In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Aquarium Buffs

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by wildwest, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

No experience with killies but a bit with cichlids. Currently only running 5 tanks for a total of 375 gallons. Have about 30 empty tanks right now.

wildwest likes this.
  2. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

Going to Youngstown for auction today. Got a bunch of firemouth fry to get rid of.

wildwest and Gasifier like this.
  3. ~smokey~

~smokey~

Not mine but I could see someone here at FHC building one !

aquarium-tv-stand-fish-tank-custom-tree-trunk-for-sale-cabinet-ecological-floor-awesome-kenya-c.jpg

Stlshrk, Steve, Horkn and 3 others like this.
  4. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Itchin' for new fish. Silly it's sat vacant except for a bristlenose pleco this long. It's easier than filling a humidifier a couple times a day for some humidity and WWW dips from it when our temperamental pump needs primed (often :picard: ), and is a great nightlight for the living room.

I've bought fish twice from the store here in the last 3 years and both times acquired snails, so now I have 2 varieties of snails. I would like to replicate a beautiful 90 gal from years past, but space is tight in here in the new digs so working with a 40H, (too small for those fish, they were beautiful and hilarious, for years begged WWW to catch moths etc for them and actually look you in they eye and flirt), still a sucker for calmer South American's.....

Snails, loaches. easy going south american cichlids (not sure I want to deal with salt creep with africans nor cleaning around the territory structures or either), heck, I'm all over the board on what I'd like but trying to fit into 40 gal. Thought live bearers would be fun for kiddo but she's not that into it. Killie's are not my cup of tea. Always wanted a Rainbow tank, but again 40g. Probably the cutest fish ever was a yellow tang, except I'll likely not do salt again.

Horkn likes this.
  5. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

Rams and angels would going well in a 40. And they are both South American cichlid

Horkn and wildwest like this.
  6. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Gorgeous!! :drool: Going to do some tetras for mid tank space too, I'll start with them, then add the rams, later an angel (or 3 ) as the bacteria increases. Do you recall the number of fish rams like to be with? Sucks to pay shipping 3 times for separate orders though. Idk, I have biozyme.....

Horkn likes this.
  7. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

I'd go with 4-6 rams. Same for angels

8. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Rams and tetras in the order process :ups: They can't ship til next Thurs? because of weather, and then what stock is available then............but still excited!! Glad to get back to fish I know after trying some different things for kiddo, and like I said, she's just not that into it. I'll add angels later after the bio load adjusts. Also the tank is back on it's stand, up off the floor and out of the kitchen (it fit very well under a chrome bakers rack, but stuff got in there including pam cooking spray and other stuff :whistle:

:banana:

Horkn likes this.
  9. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

I stored some aquariums in a shed once and found some kind o f critter poo in them. Basement seems to be only place to store aquariums is the basement but I would really like to use basement for other things

10. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I didn't order the other fish but do have some baby angels now, going to stick with only them for awhile and wait on the other fish and double stacked (gorilla garage shelving) til if and when. Besides, they will pair off and I'll have to make changes anyway.

I have some wonderful Yooperlites courtesy of yooperdave but I can't get them to glow. Can someone suggest the correct light? I had an LED light on a 48" tank a couple years ago that I could change to blue and some plants and fish would "glow". I now have a 30" tank and two lights, the Yooperlite rocks look awesome but I can't get them to glow.

Angels are pretty lil things from a breeder on ebay. Too cute, the wipe erase marker circle is kiddo tracking snail eggs:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    yooperdave, Woodwidow and Horkn like this.
  11. Horkn

Horkn

That is cool, but unless that's a facade or hollowed out, or maybe the room behind that wall is a " fish room", maintenance and equipment would be tough on that tank.

yooperdave and wildwest like this.
  12. Horkn

Horkn

I'm trying to find the right light for the yooperlites to glow. I thought my LED array would make them glow, but it doesn't. My live corals glow under this LED fixture. :emb:. I'll figure it out and let you know.

13. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Makes me wonder, looks like there is a power cord through the wall on the bottom right. Either photoshopped or directly behind the wall but the power cord to the side makes me wonder. Still very pretty EDIT hollowed out
    Thanks !

Horkn and yooperdave like this.
  14. yooperdave

yooperdave

It has to be a blacklight/UV light or they won't "glow". I have tried the regular black light bulbs myself (menards) but they didn't work at all.

wildwest and Horkn like this.
  15. Horkn

Horkn

Yes, they need to be 365 nm uv lights. I saw some in an LED strip for about $35. I'm sure I'll find a better deal.

16. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Here we go, one of the once baby angels is now cleaning the lift tube :picard: It started with 6, one was sickly and only made it a couple days, then the other that was not thriving expired. Now ~9 months later (?) Bueller, he only came out during feeding is gone. I'll have to see which two paired off, I don't have it in me to breed but not sure I can resist. :popcorn: Guess I know why Bueller was always hiding, idk, think I'll rearrange and shake up the territories.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
    Lousyweather and Horkn like this.
  17. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

Rearranging could delay spawning

wildwest likes this.
  18. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

That is my hope, both protect the odd man out, and frankly I don't think I can find room for extra growing tank(s) or the energy to hatch brine shrimp/ extra pumps. my previous set up was a commercial pump via pvc, I could hook up and adjust air flow anywhere (this house is 1/2 the size of that one).

Lousyweather likes this.
  19. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

Too bad your not closer to me. I'd grow them out. Got plenty of empty tanks and running out of room to put any more firewood. Need something else to do

Lousyweather and wildwest like this.
  20. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

I raise neocaridena and caridena shrimp......those babies are TINY (about 1 mm when hatched)....sometimes I dont even see them until they are 5-6 mm with all the plants I grow!

wildwest likes this.