In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Are we all doing it wrong?

Discussion in 'Rocket Stoves & Rocket Mass Heaters' started by Kimberly, Nov 28, 2017.

1. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

I'm batching it, the boss is at the district 2 honors festival grand daughter has a first chair as a freshman with about three months on her latest instrument.

badbob and Canadian border VT like this.
  2. savemoney

savemoney

I couldn't cut the amolodipine 10 mg tab without messing it up. so had to get the 5 mg tabs. How to you mange to cut the 2.5 mg tabs? Even the scored tablets in other meds do not cut evenly. Hard to make sure of dosing when you get crumbs.

3. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

I cut 5mg tabs my cutter uses a razor blade and if I get it lined up everything goes fine.

My sawbones uses twice a day if at the 10mg level. So it goes 2.5 5 and 2 5's.

5 mg is too much and 2.5 too little.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  4. Soggy Logs

Soggy Logs

New Member here!
    Joined cause this thread caught my interest.

Here is my .02

I looked up how many btu's one cord of wood equals, for Hickory its 27,700,000 btu's but I doubt he's got a source for a quality hardwood out in Montana so I checked on Cottonwood. Its at 16,800,000 btu's.
    So lets say he is using wood that yields 20,000,000.
    he uses .6 cords so thats 12,000,000 btus he has available.

I also checked on the energy survey that required on a new house build.
    This survey was done on our new house which we moved in in Oct 2017.
    It calculates that our house needs 31,500,000 btus/year to heat it.

Now our house is 2800sq ft, very well insulated and very air tight.
    I'd be surprised if he is anywhere close to our insulation and air tightness.
    I'd also suspect that his house is smaller.

If his house is about 1/2 the size of ours and insulated and as air tight and if he gets every bit of heat from the wood into his house then MAYBE its possible.

I noticed that it looks like his flue pipe is bigger than 8", I suspect its a double wall pipe and so of course it would be relatively cool on the outside.
    I have 8" flue pipe that's a double wall and I'll have to check again what the temps are as it exits the interior space on the 2nd floor. I think it was about 220 when I checked it a year ago.

I heat our house with 3 cords of mostly Hickory and Ironwood. We have a masonry heater, so one fire a day for about 2 hours will heat the place all day in temps above 25 easily. I'll bet my burn is pretty efficient, It burns fast and hot.

3 cords of Hickory = 83,100,000 btus, Survey says 31,500,00. big difference between how much one burns and how much is captured and used to heat house.

5. Marvin

Marvin

Welcome Soggy Logs! I can already tell you are going to like this place :handshake: