In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Anyone ever burned Lignetics?

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by Cash Larue, Jan 15, 2023.

1. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

I’ve never heard of these. They are $9 a bag at Murdoch’s.

I answered this ad on Craigslist. The lady says the pellets are dry in her shed. She wants $5 per bag. I’m going to pick them up when I get off work next week, as long as you guys don’t think they are junk.

wood pellet fuel - general for sale - by owner

MikeInMa likes this.
  2. Tullytown

Tullytown

A couple ticks above standard box store hardwoods. I would buy them.

Cash Larue likes this.
  3. figor

figor

I just bought a ton from Rural King. I think it must be Last year’s leftover. Had 8 wet bags out of the pallet. Started burning them this morning. I’ve been burning Somersets.
    The Ligs are about the same. Maybe a little more heat. Tad more ash. I’ll probably buy more if I need them. I think I have enough to get to the first week of February then I’m going to burn up the last ton of coal I had leftover from last year.

I’ve read Lignetics has several different varieties so your mile may vary. $9 a bag is insane. I can get coal for that and have way more btu per 40 lb bag.

corncob and Cash Larue like this.
  4. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

Do you burn coal in your pellet burner?

Here is a screenshot from Murdoch's. I buy a lot of pellets from them. Never bought Lignetics though.

Screen Shot 2023-01-15 at 9.38.45 PM.png

5. bogieb

bogieb

Lignetics has bought so many pellet mills, it's tough to know exactly what you are getting. I mean, GS are Lignetics, but it still depends on the flavor as to how good they are. Since those don't say Super Premium, my guess is they are a bit ashy (but could be wrong). That being said, I've never burned a Liggie product that didn't put out decent heat.

buZZsaw BRAD, Cash Larue and MikeInMa like this.
  6. Snowy Rivers

Snowy Rivers

We see those in the big box shops from time to time...I have bought some and they were OK.
    Out here in the PACNW we don't see that brand often.
    My rule of thumb on pellets is/was....if it burns good and heats the shack....

All of the "Lower quality" stuff will have one major issue.....The plants scrape up anything that will burn and toss in the mix.

Tree bark can and does collect non burnable materials......DIRT......This crap will detract from the heating in some stoves as it melts at high temps and forms a gray/black blob (Clinker) to form....
    Normally it is not a big issue.......

If the price is reasonable Liggy's are not a bad choice.......

Cash Larue likes this.
  7. figor

figor

No I have a Clayton wood coal furnace. I mostly burn coal but if I can get any wood I burn it. I also have a Warm Morning coal stove upstairs I us as well.

When I burn pellets i use my Enviro Omega primarily and burn the Harman Accentra pellet stove in the shoulder seasons. I have been burning coal mostly for quite a few years but the recent spike in coal prices has me burning pellets. Coal is $9-$10 a bag now and pellets are $5 a bag here. This is the type ligs we get here. These have been throwing some good heat so I’m happy so far. Just kind of dusty.

Rural King only has about two pallets left then the rest of their stock is Freedoms. I’ve never heard of that brand so I’ll have to buy a couple bags and try them first if I don’t get the Ligs. Menards switched from Somersets, which is pretty much all I have ever burned other than a few oddball bags of stuff I didn’t like. I can’t remember what they had. I’ll have to investigate next time I’m in there since choices seem to be dwindling.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
    bogieb and Cash Larue like this.
  8. corncob

corncob

Way back when I roasted them but not lately, not here anymore. 9 a sack is way over the top but then next year, might be cheap. For me, was a good pellet, good heat, not too much ash either not that my stoves are that particular because they aren't If it was me, I'd negotiate a better price. MHW and Somersets here now.

I could probably burn rice coal in my stove but again, not here.

Hopefully, my corn gets cranked up for next year. Fingers crossed on that score. I can easily go to 2/3rds corn and 1/3rd pellets if need be. Just have to clean it more often (and make a mess in the gravel driveway).

Cash Larue likes this.
  9. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Those are what we used to call the orange bag liggies! Good chit right there!! Mostly great quality Douglas fir fiber with some other softies mixed. The best pellet IMHO that Lignetics makes.

Since lignetics picked up/bought many other pellet manufacturers you can get them in the Green Supreme(Which we call GS) from the box stores. I think this confused many of the east coast burners which could only get the green or blue bagged Lignetics over yonder. We don't see many of the west coast orange bagged liggies and or the GS's that are made at the Lignets Hood River plant.

See chart for where the GS's come out of(mill).

Green_Supreme_Spec_Chart_7bc4d6d6-0511-42f1-b4f9-ab3dae0659c2.png

Cash Larue, Skier76, bogieb and 3 others like this.
  10. figor

figor

I just wanted to update how these GS are burning. My stove is an Enviro Omega and I’ve basically only burned Somersets in it. I always would get heavy carbon build up in the pot after about a week. I could tell build up by the noise the agitator makes when turning. I could continue burning for another week after this and then remover liner and clean the carbon. Well it’s been a week on the GS and so far no noise at all from the agitator. This is a very good sign. I hope the next week goes this quietly. I should also add that I do a high burn once a day to help eliminate carbon. Did it with the Somersets too.

Cash Larue and bogieb like this.
  11. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

If they are the white bags with the red / orange words as shown here, they are good stuff. Like JT said - those are are the softwood variety. A number of years back (2014-ish maybe?) a few of us here on the east coast were lucky enough to find Pres-to-Logs softwoods pellets at the local home depot stores. I still have a few bags in my stash, and I think fellow forum member slvrblkk does too. They are outstanding. Man those were the good old days, we used to see all kinds of different pellet options show up, particularly at home depot and TSC. Greenways, Somersets, PTL Softies, Blazers, AWFs, etc. Anyway, the pellets you posted in the picture were believed to be the same product as the PTL Softies. If you do get them, I'm curious to hear what you think of them.
    :popcorn:

12. Tullytown

Tullytown

Yes.. I remember burning those Pl back in the day. Steve turned me on to them. Great stuff..also American wood Fibers and LeCrete come to mind then.

Cash Larue, PelletHound and bogieb like this.
  13. gbreda

gbreda

These have been primary pellet for many years. Not burning this year (health reasons) but if I recall correctly, Henry told me late last winter that Lacrete were going way up this year-but what hasn't right?

14. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

Yes I do :thumbs:

That's what we call "the good chit," :D

15. will711

will711

I still have some of the " Good Chit " too :smoke::D

16. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

:D

17. will711

will711

Those were the good old days .. it was fun to go to HD , Lowe's, Tsc,and see what flavor they had in stock . Now it's pretty much all the same GS no matter where you go at least around my Hood , it's kinda sad ...

18. gbreda

gbreda

Dont forget Firesides at HD which were good burning pellets.

19. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

I still have a ton of them in my mom's garage that I bought 3 years ago....maybe a bit longer ago

20. Iron Stove

Iron Stove

Somebody say fireside :D 20230123_215106.jpg

gbreda, Cash Larue, Tullytown and 7 others like this.