"Backyard Blacksmithing" pounding iron on the forge this evening!

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by blacksmith, Dec 18, 2016.

1. fishingpol

fishingpol

Are you looking to keep the wheel intact in case someone wants to restore it or use it as a decorative piece?

2. BrianK

BrianK

Honestly if it is wrought iron, it has a lot potential in the hands of blacksmiths who use wrought iron in ornamental or artistic works. So I was actually considering cutting it up and selling it in flat pieces to blacksmiths by the pound.

I don’t know if we’d use it for anything more than a fire pit, to be honest.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  3. fishingpol

fishingpol

Where it has damage already, I figured it was going to get cut. Nothing to lose IMO. Good luck, hope it is good material.

4. BrianK

BrianK

Ok, I have permission to cut a chunk of it and do some further investigation. And if it’s indeed decent wrought iron, I can cut it up and sell it, so let the games begin...

5. blacksmith

blacksmith

That's pretty cool tractor wheel Brian. I am sure that you can find something to make with that.

6. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

That’s cool!
    Hope it works out to be something useable. It really makes you wonder what it was on and how it got to be there? Almost seems like it was a “tire” for a wooden spoke wheel or a wheel extension for an old traction engine.

7. fishingpol

fishingpol

Trying to get the gear ready for this weekend. This is a new to me post vise from marketplace a while back. 5 1/2" wide. Probably 80 lbs + I saved two cherry trunks, with this one weighing around 140 lbs and 34" tall. The physics just dont work with so much iron hanging off the front. I could bolt 2 x 6 PT legs like an engine lift, but I dont like tripping on anything.

It needs to be portable just around the yard. I have a larger diameter cherry, but it must be over 200 lbs, add the vise and forget it. I would need a PT 8" x 8" set in the ground for best solution. Metal tripod base is out for now. The cherry looked big in the woods, but not so much here.

20210504_184545.jpg

The mounting plate tip to the back leg is 10"

20210504_190025.jpg

I might just take out the smaller vise that is 65 lbs. I dont expect to beat anything real heavy. The cherry will loose water weight over time.