In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

At what age do you stop playing in the snow?

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Felter, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

Yeah, you definitely need to plan ahead with driveways. In 2015 we got 11' of snow in 3-4 weeks. Had I not started by pushing the snow as far up and away as possible, I would have been running out of room like those that didnt.

Those storms were great. The second blizzard in a week had many people giving up once the storm was over. I was pushing 3+ feet of snow in unknown driveways, and charging quite a premium. The best part were the people that kept calling back after and without asking would just pay what I charged for the blizzard.

Chvymn99, Felter, unclefess and 7 others like this.
  2. Midwinter

Midwinter

Does shoveling count as playing? Because I like shoveling. I do my real playing in the snow with my grandson. Looking forward to sledding with him this winter, at 6 he's about old enough to go down a hill on his own.

Chvymn99, Felter, unclefess and 11 others like this.
  3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Just yesterday a friend called and wanted help getting a deer out. I got onto the atv and headed out. Normally with snow it is best to have it in 4wd but I just could not keep from spinning and sliding around a bit. I'm 77 now but still get some enjoyment from the snow. I don't enjoy the cold like I used to but still like playing in the snow.

Chvymn99, Felter, unclefess and 11 others like this.
  4. Horkn

Horkn

Same here, I'll play in the snow as long as I'm alive. Whether it's on a snowmobile, an actual sled, ice fishing, playing hockey while attempting to stay upright, snowboarding, running the truck through drifts, spinning cookies on the ATV, hanging out by the stove in front of a fire... Etc.

A friend of mine's wife, who is a lawyer has told me a couple times that they know that I'll never grow up. Her husband is top level exec at a big bank. Matt and I used to camp, snowmobile, ski, boat, go out to bars, etc growing up as young adults. He doesn't do any of that now. At first I took them saying that I'd never grow up as a diss. Now I know that they are just jealous.:cool:

Chvymn99, Felter, brenndatomu and 9 others like this.
  5. wheelhorseiron

wheelhorseiron

I have happy memories about about cruising around NE KS I'm my old Chevy pickup with four (you read that right) other guys on the cab. We never ruined anything on the truck, but dragging the car hood on the roads would get a different response nowadays.

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

Thor, Chvymn99, Felter and 7 others like this.
  6. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

So true. The troubles occurred with the narrow long driveways. A lot of the cabin people I plowed for didn't understand the importance of keeping a wide driveway. They wanted to save trees by not cutting them as needed to make room for wide plowing the snow. That is fine for summer access (except when they blew down across the road), but come winter this created conditions for plowing whereby the snow can't roll over the bank, and ends up piling up in front of the plow, sometimes stopping the truck.

I had one guy, a PhD in botany, that requested that I lift the plow enough to not scrape off the moss on his road. Well I tried to oblige to a degree, but the road was not very even or flat, and when going down or coming up out of a low spot, sure enough the plow would scrape a bit. We got though it...mainly due to my patience with him, and I saved a lot of his beloved mosses. He was a great guy, and I understood it was important to him, so I didn't mind trying. The bobcat guy we got in there to open it up for him was not as concerned, or aware of his particularities, and a lot of the moss ended up getting piled up with the snow, anyways.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  7. rottiman

rottiman

"Rolling Moss gather no stone's"...........................................:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

Chvymn99, Felter, brenndatomu and 5 others like this.
  8. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Phd that means PILE IT HIGHER AND DEEPER :rofl: :lol:JB

9. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Someday I will grow up and be responsible(doubtful) but in the meantime it's more fun my way:D:coldone:

Chvymn99, Felter, brenndatomu and 6 others like this.
  10. wheelhorseiron

wheelhorseiron

Given my screen name, y'all know I love my plow. But, here, there's less snow to plow and more dirt/rocks to push. I'm ok with that.

I would love to play with a good snow if it happened and I didn't have to worry about the house, wife driving, etc nowadays. Guess I just got old too fast.

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

11. Locust Post

Locust Post

I love just about anything outdoors and that definitely includes out in the snow and cold. I like to cut wood in a light snow and it really doesn't matter how cold.

Chvymn99, Felter, brenndatomu and 7 others like this.
  12. Horkn

Horkn

Looks like I get to play in the snow on my drive home today. It's been flurrying since about noon, and it's a light snow now. Guessers said no show until late tonight. Wrong....

13. clay shooter

clay shooter

when we have snow we cant drive out the yard, so we clear snow and all ways have a snow ball fight.

14. unclefess

unclefess Guest

i still enjoy the snow /winter ice fishing, snowshoeing ,i will jump on a sled now and then ,the snowshoe primitive biathlon is a lot of fun and watching the unprepared yuppies panic at the first snowflake is a bonus :D

15. Felter

Felter Banned

you are my new favorite person!!:thumbs:

16. Horkn

Horkn

I took my Kawasaki bayou to my buddy's house the other day. Before I loaded it in the trailer, I did a few cookies in the snow.:quad::banana::banana:

Chvymn99, wildwest, Felter and 4 others like this.
  17. bogydave

bogydave

Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    At what age do you stop playing in the snow?

I don’t know

Chvymn99, Felter, Horkn and 5 others like this.
  18. billb3

billb3

You're supposed to stop ?

19. Horkn

Horkn

Only to refuel . source.gif

20. yooperdave

yooperdave

:picard:

I can honestly say I've never done that! Since I sold my ATV anyway! :salute: