In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Aquarium Buffs

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by wildwest, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

I used to really be into aquariums but only had a few tanks. The biggest was a 38 gallon tank that was connected to a 10 gallon jungle tank (densly vegetated). I was addicted to those lilly packs from walmart because they rarely were what they were supposed to be and you got all kinds of different plants, the bulbs were so poorly identified. Anyway, the jungle tank kept the bigger tank really clean and all the plants really loved what the fishes shat. I had those tiny little blue and red fish, i waant to say neon tetras but that is probably wrong, in the planted tank, but they were the only fish in there. I had another tank that was used for spawning and quarantine, so it wasnt hooked in with the others. Of course, they two non- jungle tanks had many live plants of their own as the plants continued to foourish in the jungle tank they got moved into the other tanks and sometimes sold to pet shops.

Stlshrk and wildwest like this.
  2. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

:banana: My water plant called me back last night, our particular source is from a high country river, even better than I thought!

GH 80 ppm, from your chart above "soft"
    ph 7.6
    calcium 50 ppm

:rootintootin:

Going for the standard test kit for cycling a new tank, not going to worry about hardness :)

3. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

4. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

:rofl: :lol: I just made my first post there: "where do I post questions for this fish":picard:

5. ironpony

ironpony

thanks, I'll check it out

edit; I joined

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    wildwest likes this.
  6. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

:thumbs:

7. Steve

Steve

Hope I'm not breaking any rules here, but; I joined a forum when I got my start in the hobby back in '02. Taught me everything I needed to know. I was surprised to find that most of what I learned was counter to what they sold told me. Here is the site: www.aquariacentral.com

eatonpcat, Grizzly Adam and wildwest like this.
  8. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Thanks Steve! I just joined there, it appears there is more interaction there.

Steve likes this.
  9. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Anticipation! :rootintootin:

:banana:Husband is going to a city tomorrow with a pet store. He's not thrilled that the free tank I got is a 55gal, so he will look for something with a smaller footprint, I can't wait to see how it turns out :dex:

I personally am shocked with the prices I have seen online.... (I really don't think he will buy something when he sees the prices :rofl: :lol:) Either way I am so close to getting "some" kind of aq set up. There is a Walmart here for some minnows for cycling, I can get other equip and fish online when we are ready.

How silly I am SO thrilled over this :thumbs::whistle::picard:

10. blacktail

blacktail

Best way to start the cycle in your tank is to get used filter media from an established tank. Most shops will give it away for free. Just stuff it into your filter when you add your first fish.

wildwest likes this.
  11. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

You won't believe it, there is not one aquarium shop here. BUT, my husband picked up a bacteria supplement. Wish me luck :)

12. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

So, he did not buy a new aq, but helped set up the used 55. (free is cool!) He picked up some gravel/bacteria booster/fish food..............................And fish. Fish? I am not ready for them, didn't even have anything set up incase he bought a different aq. I should have known better, he had the lil one with him.

So now the fish are prematurely in the tank with a few gallons of water and no heater :picard::rofl: :lol::picard: Notice I did not mention dechlorinator in my last sentence of items brought home. I sacraficed a 5 gal drinking water bottle, a few quarts of tap water, and let those same containers sit overnight to add this morning. I sat the heater in the tank last night before turning it on, there was something floating on the inside, not going to bother trying it.

Shopping online is very confusing for me now with all the new crazy products. What happened to dechlor/salt/biozyme?!? I managed to decipher what I hope will work on amazon, most of it should arrive in 3 days. Crossing my fingers the fish will make it (I already pulled out 5 m&m's the lil one fed the fish today). Speaking of dechlorinating, all the ones I could find are now "water conditioners". What about those of us that have tanks that see direct sun an hour or so per day and don't want the extra phosphates, or aloe, or whatever chemicals "condition" the water.......

It reminds me of women's hair care products. 2 main elements, protein/moisture back in the day. They don't say that anymore, who the heck knows what the new volumizing and shining stuff does?

Rant over, thanks, not the aq industries fault I am behind on the times...

13. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    I had an aquarium for a few years of just freshwater fish. My fancy fish slowly disappeared and all that remained was goldfish and a huge Plecostomus - about 12" long. I gave it all up and here is what I did next.
    terrarium (9).JPG

I created a terrarium out of the aquarium. That went well for a few years until the plants either died or took over the small space - mostly died. When we moved back to this place, there isn't the south facing light available for a lot of house plants so I created a fantasy world of fairies and small creatures.

100_2646.JPG

Some are figurines from my grandmother and others are my collection of fairies. It looks better like this.

100_2649.JPG

Unfortunately I am not the best photo taking person. I love miniatures and when I have time, I will be updating this with a timer and LED lights.

14. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Beautiful!

15. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Amazingly 6 of the 7 fish that were brought home too early have survived :) Beyond my expectations and with the little water in the tank its cycling quickly. New bacteria boosters rock!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    Woodwidow and Horkn like this.
  16. Horkn

Horkn

That's good to hear!

Woodwidow and wildwest like this.
  17. Rudedog

Rudedog

I love Marine aquaria. I have two reef tanks. Currently I have a BC 8 and a 29 gallon. I'm working on setting up a 75 gallon reef tank. Here's a pic of the 29 gallon that features a couple of rose tip bubble anemone and skunk clown fish.

IMG_0216.JPG

Gasifier, jharkin, Horkn and 2 others like this.
  18. Rudedog

Rudedog

Here is the BC 8 with close ups of some Sexy Shrimp. They are about 3/4 of an inch.
    IMG_0104.JPG IMG_0105.JPG

Stlshrk, Gasifier, jharkin and 2 others like this.
  19. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

W O W !!

Nice to meet you :)

20. Horkn

Horkn

Love me some sexy shrimp! I had a couple when we had my 90g reef, but one of the inhabitants ate them.

Nice tanks!

Stlshrk and wildwest like this.