In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Anyone traveling to see the Eclipse?

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by buZZsaw BRAD, Mar 24, 2024.

1. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Talking to my husband, it was Galeton? I'm losing memory of those names down there.

2. Flamestead

Flamestead

Yes, Galeton, you aren’t losing it yet!

3. billb3

billb3

Same here. The color of the daylight did change a little bit though. I did the pinhole in paper viewing technique and never saw more than around 25% if that (like Apple's bite in the apple logo) , but I wasn't hanging around outside. I just kept going outside a few times to check.

Supposedly there were long lines at some Tesla Supercharger stations.

savemoney, wildwest, MAF143 and 3 others like this.
  4. jrider

jrider

It certainly looks and sounds like those who saw totality got a great show. I am jealous for sure. My wife wants to travel to Spain in the worst way. The next total eclipse to occur anywhere on land will be in August 2026 and since we are both teachers, that just may be my opportunity.

5. sms4life

sms4life

Really cool pic!

6. Flamestead

Flamestead

7. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I got a bit darker here yesterday. I noticed the temperature drop. Some clouds. I did the pinhole in the paper trick and saw a crescent sun maybe 25% covered.

savemoney, wildwest, MikeInMa and 2 others like this.
  8. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

9. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

Local PD said that traffic through Franconia Notch didn't clear up until almost six this morning. Saw some people saying it took them around twelve hours to get from Pittsburg to the southern part of the state (we're not that big of a state). Not taking anything away from those who wanted to see it, but I just don't get the hype. It's a natural phenomenon that is simply a lucky alignment of celestial bodies. Hearing people say it was the greatest thing they ever saw, others breaking down crying, others talking about mystical auras and such....um, ok. The only thing I was impressed with was that during the peak totality here (around 98%), there was no traffic on the road for a few minutes. That was the best part of the day.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2024
  10. Sourwood

Sourwood

I drove my niece and her mother to the airport in I day, about 1AM this morning. Just nothing on the highways.

11. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Imagine how terrifying it would have been for someone working in the fields about 2000 years ago and the sun went dark. No warning or explanation of what it was or how long it would last.

12. Jeffrey Svoboda

Jeffrey Svoboda

The ol' sun god was mad at em. :rofl: :lol:

eatonpcat, wildwest, EODMSgt and 2 others like this.
  13. jrider

jrider

How An Eclipse Saved Christopher Columbus And His Crew From Doom

Woodwidow, wildwest and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  14. billb3

billb3

Actually, there's quite a bit of evidence people understood what eclipses were for quite some time. Unfortunately there are many myths and legends that have been recorded and sometines construed as "historical fact" - like burning pine will burn your house down. Should people 2000 years from now open a time capsule and believe all people were ignorant regarding burning of pine ?
    You have to ask yourself, " Can we build a pyramid today "?

wildwest and Jeffrey Svoboda like this.
  15. Chaz

Chaz

Nope, not really.

I just saw light clouds.. dark clouds.. light clouds.

Not impressed at all, that happens every night.

16. MAF143

MAF143

Many years ago I heard a commotion above me... I crept out and saw her crossing the bridge. I was sneaking up behind her with a club when she turned around and said, "my, what cute troll you are." She may have been blinded by the sun that day too...

The rest is history...

17. savemoney

savemoney

That only gave them an excuse to sacrifice the wife to the sun gods. :whistle:

18. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Interesting article. I realized that most mariners and those who were attuned to the skies had some idea of what was happening. For instance, the wise men of the east noticed the unusual star over the Middle east and were able to discern its meaning from scriptures. Before the Dark Ages, a lot of information and technology was out there concerning our world and the stars above but a lot was lost throughout the Dark Ages.

But with all the evidence there was of the world being round, many believed that the world was flat.

19. savemoney

savemoney

I went outside for the event. The light dimmed with a slight greenish-yellow tint. Only with the special glasses could I see the actual moon crossing in front of the sun. The roads heading north were very busy, but worse when it was over. It took 2.5 extra hours to travel from Jackman to Augusta. That population swelled from 800 to 10,000. The ski areas were crowded. Other towns up north were jammed. No overnight accommodation left available. Booked up a long time ago. I could have driven north, but I wanted to stay out of trouble so I stayed home. Lots of food trucks had made their way up to the total areas. I think they made out well. FB full of pictures today.

20. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

For those that know NH, reports are in that just on 93 South through Hookset, the southbound traffic saw an increase of around 54,000 vehicles after the eclipse. A typical holiday weekend only sees around an extra 20,000 vehicles. That's an impressive number. And that number is just for 93 and doesn't take into consideration the traffic on 16 and any of the east-west roads (a lot of people took 302 east down to 95 in Portland for example). To get from north to south in the state (typically a 3 1/2-hour trip) took over 12 hours.

savemoney, jrider, billb3 and 5 others like this.