In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Anyone have any experience with Blazeking? got this

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by trooney, Dec 7, 2017.

1. concretegrazer

concretegrazer

Show me the tube stove with a 24 hour burn time. ;)

SKEETER McCLUSKEY and trooney like this.
  2. concretegrazer

concretegrazer

In the stove? Probably not. Cleaner exhaust.

milleo and trooney like this.
  3. trooney

trooney

I'm just new at this epa non epa stuff. I heard a catalytic stove burns better but dont know the physics behind it.

4. jdonna

jdonna

I've emptied once in a past month. 24/7 burning. I've been burning mostly barkless well seasoned ash. I am sure others will chime in.

trooney likes this.
  5. swags

swags Moderator

When I’m pushing my stove really hard I have to remove ash about once a week. And I’m taking out a little more then ash there. Right now it’s pretty cold here. Was 17 yesterday 22 today and were in an 1830s farm house. That’s our only heat so we have to run it fairly hard when it dips that low. But in more normal weather I only empty ashes once a month

papadave and trooney like this.
  6. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

The catalyst gets to about 1500* and all the gases are burned completely. Which means you get every last btu out of the wood.
    Making the cat stoves (and hybrid stoves) the most efficient. The grams of particulates going into the air are amazingly low.

Here's an interesting article about the EPA's clean stove challenge in 2013.
    Woodstock Soapstone captures the Wood Stove Decathlon Grand Prize

SKEETER McCLUSKEY and trooney like this.
  7. trooney

trooney

Thanks for the replies. Now I'm really confused!! Lol. My original plan was to replace the pellet stove upstairs with a wood insert, but reading that woodstoves are more efficient and can get better burn times. Which would mean getting rid of the wood furnace downstairs. I was planning on keeping that and maybe running it once in a while. My problem is I have 1300 sq ft raised rancher and I dont know how the woodstove will heat the upstairs being in the basement. Right now the wood furnace goes throught the ductwork.

TurboDiesel likes this.
  8. chris

chris

stove and inserts are area heaters not a forced air like the furnace some have had good results from the basement with a stove others only so so or not happy. a centrally located stove on the main floor is about the best location wise- still the the outlying rooms are going to be cooler. heat rises so it naturally finds its way up stairs course the amount going up has to be replaced by the cold air coming down leading to drafts particularly on stairways . again depending stove location and home layout this can be quite uncomfortable.

wildwest likes this.
  9. Highbeam

Highbeam

Since ash volume seems to be so important to you please remember that the amount of ash is hugely dependent on the type of wood. I have burned just over two cords so far this year and only have about an inch of ash in the bottom of my princess stove to show for it. Douglas fir makes almost zero ash in my experience whether burning in my cat stove or my cheap noncat stove that has a much lower emissions rating.

TurboDiesel, wildwest and trooney like this.
  10. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

We had a BK King Insert in here when we bought the place. It was dilapidated and abused (and slammer installation), and still burned well. Put it this way, we made it through the worst winter I have ever seen including a -37* F stretch of days (no furnace here). Around here BK is still considered a Cadillac stove......

ETA trooney , you can burn a great fire when the power is out, but not in a pellet stove.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    papadave and trooney like this.
  11. trooney

trooney

Mostly oak ( red, white, pin) and cherry. Dont have any Douglas firs in this neck of the woods. I guess I'll stick with my original plan and put an insert in. I'm used to the bedrooms being colder from the pellet insert. Thats not a big deal.

12. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Cherry makes 2-3 times more ash than oak, but it makes great heat.

trooney and chance04 like this.
  13. Blazing

Blazing

I'd keep the furnace and add the insert. Stoves can heat from basements but it's hit and miss for sure. Plus you would need to run the stove harder from the basement which would cut down on the magical burn times significantly. BK are good stoves but when run hard you lose alot of the gap between them and most other stoves. Just my two cents ymmv.

swags and trooney like this.