In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Back to VT

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by the fuse, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Oldhippie Factory in Morrisville you can get factory seconds there with blemishes for 20% off.

2. Oldhippie

Oldhippie

I didn't know there was a Morrisville VT. But I can't remember why I thought Bennington either. Way up there near you I see. More pretty than functional from what I see with my neighbors.

Screwloose likes this.
  3. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

I learned that when I picked up my bee packages last spring. From Wikipedia.

Morristown is a town in Lamoille County, Vermont, United States. The population was 5,227 at the 2010 census. Morristown is the largest town by population in Lamoille County, and its central village of Morrisville serves as the county's main commercial center.

4. Rich L

Rich L

A hearthstone one in the basement will heat your whole house for 14 hours.

5. the fuse

the fuse

My brother's name is Roscoe so don't blame him for doing your liner. :)
    I hear you Rich. The thing is that for me and my wife, putting a beautiful stove in a place we wont be spending much time is a waste of that beauty. We look forward to sitting, on frigid nights like tomorrow, watching them gentle flames flickering.

Canadian border VT likes this.
  6. Rich L

Rich L

Ya the One has a glass front.Move it up stairs then.The only thing is if you have other heating it won't come on when the stove is heating.Thus your water pipes in the cellar will catch hell.

7. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Can you not put thermostat in basement set to 45?

8. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

I like your design...KISS. We just built similar 2 years ago, a little bigger and the South wall is a long wall, full walk out insulated basement...drive out was not going to work for our site, we heat from the basement and are committed to it so don't have a furnace, just electric baseboard for backup, way cheaper and easy enough to add central heat in the future if we need to. Ours is a quality modular and we find it sufficiently tight, we have to run a dehumidifier in the winter. We have a very similar great room, we talked about vaulted ceilings with some more South facing windows above, wish now we had, that would look awesome esp if you have a nice unobstructed South view. Good luck with the build.

9. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

DaveGunter dehumidifier or humidifier?
    Oldhippie morrisville is about 40 miles east of Burlington on route 15.

10. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

Dehumidifier, we struggle to keep humidity below 40%, otherwise we get lots of window condensation when OAT is below 20. We should probably have a HRV.

11. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Wow, when woodstove is running here we struggle with low humidity.

12. moresnow

moresnow

Most basements will stay safely above freezing for water pipes. Without aux heat. In 30 years here I have had 1 frozen supply line to my kitchen sink. It had been zero or below for a long stretch. I simply pulled that line away from touching the uninsulated outer wall at the sill plate (duh) and never had another issue. Rarely, if ever have I seen the basement temp below 50F. To bad my shower is down thereo_O

13. Rich L

Rich L

That's a thought.

Canadian border VT likes this.
  14. Rich L

Rich L

Years ago my uncle who was a plumber came by the house.Since we always had a wood stove upstairs he told me don't let those pipes in the cellar freeze up because I ain't coming by to fix 'em if they do.Put some heat down there.At the time that never occured to me.At that time our foundation was an old rock foundation in need of work which left the cellar very cold in the winter.After that tongue lashing I put a stove in the basement.

15. the fuse

the fuse

My Sister and her hubby live in southern NH. Gets pretty cold there as well. They have a small Cape and heat with wood. They put on the propane furnace in the morning sometimes if it really gets cold over night. They also have a walk out basement and never had any pipes freeze up. The temp down there doesn't get much south of 45 degrees. Most of their basement walls are below grade and most of mine will be as well. It will be poured concrete and insulated down there for sure. Our ranch will be a modular as well. We are concerned about ice damming with cathedral ceilings. I like that unheated space between the roof and our heated space. I've had a house up here with a big cathedral ceiling in the living room. Ice damming every year. What a pain that is. The house I grew up in (my brother is still living there) also has an old field stone foundation. Every fall my father would "bank" the house with hay piled against the foundation and weighted down with planks. He'd mow the back field with a scythe and one of our chores was to rake it into windrows when it was dry. And yes we did it with old wooden hay rakes. The sound of my Dad sharpening that scythe with a long stone he kept in his back pocket lives with me. Them were days.

16. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Cathedral ceilings and insulation have vastly improved since “them days”

Oldhippie and moresnow like this.
  17. moresnow

moresnow

Say you will have a steel roof? Ice damming used to suck for us here. Not so much anymore. Shingles be gone!

Oldhippie likes this.
  18. Highbeam

Highbeam

I had a hearthstone, pushed 30 cords through it, looked great but would not buy one again since it was not durable or efficient.

Buzz Benton likes this.
  19. bushpilot

bushpilot

No particular recommendation on the stove, and it sounds like you are getting good input.

But I would probably place the stove in the corner, bottom right side in your drawing. That will give a little distance between it and the kitchen, would feel more natural sitting around it, and would shorten the treck from the door to the stove for carrying in firewood. I would use the wall between the door and the stove as my indoor firewood storage.

Buzz Benton and Oldhippie like this.
  20. Rearscreen

Rearscreen

My first Hearthstone was a factory blemish and drove up from Newtown Ct to get it. My second Hearthstone stove was a Mansfield for my Southbury Ct home and I loved it. I went to buy another Mansfield after moving to Glastonbury Ct. but would not fit in the hearth. I was forced to buy a Progress Hybrid as it fit perfectly. My latest move is to Vt and I brought the PH with me. Best stove I have ever owned by far.

TBONE and Canadian border VT like this.