In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Anyone own a Harman?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by Cash Larue, Jan 22, 2022.

1. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

I agree! The touch screen does give you more control with settings, but the only thing that i really like is setting a schedule. If i had one, I'd set it to turn down just after bed than turn back up before i would get up.

2. ChandlerR

ChandlerR

I am happy to say that I too have a 2007 Harman Accentra II freestanding. I'm on my 3rd year and I love it. Other than a combustion blower last year, (It was original) the stove just runs and runs. I run it on room temp, feed rate 4 and temp set to 67, 24/7 and average a bag a day thanks to my 1100 square foot house. I do a quick cleaning weekly. a more detailed deep clean monthly and a complete teardown cleaning twice a year. Once in the Fall and once in March. I love the mechanical design. Simple and safe. They seem to use the basic mechanicals in all their models.

imacman, badbob, wildwest and 3 others like this.
  3. Tullytown

Tullytown

Yes. Less to go wrong but can understand that they help with quicker diagnostics.. i think of my n
    New Subaru and all the new computer run things now. But i dont think a pellet stove heats any better than the standard ones because the fuel yo heat uschas not changed like the stoves. Pellets are still pellets..they still produce x amount of heat regardless of electronic driven.

4. ChandlerR

ChandlerR

While the pellets are the same, each stove manufacturer has their own idea how best to get that heat into the house. Before I bought the Accentra, I had a Magnum Baby Countryside. Big box store stove bought during the last oil crisis. (2008?) All the pellet stove dealers were out and I was in the process of building my family room. I didn't make any provisions for heat from my furnace because my plan was a pellet stove from the get go. That little Baby heated the room and subsequently the house just fine. What it had in heat delivery, it lacked in the maintenance department. I spent more time cleaning that darned stove to keep it working at peak efficiency. Over the few years I owned it, I replaced every motor, modified the burn pot and made some maintenance modifications that allowed me to clean it properly. Over the 10 years I owned it I was never able to go more than 2 days without shutting it down and giving it a good cleaning. My Accentra is maintenance free compared to the Baby. Yes they both burned the same amount of pellets per day. Btu's are btu's. But the difference in quality is like comparing a Yugo to a Toyota. They both do the same thing but......

wildwest, schoondog, imacman and 3 others like this.
  5. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

Good point and great analogy. My sister's daily driver is a 1997 Toyota 4runner with 388 thousand miles on it. She bought it in 2004 with 110 thousand miles. That thing is bullet proof. She could afford a brand new one, but the one she has has been so reliable - she swears she will never buy another vehicle.

moresnow, wildwest, imacman and 2 others like this.
  6. badbob

badbob

Yep. Having started out with an Integra,then servicing stoves,I am still amazed at stoves that have to be serviced daily/weekly. Which is why I kept the Accentra for my living room..Basically,the cheaper the stove,the more trouble,maintenance and repairs. I still use both,Integra usually only when below 0 with lots of wind, or need to work in the basement.

7. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

How is this working out for you & family Cash Larue ?

Cash Larue and imacman like this.
  8. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

Hi, WW! It's going great! The P43 feels like twice the pellet stove that my old Quad was. The Quad barely kept up with the cold temps in the lower level of my house on the "Hi" setting. I keep the Harman on "low" and the lower level maintains 70+ degrees on the coldest days and nights. It was rare to hit 67 or 68 degrees at any point with the old Quadrafire. I'd imagine I would be well above 80 degrees on the high setting on cold days with the Harman.

The Quadrafire Castile had a max BTU rating of 30,600.
    The Harman P43 is rated at 43,500. The difference when you walk in the room is insane.

Hope all is well up there in WY!
    140D592D-60C5-4CAC-B6DB-5E73D90DB96E_1_201_a.jpeg

9. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Wow, that's great to hear! All good up here, on the tail end of winter thankfully.

imacman and Cash Larue like this.
  10. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

Here too, I think... The Robbins are out and about. The Mule deer are grazing on the tiny green shoots coming up. We've been having some nice warm days.

But in the last two days, we got over 8" of snow and cold temps. CO is so bipolar in the mountains, as you know :rolleyes:

imacman, bogieb and wildwest like this.
  11. savemoney

savemoney

I bought a p68 to heat two floors with 2200 sq feet. It did a wonderful job. But 6 years ago, we split the house up with my son and his family upstairs, and us downstairs. The stairwell is no longer open so the P68 is heating only half the space. It is too big for this area so I run it on the room temp so it runs hot when it runs, but then shuts down for a while. Very easy to maintain. Very dependable . I now augment my heat with a mini split heat pump which doesn't seem to use as much power as the stove uses to run. My pellet use has gone down to just under two tons now. I dump the ash and vac it out, but I get the deep cleaning down by the stove techs. I am disabled and can't get up and down like I would need to do for the deep cleaning stuff. I don't mind paying the professionals to do it and checking out the stove to make sure all is still good. I would recommend the p series to anyone who is serious about heating their home efficiently.

12. bogieb

bogieb

Glad to hear you are happy with the stove Cash Larue !

wildwest, Cash Larue and imacman like this.
  13. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

That all sounds like a great plan. The company that I bought my P43 from will come out twice this year and clean and maintain it for me - as part of buying it from them. I can feel the heat from this thing coming up the stairs, which are open here. I’ve been burning wood less since I put the P43 in. That’s partially from the warmer weather, and partially from the additional heat coming up the stairs to the main living area.

bogieb, imacman, wildwest and 2 others like this.
  14. savemoney

savemoney

Good luck with your stove. If your stove is in a basement with uninsulated walls, you are asking a lot of any stove. So much heat is lost through the walls. Only our floor is not insulated. You must have a cd that came with the Harman. Pay attention to that. Happy Heating!

15. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I'm curious about your basement too Cash Larue , I'll guess main floor + walk out basement that is 2 cement walls and 2 wood framed walls. And a 30" or 36" staircase. Just a hunch.

Cash Larue and imacman like this.
  16. Orson_Yancey

Orson_Yancey

I love my Harman P68. I put wet pellets and fines through it.

Cash Larue, imacman and wildwest like this.
  17. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

I have a “lower level” that is actually a walk in. Three sides of my “lower level” are carved into the side of the mountain - solid granite. The front side faces the driveway and the other three sides are carved into the hill. The upper level is the main area, but you have to take stairs up to the main level. It’s kind of hard to explain, but it’s pretty common mountain construction.

18. Luneyburg

Luneyburg

34228FA8-4D36-4528-BFDE-30FDE34B1FC9.jpeg Have two and would not have any other stoves . Have a P43 in the cellar and a P68 on the first floor of my leaky old farmhouse . I have OCD so I do the monthly cleaning weekly but this is the only way to heat my house . Have a state of the art oil fired system but can’t afford to run it , plus I love wood heat .So does my 19 year old rescue cat

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022