In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Aquarium Buffs

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by wildwest, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

Here is my jungle tank....yes, all the plants are real.....please ignore the forks and spoons.....I like to feed my fish individually :D. I have some pygmy cories, otocinclus, and maybe a dozen Celestial Pearl Danios.
    IMAG0889.jpg

Stlshrk, Camber, wildwest and 5 others like this.
  2. LinkedXJ

LinkedXJ

pertty

wildwest likes this.
  3. blacktail

blacktail

I have a 29 gallon. Nothing fancy. There's black skirt tetras, dwarf Australian rainbows, and neons.
    20170216_121856.jpg

Stlshrk, wildwest, raybonz and 2 others like this.
  4. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

Ill take a pic tonight...its changed a bit

wildwest likes this.
  5. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

nice and bright, very clean....nice!

wildwest likes this.
  6. LinkedXJ

LinkedXJ

do it!

I miss having a planted tank so much.

wildwest and Lousyweather like this.
  7. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

You miss them when you dont have them, but dont forget the maintenance involved! Still not as bad as the old salt water tank!

wildwest likes this.
  8. LinkedXJ

LinkedXJ

Thats exactly why i dont have one anymore.. lol

I had 2 high tech planted tanks up and running.
    A 90 gallon and a 40 gallon breeder.

wildwest likes this.
  9. Gasifier

Gasifier

Here is my 55 gallon. A few Swordtails, some healthy Tiger Barbs, a Catfish or two, a couple Chinese Algae Eaters, and in the bigger log is the boss.
    IMG_2744.JPG

Red Tailed Black Shark. He is a healthy fella.
    IMG_2747.JPG

IMG_2748.JPG

Woodwidow and wildwest like this.
  10. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

:drool:

11. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I was fortunate, a fish shop near my doc appt today in a bigger town was #1 open, #2 we had a couple minutes to go in, first time both happened in 5 years. Picked up a 20H for $30-they are much more expensive online or here. The 55 I found on freecycle 5 years ago has been great for humidity and I can, but we are in a much smaller house. My equip will fit in the new 20H, I'll just have to keep better track of cleaning since it can lose a gallon or two a day.

BUT :drool: They had a large show tank with different Rainbows in there. Won't happen, but I am still :drool::drool::drool:

Fish wise I took a very long pause on a couple south americans, then africans, and reality set in on what I can and cannot do now and why I ended up breaking down and donating my 30 tank integrated system back in the day. So, for now, sticking with the tetras (they don't pair off or breed on me) and get a bit more floor space in this smaller house.

Need to get through a tough vacation, getting Blazer radio installed, bathroom fixing up, then switch tanks.

except I cannot get the 70H in storage in the pole barn out of my mind, it would be PERFECT for a planted Rainbow tank

12. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

13. VOLKEVIN

VOLKEVIN

:p

14. Midwinter

Midwinter

15. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I ordered killlifish eggs. 4 hatched, cool!! I used a glass pyrex bread loaf backing dish for hatching. Youtube peeps move them to a bigger container/aq. Ah, Uh, no way, tried with a turkey baster and also a gold mining snuffer, zero results and I do not want to injure the microscopic lil hatchlings. Idk, need to do something asap since I've been feeding them in the bread pan, not enough water nor any filtration for the excess brine. Thinking about bringing the 20 gal back in with just enough water to be over the bread pan, let them come out by themselves, then remove the bread pan with peat moss later?

Chazsbetterhalf, Gasifier and Horkn like this.
  16. Horkn

Horkn

Can you try a LED light to coax then into your trap? That works with other fry.

17. Gasifier

Gasifier

This is my Guppy tank. 29 gallon if I remember correctly. It needs a serious cleaning :emb:and some new plants. Hopefully get some this week and get it cleaned and rearranged.
    F9C8F688-E271-4627-8EB3-7702CA3E6123.jpeg

18. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Hey, did you know a quick bath in diluted bleach solution will clean the plants right up? 10 minutes or more, the bleach sort if dissolves and hardens the aglae stuff, slosh them around a bit to dislodge stuff, then into clean water rinse bath once or twice with more sloshing and most of it pretty much falls off. When I did commercial accounts on site I used a neutralizer, but at home it was just a good rinse and air dry. Shake excess water off, set out in sun, ready later that day or the next once you know there is no hidden drops somewhere in a leaf or anchor base.

Over the years my plastic plant became brittle, but that was many many years.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  19. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

:rofl: :lol: I've been hunkered over the bread pan with my tiny led mag lite like keychain flashlight the last couple days with a magnifying glass. Dawned on me today, 5 days later :whistle:, to use the flashlight on my phone, :dex: there they are! Their eyes glow, I can see them without a magnifying glass now, and yes, two of them swam to the phone flashlight. Idk Horkn , these are the smallest fry I have ever ever seen. Ever. Even smaller than shell dweller. Smaller than angel eggs tails sprouting. Too bad I don't have seasoned sponge filter, gave my entire hatchery away when we moved, and just recently took out my seasoned bio balls (ceramic hex ones) :rolleyes: from a tank I moved.

Thinking about a clear storage tote rigged for water changes for now, the turkey baster is getting old, but if I know they are all over there I take a squeeze and express it in a glass vase, double check they are all still in the bread pan, and fail safe they will be in the vase if not.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    Chazsbetterhalf and Horkn like this.
  20. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I did a water change 2 days ago with the turkey baster, very very slow. Then there were 3 fry. Getting cooler here at night, finally poured what I could into a hang on except inside for warm water in an AQ, sure enough all 3 were in there and barely any peat:yes:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019