In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Ariens GT17 garden tractor repower

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Horkn, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Horkn

Horkn

I had to modify the spacer.
    Message.jpg

This is what I ordered. Screenshot_20190724-211331~2.png

See the difference? I had to cut the one end to be an open slot, plus there were decent sized burrs on the inside of the spacer that came from the machining. I fixed both with the Dremel.

So, more anti sieze.... And..

Success with the clutch!!

20190724_191912.jpg

Notice the hickory persuader?

It didn't need the persuader to fit on when I used the second adapter. The first one was undersized on the ID. It wouldn't go on. The second one, once I opened the slot and deburred it, it fit perfectly. The clutch went on with nearly no effort.

It mows. But now I need to replace the bearings on the spindles, or just the spindles and new blades. Getting there. However, we didn't put any rtv or other sealant on the flywheel seal. Well... It leaks. Grrr

So we have to take the engine out again probably because you can't get to the flywheel without taking the engine shrouds off. Those are not really able to be removed without taking the engine out. Ugg. So the whole engine might need to come out again. We are good at doing the engine r&r though, unfortunately.

Well, that will allow me to get the deck refurbished.

I'm sure my dad's up there laughing at the situation.

Hammy, Marvin, fishingpol and 4 others like this.
  2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

So you modified what you had, or got a different one?
    If you modified it...nice solve! :yes:

Hammy, Screwloose and Horkn like this.
  3. Horkn

Horkn

Modified the second spacer I got. The first one, the SS one was oversized. The second one I had to cut the "bridge" off so I could slide the sleeve over the key. At least the second one was machined correctly.:loco: :crazy:

Apparently Napa carries the spindle bearings for $5 each. 2 per spindle. Then I need to find high lift style blades.

4. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

A couple tips here...maybe already know them, maybe not...either way, the price is right. ;) :D :p
    Depending on how the seal seems to fit into its seat, I may use Indian Head shellac on them to make sure they don't leak/pop out...that, or I am a big fan of "The Right Stuff" sealer in the place of regular ole RTV silicone...its much gooder!
    https://www.permatex.com/products/g...permatex-indian-head-gasket-shellac-compound/
    https://www.permatex.com/products/g...ers/permatex-the-right-stuff-1-minute-gasket/

5. Horkn

Horkn

I told my buddy to use some sort of sealant, we had rtv laying around, on the seal after the install to make sure it stays. He said he's never had to use it before.... Well.

This is the one time I wish I was wrong.

6. Horkn

Horkn

In the manual for the Kohler magnum, it says to use a sealant, lists several, on the oil seals.

:zip:

Hammy and brenndatomu like this.
  7. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Yeah if the seal body is bare steel I'll seal it...most are not bare steel anymore though...but if they say seal it, git er dun! :yes:

Screwloose likes this.
  8. Horkn

Horkn

The seal is a rubber thing. 259273.jpg

But the manual says seal it. So that's what it needs. We burnished the clutch in per recommendation. It works well, just need to do some odds and ends on the tractor.

Screwloose, Hammy and brenndatomu like this.
  9. Horkn

Horkn

So getting back to this project....

We pulled the engine to see the seal that had to have failed.

We pulled the engine out in pretty good time. Practice makes perfect, lol.

The seal had to have gotten boogered upon install. That's what we think. But surely we would have seen that right? The lip was out on the inside toward the flywheel stub.

Here's the seal. It was new when we installed it, and it ran maybe 8-10 minutes. It spewed oil all over, chit around by the flywheel blowing the air around.

20190821_190137.jpg
    Here's the engine after using some brake clean to get rid of the oil film.
    20190821_191245_HDR.jpg

So what are your thoughts on the seal failure?

Screwloose, Hammy and Marvin like this.
  10. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I'd agree...and you'd think it would have been noticeable, but maybe not...dunno...bet it gets hawkeyed this time! ;)

Horkn likes this.
  11. Horkn

Horkn

20190821_185915.jpg 20190821_185926.jpg

You can't tell as much from these pictures, but it's all the same seal we pulled.

Attached Files:

Screwloose, Marvin and brenndatomu like this.
  12. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

It was still in place when you took it apart? After blowing that last pic up it looks like something cut it, from the outside...almost like something punched it...

Screwloose and Horkn like this.
  13. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Wait a minute...that's a single lip seal...was it mounted lip out, or in?

Screwloose and Horkn like this.
  14. Horkn

Horkn

Yes, it was in place, just the inner lip that is cut was protruding like it was pushed out from the inside.
    It was put in the same way as the old one was put in. I think...

Now you have me thinking..

Screwloose and brenndatomu like this.
  15. Horkn

Horkn

No, it was installed the right way metal tension spring in toward the oil side/inside the crank.

16. Horkn

Horkn

Ok, back to it.

My buddy and I put the oil seal in tonight. We quadruple checked that it was going in properly. We also set it on a little deeper than the last one. We used the sealant and then rtv on the outside, despite the old seal not blowing out it's possible that the lip on the crank caught the seal lip and messed it up on the last one. By setting it a tad deeper, there should be no issues. Both of us eyed it up and around all 360 degrees separately and we both signed off on it. The grey rtv and gasket sealant should only ensure its good. There's still a good bit on the oil return galley, so the seal isn't in too far.

Then we got the engine reinstalled into the chassis. The driveshaft was easy to install, and the bolts lined up pretty easily for the engine to the frame.

Again, after you do something a few times, you get good at it.

The sealant and rtv have to set up, so we'll get back to it on Wednesday night. I'll bring the mower deck and the neighbor's 5' wide trailer so we can hook up the deck, and drive it on the trailer, so no more messing around.

Here it is now. Just need to put the belts on the PTO pulleys, hook up choke, throttle and a couple electrical connections, plop the hood on and it should be good. I'll need to get the headlights hooked up, but that's minor.

20190909_193347_HDR.jpg 20190909_193414_HDR.jpg

20190909_193401_HDR.jpg

Maybe I'll bring the different seat out on Wednesday so that could be mounted. The seat that is on it is not in great shape and lets water into the foam. It may be as easy as drilling a couple of holes or welding nuts onto the seat bottom. Or something. We've got a grinder, drills, and a welder. And duct tape. Lol.

17. Horkn

Horkn

Done. It's all good. We mounted the deck hooked up all the electrical connections, hooked up the choke and throttle cables.

We changed the oil, and mounted the different seat that my dad had wanted to put on the tractor years ago. We had to drill 4 holes in the seat pan, but it was pretty straight forward once we started working on the seat m. The original seat was pretty bad, allowing water to get into the foam due to all the cracks in the vinyl.

I'll get better pictures tomorrow. She still needs a few things, including a good wash, the key switch from the craftsman won't fit into the hole in the dash. It's odd, but it won't go. The original key switch started acting up, and doesn't work.

20190911_201952.jpg

20190911_201952.jpg

Attached Files:

Screwloose, Marvin, Erik B and 6 others like this.
  18. imwiley1

imwiley1

I hope it provides you with many years of service. Nice job.

19. Horkn

Horkn

Thank you. It's been a process as you've seen from this thread.
    Oh she will. It's on year 35 for my family now, after my dad bought it new in 82. Now I'll need to get the snowblower attachment from up North.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  20. Hammy

Hammy

Nice to see all your work and patience pay off Horkn !! Enjoy for another 35 years:)