In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Ash as firewood

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Highknob, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Highknob

Highknob

Got a go on some ash logs at a new home site. Trees were dropped early fall. I need to cut and split. Is ash good for burning in my Fisher insert. What about drying time. I live in southern pa.

2. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02

It will be good after 2 years. It does come by it's name honestly though so be ready for more frequent ash cleanouts.

3. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

Welcome to the group.

4. Horkn

Horkn

Ash is great firewood. Easy to split and quick to dry. Get it cut and split now, it might be ready for next fall. A moisture meter will confirm that though.

5. Ashwatcher

Ashwatcher

Welcome Highknob - You're gonna like it here, I guarantee it. As the Ashwatcher, let me concur with my brethren that pound for pound, ash is a jewel, known as the "Firewood of Kings"..if you CSS now, it will be ready in a year and throws great mid-grade BTU's. Get it up off the ground say 12" and face it south you can burn by next fall....Now-the business-We like pics, dogs, beer and spending your money on accoutrements to enhance your addiction..er I meant hoard......Nice to meet you :handshake:

6. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

Hello welcome to FHC! :thumbs::D

7. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

As the ashwatcher :rofl: :lol: I see what you did there!:D

8. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

It’s terrible firewood....drop it off here on my curb, I’ll dispose of it for you.:rofl: :lol:
    All kidding aside, welcome aboard Highknob :)
    Ash is great farwood :yes:

9. HDRock

HDRock

Welcome to da club Highknob
    Ash is my favorite firewood :thumbs: fire-3-smiley-emoticon-animation.gif -wood-stove.jpg
    If it was dead standing when cut , part of it might be ready to burn now but that depends of it is laying directly on the ground wicking moisture
    Get yourself A moisture meter , after you split it check it with the meter , 20% moisture content and below is the target

10. Brian72

Brian72

Plenty of Ash here in PA too. All dead. I need a trailer to start gathering. Could probably have a lifetime supply just picking up the dead stuff.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

11. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Ash is one of my favorites.
    I burned a few cords of it the first couple years. Great burning wood. Makes plenty of heat. I haven't noticed more ashes coming out of the stove.

On a side note, I burned 2 full cords of cherry this year... and hauled out 1 cord of ashes. I was emptying the ash pan three times a week!

12. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Welcome Highknob, The only way to tell if any firewood is dry enough, is to check it. Really depends on how wet when cut, how split, where stacked etc etc.

I burn a lot of ash it keeps me warm so I like it.
    Nice to have you:handshake:

13. trail twister

trail twister

All I have burnt for about the last 15 16 years is Ash since the EHB killed 99% of them off.
    I normaly block the wood up in the winter starting with all the summer blow downs first, then the standing dead. It is ready to burn in the fall and thru out the winter. I cut down one on the neighbors yesterday he said he wanted gone about 8 inches at the base. I stacked it in be hind the furnace and just came up from chucking the base in the furnace just now. Burns good and makes plenty of heat. I have not noticed any different in the amount of ashes between it, compaired to Elm, Maple, Cherry or oak

[​IMG]

Took this top less one down a year ago in March. I had burnt the top as they fell the 2015/2016 season.
    As you can see it is pretty solid yet and has been dead a good 14 years. Talk about easy splitting YA RIGHT, not with a Fiskers 27 it isn't. Any thing over 12 inches seasoned standing a fiskers just bounces off. I bought one hit a couple blocks with it and decided it wasn't much good and returned it.
    Powe split or use a sledge and wedge to split the seasoned stuff over 12" in diameter.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

But then maybe my small piece of Michigan produced a super strain of Ash.

:D Al

14. walt

walt

Ash grows very dry,a cord of ash only loses 300 lbs of water from green to 20 percent MC.

15. firefighter938

firefighter938

Ash is excellent firewood. I especially like the dead ash that the bark falls off of. It splits easy, dries quickly, burns very well, and is clean to bring in the house.

Take care of it by stacking it on pallets or runners of some sort to elevate it off the ground. Then top cover it with old metal or a tarp. Just the top only so that air can move through your stack. It will last several years this way. Stacked in a good location you should be able to start burning it next fall.

16. woody5506

woody5506

I always pounce on the opportunity to get ash. Splits nice (With my splitter...), dries quick and throws heat. I'm always more excited to get a load of ash than pretty much any type of maple, regardless of maple variety.

I can't explain it beyond that. I just like it.

17. Highknob

Highknob

Pic of Ash logs with a few cherry for flavor. 20180219_110744.jpg 20180219_110744.jpg 20180219_110702.jpg 20180219_110535.jpg

18. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Welcome to the forum Highknob.

And to welcome you, here is some reading for you: Primer on Woodburning by Backwoods Savage

Ash is an excellent firewood! Some claim you get more ashes from it than with other wood but we've not found that part to be much different. We burn lots of it here, especially after the EAB came to reside here. But even before that we burned a lot of it simply because it makes such good firewood. Also, as a bonus, it is one of the easiest to split and fairly quick to dry. We've had no problems burning it after a year. However, we are on the 3 year plan so it stays in the stack a while.

Most of our cutting is done in winter, splitting in spring with stacking following immediately. To stack on, we cut some saplings to lay down and just stack on that. Come late fall we then top cover it and just let Mother Nature do her thing with the drying.

This wood was 99% white ash. We love it. It was split and stacked in April and top covered in December then sat there for 4 years before we burned it. There was almost 3 years worth of burning in those stacks.
    Wood-2009c.JPG Wood-2009e.JPG

19. Suburban wood snob

Suburban wood snob

It's great firewood. We are in the midst of EAB infestation here, and the little bastards are killing every Ash tree they touch. Unlike a virus, a physical pest like EAB isn't leaving any survivors with 'immunity'

NH mountain man, Horkn, Thor and 4 others like this.
  20. billb3

billb3

It comes by its name by the shape of its leaves.