In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Gardening Anyone using stock tanks for raised garden beds?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by EODMSgt, May 19, 2021.

1. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

Question for anyone using stock tanks for raised gardens. I have three 6' stock tanks that I will be using for growing vegetables this year however I want the option to be able to move the tanks with the forks on the tractor (I have to chase the sun as the year progresses). What I was planning to do was support the tanks on six cinder blocks, which would allow the forks to slide underneath easily. I was wondering if the six cinder blocks would be enough support for the stock tanks when filled (so the bottom doesn't sag)?

Just curious if anyone has done something along these lines.

2. JWinIndiana

JWinIndiana

We do, but mainly because they leaked and the bottoms were rusting out. So for my situation, it wouldn't be enough support. What about using a skid/pallet under it?(cut the pallet so it isn't a tripping hazard).

3. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

So I ended up going with my original plan but added 2x8 PT boards under the stock tanks. I like the format (and ran out of room) so I am getting two more tanks. The height is perfect for me and I don't have to bend over at all to work the garden (a blessing after multiple back surgeries). I realize the plants are too close together at the moment however I wanted to get them out of the plastic planters and into the fertilized soil. I will be transplanting some this week once I get the other two stock tanks which will give more room between plants. So far I have a mix of tomatoes (5 different kinds), cucumbers (2 kinds), jalapenos (2 kinds), bell peppers (2 kinds), leafy lettuce (2 kinds), and broccoli. I still have to get my radishes, carrots, and summer squash planted. Looking forward to canning season this year.

20210618_143658.jpg

4. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

That looks great EODMSgt :salute:

Do tell, did you fill the entire tank with soil or did you add a filler so as not to require so much dirt?

5. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

I put about 6" of 3/4 stone in the bottom to aid in drainage. I know other people that use stock tanks put everything from large rocks to milk crates inside to help fill the void however I had a large amount of mixed garden topsoil from a project a few years ago so I had plenty of soil to use (the top six inches of soil also has a compost mix and some peat blended in). The tanks come with a single drain from the factory and I'm going to see if that is enough. If not, I can always use an angle drill and make a few more holes in the bottom.

6. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

I liked the idea of using pallets (cheaper than PT wood, that's for sure), however I would have to use two per tank and that would get kind of wonky when trying to pick the tanks up later with the forks on the tractor.

7. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

Do the raised planters/beds like this require extra watering or do you treat it the same as your regular in ground garden?

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

8. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Very nice !

Clean and organized to say the least, Great looking area and some nice toys there as well !!

9. CoachSchaller

CoachSchaller

our
    Our raised beds require some extra watering, although they are directly on the ground which helps with moisture.

10. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

That's a great question. The soil is very rich, so I am hoping it will retain the moisture. However, I am wondering if the metal heating up in the hot sun will enhance evaporation of the moisture. Time will tell.

11. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

Good info to know.

12. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

Right now it's organized chaos out back with so many projects going on.

13. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

Got the other two tanks positioned and put the 3/4 stone in the bottom of each tank. Just have to get the soil, compost, and peat in the two new tanks and then I can finish planting. The pathways are wide enough to get a wheelbarrow through and everything is squared off so it will be easier to put up a fence if needed.

20210620_151020.jpg

14. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

Finally got the raised beds finished and ended up using six stock tanks.

20210623_101349.jpg 20210624_150906.jpg

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  15. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

damm , I'll say it again. That is a beautiful tractor.
    Everything else looks great as well but my eyes go straight to " The Great Pumpkin ".

16. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

What a great idea ! Need to remember this one..

17. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

It definitely comes in handy!

18. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

19. billb3

billb3

I've seen youtube videos of guys using galvanized tanks in Australia.
    I have some smaller plastic tubs and I've been using landscape fabric over drain holes to let water out and keep soil in. Roots get into it a little bit but don't seem to complicate anything. I don't use rock.
    Tubs can get quite a bit warmer during the day and exposed to the sun can use quite a bit of water. In theory (lots of) water can flush out some nutrients. I add my own compost every year so I haven't noticed poor performance or signs of nutrient deficiencies. Plus I add a few things like Espoma plant-tone or tomato-tone and blood meal or bone meal as required every Spring.

Chazsbetterhalf and metalcuttr like this.
  20. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

Only thing I can harvest so far is some lettuce however everything else is growing well (although the zucchini plants have somewhat overtaken the radishes).

20210717_142115.jpg 20210717_142057.jpg