each end that goes down to a cement block and 2 foot deep holes filled with 3/4 stone.
    Just some tips and tricks. Good Luck with your build. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    mat60, basod, B.Brown and 5 others like this.
  6. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Nice Shed Don...That Amerigas tank makes me cringe, Bunch of crooks!!

B.Brown, mat60, Eric VW and 4 others like this.
  7. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

You gotta build it yourself! Ya you can get a shed delivered but there’s no satisfaction in that. Put on your nail apron and build that friggin shed!

8. Semipro

Semipro

Regardless of whether you build or buy, consider making it bigger than you think you'll need.
    Take advantage of the economy of scaling up and you won't regret it later.

I hear what you're saying about a lack of time and I would usually suggest you build.
    That said, I've seen some very nice portable sheds built and delivered for competitive prices. In our area, it tends to be Amish builders.

mat60, Eric VW, Born2Burn and 5 others like this.
  9. don2222

don2222

The route I took was:
    I dug the holes and dug out the grass and tree routes.
    Also put down weed block and 3/4” stones in the 8 holes and around the block footings leveling the footings with a water level.
    If I did it do that no one else would!
    Then had a carpenter build the shed with the materials I bought and delivered. Then I did all the finish work and dug the trench and put the wires in.
    I also painted the shed installed all the lights, electrical panel (30 amp) and outlets.
    If you oversea the project you can do it the way you want. :)

mat60, Eric VW, Chaz and 1 other person like this.
  10. justdraftn

justdraftn

Looks like at Lowes today you can get a crappy metal 10x12 shed for $700.
    The fancy model has two windows and double sliding doors. That's about it.
    $3300.

I built my 10 x 12 shed for $1200. It has some "extras" ....NO other shed has.
    For instance, custom cedar siding. Off set roof line. Scalloped fascia trim.
    IMG_5647.JPG

A cantilevered, covered porch w/ swing chairs.
    Great place to sit a spell and watch the garden grow on a hot day. Always in the shade.
    IMG_3827.JPG

A covered loading deck w/double doors.
    IMG_3828 (2).JPG
    A 9 panel glass entry door. Great find at second hand store.
    IMG_5520 (2).JPG
    On sale....how could I pass it up?
    IMG_5446 (2).JPG
    Floating storage shelves.
    IMG_5663.JPG
    Satisfaction of doing it myself.
    Good luck!

eatonpcat, mat60, fuelrod and 12 others like this.
  11. Buzz Benton

Buzz Benton

Start with the local code. Will you need a building permit and inspections for 12X14??? Can you get one that size delivered? Really, I'd start there and do some research at the county or city level.

mat60, basod, Eric VW and 5 others like this.
  12. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

That’s very nice!

13. don2222

don2222

Your shed is Beautiful And so nice & cozy!
    Your Hired!

14. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

I always built because prebuilt doors are shorter than I am tall!

15. don2222

don2222

Good point - All the pre built sheds around here are 5 feet high with Cheap crap a$$ doors to meet all the building codes in every single town. Many towns have that Hight code so people do not build houses or sheds to rent and live in if they get a permit for a shed. When we built this shed with a standard Hight 48x80” inch Door we got it inspected and approved as a shed By the building inspector!

16. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

don2222 they can only be so high and go on trailers on roads. I like steep roofs so I don’t have to shovel them. Why trailers have low sloped roofs shorter doors so the can go down road.

mat60, basod, Eric VW and 3 others like this.
  17. don2222

don2222

Many prebuilt sheds that I have seen come with all the walls and floors prebuilt but not joined together.
    They transport standard size module homes on trailers. Do they fit Under bridges because they do not have roofs?

18. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Side walls are 7 feet high exterior doors are 74” not 80”

19. don2222

don2222

Codes may be a little different in CA
    Standard wall height is 6’4”
    Optional height is 7’4”
    Premade Shed Door height is approx 5’ or 6’ not sure exactly.
    So no standard 80” high door on many premade sheds. Remember and 80” door per code needs a proper header and top plate and it has a threshold.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  20. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Don I was referring to. Mobile homes trailers you live in